What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

ma fell down and dislocated and/or broke her elbow. they medivaced her to anchorage for surgery.  as a result i get a much needed vacation from my caregiver gig. frankly her ocd was starting to drive me bonkers. 

4 minutes ago, Nuke said:

ma fell down and dislocated and/or broke her elbow. they medivaced her to anchorage for surgery.  as a result i get a much needed vacation from my caregiver gig. frankly her ocd was starting to drive me bonkers. 

Don't really want to "like" this post, but I hope however the situation is it's to your benefit, even if briefly :)

I dont know if its interesting but i know it isnt funny. My role as a caregiver for my mother is winding down to an end in the next 2 weeks she will be moving out from where we live into an assisted living facility. I have had the fortune to be able to live with her my whole life and care for her directly for the last few years. I urge everyone to cherish even the smallest things if you have the fortune to have your parents in your lives still. Send warm thoughts our way, we would appreciate it in this time of tremendous change.

grammar fix

Edited by AlamoVampire

So I ordered a set of small (down to 1.5mm head size) stripped screw extractors.    I have a standard set, but they’re just a touch to big for the M5 and T7 type stuff I have to deal with.   $18.    Ok not bad.   10 drills, 10 extractors.     

Open the box,  there’s a card in there promising a $25 gift card for a 5 star review. 

Well Heck.  

So I leave the 5 star rating, with a title like “They paid me $25 for this review”.  

Contacted the email addy on the card.   Numerous back and forths.    Finally after about 40 emails of me badgering them over about 3 hours, they sent me the gift card code. 

\o/

I then promptly changed the review to 3 stars, because my initial impressions on the quality of the item are not good, but I really won’t know till I have a chance to use it.   I don’t like misleading people when they are making a purchase. 

12 hours ago, Gargamel said:

So I ordered a set of small (down to 1.5mm head size) stripped screw extractors.    I have a standard set, but they’re just a touch to big for the M5 and T7 type stuff I have to deal with.   $18.    Ok not bad.   10 drills, 10 extractors.     

Open the box,  there’s a card in there promising a $25 gift card for a 5 star review. 

Well Heck.  

So I leave the 5 star rating, with a title like “They paid me $25 for this review”.  

Contacted the email addy on the card.   Numerous back and forths.    Finally after about 40 emails of me badgering them over about 3 hours, they sent me the gift card code. 

\o/

I then promptly changed the review to 3 stars, because my initial impressions on the quality of the item are not good, but I really won’t know till I have a chance to use it.   I don’t like misleading people when they are making a purchase. 

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Screw extractors screwed.

But now you should check if the 25 USD haven't been changed to just 15.

They  never mentioned that it was Zimbabwean dollars

And we don't know if he tried to get those dollars from the "gift card", or still keeps thinking they're real.

While he was ddosing their e-mail, they were photoshopping the card. That's why it took so long.

Spoiler

Unrelated.

Just came in mind.

Starbucks.
5 star - 5 bucks.

Edited by kerbiloid

I had my first motor accident!!! :D  This incident is funny because I never had such an adrenaline high before :)

I was driving my Scooty and a cat came out of nowhere in front of me and then I lost control and skidded into the rainwater ditch. Then a switch flipped inside me and I DRAGGED the 120 kg scooter 5 feet over a steep incline. (Despite being only 51 kg) A kind gentleman wanted to help  me  but my adrenaline filled brain made me shout obscenities at him... I wish I had not done that.

So I managed to drag the scooter out of the ditch and returned home as if nothing ever happened. I had a few scratches on my thighs and palms. But as the adrenaline wore off, my entire body started aching and I have not been able to sleep properly.. I took painkillers but I did not tell my parents about this. They would revoke my scooter privileges if I told them.

Oh and the scooter is okay too, miraculously!

14 minutes ago, Nivee~ said:

had my first motor accident!!! :D  This incident is funny because I never had such an adrenaline high before :)

Adrenaline is a helluva drug. :o Glad to hear you’re ok but you’ll be even more sore tomorrow, I’d suggest from experience getting checked out by a doctor ASAP, little things you don’t notice right away can sneak up on you, especially if there’s ANY chance you hit your head, even with a helmet on. 

On 3/11/2021 at 12:58 PM, Nivee~ said:

I had my first motor accident ! This incident is funny because I never had such an adrenaline high before...

... my entire body started aching and I have not been able to sleep properly.

Stay safe when driving ! I'd say that one or two falls are a common part of everyone's history with driving motorcycles. I fell down twice - once on loose sand, once on an oil spill (that had covered the whole road). You never know the limits of your motorcycle and your driving until it comes, and I'd say that having such events make you recognize what has to be done better in such situations.

Although if your body starts to ache I suggest looking up a physician. It means that it was probably bad enough that your body have a trauma afterwards. I didn't after mine, but on an unrelated injury that happened to me, when the feeling wore off and the proper pain comes I slept straight to the next day.

Ten years ago today, a Mw9.1 earthquake struck the north-east coast of Japan, triggering a large tsunami that damaged many buildings, as well as the second worst nuclear accident after Chernobyl. Aftershocks of the earthquake are still felt today, the most recent large one happening only a month ago.

Edited by YNM

Completed my second day of lifeguarding :)

It’s pretty fun job, aside from standing around on concrete for hours on end, with absolutely zero mental stimulation. Pays well, though. 

Spoiler

I’m not complaining about it, heavens no. I am very glad to have a job, I’m just saying that it gets a bit mind-numbing.

So today I completed the second day of in-person school! 

It is thousands of times better being in the classroom that being cooped up in my room all day.

Plus, I have reconnected with friends that I haven't seen in a year!

Unfortunately, I only get to go in-person on Thursday and Friday, so there's a small downside. 

Overall, I am just really happy to have a change in routine, and get some actual social interaction in. :D

15 minutes ago, Lewie said:

It’s pretty fun job, aside from standing around on concrete for hours on end, with absolutely zero mental stimulation. Pays well, though. 

That sounds about right. My brother was a lifeguard in the before times. He had pretty much the same opinion.

Be careful with the head! Make sure that mind numbness is the boring, not the head injury :sticktongue:

I am frankly not sure where to put this. Seeing as I made mention of it in this thread, I figure I will leave my update here as well. Mods, if either my update or its initial comment from a few days ago or both need to be moved elsewhere feel free to plunk them down where they should be. My clarity of thought is as fog right now. That said, here is my update: Earlier today my role as primary care giver to my mother came to an unceremonious end. Right now as I type this she is now living in an assisted living facility in their memory care area. I am more than a little scared for her. Suffice it to say her short term memory has issues and I fear she will awaken during the night and be completely unaware of where she is and stress herself into a stroke or heart attack. I hope I am wrong, but fear I am all too right. I know this subject matter is not exactly light but, I have been apart of this community since 2013 and feel some bit of catharses sharing this bit of my private world with you all. Please wish my mother and myself well as we both adjust to this new situation. If any are curious over time how things are progressing feel free to ping me here or simply DM me and I will update you.

39 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

I am frankly not sure where to put this. Seeing as I made mention of it in this thread, I figure I will leave my update here as well. Mods, if either my update or its initial comment from a few days ago or both need to be moved elsewhere feel free to plunk them down where they should be. My clarity of thought is as fog right now. That said, here is my update: Earlier today my role as primary care giver to my mother came to an unceremonious end. Right now as I type this she is now living in an assisted living facility in their memory care area. I am more than a little scared for her. Suffice it to say her short term memory has issues and I fear she will awaken during the night and be completely unaware of where she is and stress herself into a stroke or heart attack. I hope I am wrong, but fear I am all too right. I know this subject matter is not exactly light but, I have been apart of this community since 2013 and feel some bit of catharses sharing this bit of my private world with you all. Please wish my mother and myself well as we both adjust to this new situation. If any are curious over time how things are progressing feel free to ping me here or simply DM me and I will update you.

That's tough.

My mom lost her memory shortly before her death, but as the result of cancer metastasis to the brain, so not at all the same. None the less it was difficult. A friend's mom has been in a memory care facility for a few years now. I don't think you have to worry about it triggering an MI or stroke (unless someone there told you that's a real concern), but the difficulty of her memory loss will obviously be difficult, I'm sorry. I think you have to live in the moment with her when you visit, it's the best you can do. You can always ask the nurses there, they see that stuff all the time, and can probably give you a pretty solid idea of what to expect.