What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

I heard a friend of mine (Rebekah’s her name) laugh for the first time

Spoiler

Just for context...I’ve known her for nearly a year now. Sat next to her in algebra. She’s deaf (the only ASL I know is ‘I love you’ (a bit much, don’t you think?) and ‘May I have a cookie?’ (I don’t even like cookies) [I have been learning ASL...I am unfortunately rubbish at it] So really we just write everything down on paper/we just read each other’s lips. (Doesn’t always work that well, as you could imagine) Now with masks and what-not, we’ve had a really hard time talking to each other...but  we do occasionally get to talk w/out masks. I told her a joke...and she laughed. Most beautiful sound I’ve ever heard. 

Technically this happened yesterday, but y’know...

Edited by Lewie

Now that my old cats are no longer with me and the backyard is free feline real estate, a turf war had broken out. This guy won the exclusive ownership of my backyard and let me tell you, he's straight outta Wakanda.

bdyjEzL.jpg

In our culture, cats are usually considered as inauspicious, but black cats are considered the Bogeyman. People don't mess with the black cat. They say that if you hurt a black cat, you will be cursed in life and never find salvation. People are also wary of guys who are 'accepted' by a black cat because they fear that they might catch bad luck. <I have been getting weird glances>

This cat is absolutely terrifying after dusk. In the dark, it would come at you out of nowhere like Batman. Only his eyes and his excessively sharp teeth are visible and its absolutely frightening.

I dont want the cat to stay, of course. Not after I lost so many other cats to human apathy. But this cat is not leaving.

Man. Been having a great weekend. Bummed around the house on Wednesday (college gives me the day before Thanksgiving off), played some KSP, played some boardgames, did some light prep for Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving day we had an amazing Thanksgiving dinner courtesy of my wife, then hung around digesting and relaxing. Friday we went out and cut our Christmas tree in the forest, like we always do, then spent the afternoon decorating the house for Christmas. Today was range day, went out and spent the afternoon putting some lead down range, which is never less than awesome. Just got done with late lunch/early dinner and cleaning guns. Kids are in the dining room making gingerbread houses now, I'm sitting here sipping whiskey. Everything has been really relaxed, been sleeping in every day, hanging out, no rush. Why can't all of life be like this? :)

8 hours ago, Delay said:

Whatever that F1 race in Bahrain today was, I don't think I'm going to forget that for a while.

I decided against watching the Desert triple header, believing it would be HAM-BOT-VER again, but YIKES! Glad the HALO worked and Romain survived, the guy's seat was lodged in between the  barriers i think.

Also, Perez missing the podium :(

I finished putting together the off-brand launch tower for my Lego Saturn V. It took me three days and a fair amount of skin off my fingertips, with a lot of questionable design and equally questionable part quality, but it is absolutely a proper display stand for the thing. Scott Manley did a video about the same set:

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I finished putting together the off-brand launch tower for my Lego Saturn V. It took me three days and a fair amount of skin off my fingertips, with a lot of questionable design and equally questionable part quality, but it is absolutely a proper display stand for the thing. Scott Manley did a video about the same set:

Hide contents

Pix or it din’t happen. -_-

Today I was driving and I saw a woman walking down the street (main drag, Central Ave, aka rt66) wearing a mask and nitrile gloves.

Pandemic, duh, fairly normal (though wearing a mask outside is a litmus test for stupid). Except this is Albuquerque. The next pedestrian on this busiest road in town was 100m away and on the other side of the street, lol. If you wear a mask because people might be as close as the next house, etc... congrats, you've been terrorized. Whatever, there are idiots driving with face rags, too—alone (guess even Pop Tarts need instructions, so I'm unsurprised). Anyway, she hits crosswalk button (that's it's own level of funny, as they don't do anything here, like most places), then sprays her gloves with hand sanitizer. Course I was driving after NOT going to CostCo, since my idiot Governor—an aficionado of "science"—set businesses to 25% of their max occupancy or 75 people, whichever is lower. 75 people is safe in my small, local Albertson's, but 76 people in Costco is dangerous, even though Costco is >3X the area (and way higher ceilings so more volume) of the grocery store (I measured on Google Earth). As a result, CostCo might as well be a toilet paper line in the Soviet Union. Yeah, no, didn't go there.

3 minutes ago, tater said:

Today I was driving and I saw a woman walking down the street (main drag, Central Ave, aka rt66) wearing a mask and nitrile gloves.

Pandemic, duh, fairly normal (though wearing a mask outside is a litmus test for stupid). Except this is Albuquerque. The next pedestrian on this busiest road in town was 100m away and on the other side of the street, lol. If you wear a mask because people might be as close as the next house, etc... congrats, you've been terrorized. Whatever, there are idiots driving with face rags, too—alone (guess even Pop Tarts need instructions, so I'm unsurprised). Anyway, she hits crosswalk button (that's it's own level of funny, as they don't do anything here, like most places), then sprays her gloves with hand sanitizer. Course I was driving after NOT going to CostCo, since my idiot Governor—an aficionado of "science"—set businesses to 25% of their max occupancy or 75 people, whichever is lower. 75 people is safe in my small, local Albertson's, but 76 people in Costco is dangerous, even though Costco is >3X the area (and way higher ceilings so more volume) of the grocery store (I measured on Google Earth). As a result, CostCo might as well be a toilet paper line in the Soviet Union. Yeah, no, didn't go there.

My favorite mask story so far: I was sitting at a light on one of the main drags in town. I see a guy drive through the intersection the other way on a motorcycle. Without a helmet. Wearing a mask. Because, you know, he's concerned about his health. :rolleyes:

My kids came up with a new car game. It's like Slug Bug, except now it's Mask Slap. They're looking for people who are alone in their cars, with the windows rolled up, wearing masks. When they're the first one to see one they get to slug their adjacent sibling in the arm (lightly).

55 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Without a helmet. Wearing a mask. Because, you know, he's concerned about his health.

Yeah, pretty hysterical.

Every time I see someone who looks concerned, or overhear a conversation by someone who is deeply concerned, or loves the government mandates... and is obese, I wonder what they have been doing the last 7-8 months, since you can drop your BMI given the better part of a year to do so.

If you are concerned about COVID-19, and have been since Spring, and you are still fat, you're not actually concerned, stop wrecking my kids' life. I'm cool with helping out the vulnerable, but not people vulnerable BY CHOICE. Put down the twinkies.

(it's funny when there's a new shutdown there's a run on cleaning supplies, and TP (the latter because people are not using bathrooms at school/work as much), and PASTA. The foods that disappear are universally stuff those people probably should not be eating so much of (unless they are marathon runners, then by all means carb load).

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Entropian said:

Yeah, I saw that last night as well.  I'm planning to take my telescope out for tomorrow night, when they'll be the closest.  A visible great conjunction hasn't happened in, what, 800 years?

Something like that. I was only able to view them with binoculars (I don't have a telescope) but it was still fantastic.