What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

I was chatting about it with a guy while I was waiting in line at O'Reilly's, and he was all, "Man, I wish my dad had taught me to work on cars like that." And that's the amusing part for me: My dad never worked on a car his entire life. I only started doing this about six years ago. Uncle Sam's Canoe Club taught me which end of a wrench is which, and Haynes manuals and Youtube videos taught me the rest.

Yesterday was the flock's first real snow day. :D

And they were having NONE of it. :(

The chickens just sat huddled in the one little corner of the run that wasn't snow-covered or hid in their heated (!) roost. The ducks, as usual, gave no... cares. <_<

Opened the door to the paddock and the ducks waddled right out, grumbling under their breaths the whole time, as is their way. The chickens just... pouted. So, like any responsible flock-keeper, I did the only decent thing I could do at that point.

I rounded them up and threw them out. -_-
Gotta build character, y'know?

ouW3c7U.jpg

And here's where it got interesting... and funny. 2020's birds, the Peeper Trio and the Tiny Velociraptors, they adjusted pretty quick once they realized there was food to be eaten, but the OG chickens from the year before, they just kind of... stood there. Like they were, well, frozen.

Just look at this majestic, tailless, Flock-of-Seagulls-haired ball of anger and aggression:

L5AyYVf.jpg

He never lets me get that close. At least not without a fight. I couldn't even herd them back into the run, they stumbled one step at a time or jump-flew, as if they couldn't figure out they could walk in the snow. I had to grab them one at a time and move them back inside. Where they went back to huddling and pouting. Except the ducks, who just went to sleep on the snow.

Also, this:

bzEealy.jpg

tho I can't take credit. 

My city is seeing snow for the first time in at least 3 years. As of my writing there is an INCH!! of the stuff on the ground. I know technically its not a lot but for my town an eighth of an inch of ice shut us down earlier this evening, so, for me its positively delightful to see! We are expecting upwards of 4 inches, again for us thats extreme! Snow, here, whod have thought!

31 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

My city is seeing snow for the first time in at least 3 years. As of my writing there is an INCH!! of the stuff on the ground. I know technically its not a lot but for my town an eighth of an inch of ice shut us down earlier this evening, so, for me its positively delightful to see! We are expecting upwards of 4 inches, again for us thats extreme! Snow, here, whod have thought!

It's a time to update the set of memes.

google, pictures, "meme i survived the blizzard"

10 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Id settle for my power staying on right now. Ive lost power 3 times over the last hour. Its 10 or so degrees outside and my city as unequipped to deal with this as they are seem to be rolling black outs that last 10-15 min. Im sick of the power failures tbh. I want to play ffxiv or watch netflix but i cant...

for anyone following along my power just return at 0300... so far it went out at 0205, 0240, 0254... will update as things progress

well its 0423 and my power failed again.  This is ridiculous.

currently 0650 and power still down, wind is blowing....

i want to thank those who are following my frigid lil saga.

we are now 3 hours in. Its now 12 degrees F (-11.1111 degrees Celsius for you @kerbiloid) and still no power...

This will be my last edit for a while as im gonna try to sleep.  As i write we have passed 3 hours 30 minutes since my power went down. It has fallen to 10 degrees F again.

brief update then going back to sleep. In just 3 minutes i will not have had power or heat for 7 hours. 18 degrees f outside. Very windy.

and this 8 hours no power... 18 degrees F outside, windy... going to sleep some more lol

Edited by AlamoVampire

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

KMO_180184_00008_1_t244_112922.webp

5 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

I know technically its not a lot

I counted about a foot where I am. At least one station recorded 69 cm.

Moar:

Spoiler

800x01613224179.JPG

800x01613224174.JPG

KMO_180201_00125_1_t237_212013.webp

KMO_180220_00008_1_t244_212044.webp

2 hours ago, DDE said:

KMO_180184_00008_1_t244_112922.webp

I counted about a foot where I am. At least one station recorded 69 cm.

Moar:

Hide contents

800x01613224179.JPG

800x01613224174.JPG

KMO_180201_00125_1_t237_212013.webp

KMO_180220_00008_1_t244_212044.webp

My friend in Katy, TX got an inch of snow, paralyzed his entire city. He called in snow and is "working from home" today. I believe in his case working from home involves XBox and day drinking. :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

My friend in Katy, TX got an inch of snow, paralyzed his entire city.

It only happens once every few years, so no one here knows how to drive in it, and there's no infrastructure for dealing with it. 

16 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I believe in his case working from home involves XBox and day drinking.

Is that not what it means?

11 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Id settle for my power staying on right now. Ive lost power 3 times over the last hour. Its 10 or so degrees outside and my city as unequipped to deal with this as they are seem to be rolling black outs that last 10-15 min. Im sick of the power failures tbh. I want to play ffxiv or watch netflix but i cant...

My wife says the hospital is hosed here in NM (and others around the country) because they use EPIC, and the datacenter is in Houston.

6 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Well i have power back. It has been back 4 hours. Here is hoping it stays back! 11 hours 20 minutes no power grand total.

Reminds me of the great ice raim of 2010. Luckily, we had a generator by then.

I was driving home from work down the highway with the Sun and blue sky at my back, with a dark wall of menacing grey ahead (turned out to be a blast of enough hail to coat roofs). The road got steadily wetter until the trucks were throwing waves of spray into the sunlit air. It was like driving through a rainbow :happy: