What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

2 hours ago, tater said:

That's tough.

My mom lost her memory shortly before her death, but as the result of cancer metastasis to the brain, so not at all the same. None the less it was difficult. A friend's mom has been in a memory care facility for a few years now. I don't think you have to worry about it triggering an MI or stroke (unless someone there told you that's a real concern), but the difficulty of her memory loss will obviously be difficult, I'm sorry. I think you have to live in the moment with her when you visit, it's the best you can do. You can always ask the nurses there, they see that stuff all the time, and can probably give you a pretty solid idea of what to expect.

Sorry for your loss of your mother. No one in particular has stated its such a risk, it is more of my experience with my mother and her particular health concerns that give me concern. But each person has a unique biology and will react uniquely. No one regardless of experience or education/training can say 100% for sure what will happen and can only speculate. Its that uncertainty of how her mind and biology will ultimately react that concerns me.

• 2 weeks later...

The 1.11-compatible Orion appears to be very nice.

I was aware of two Orions (@Nyrath & @TiktaalikDreaming which is outdated for a while, and the USI one, which is too cartoonish for me), but this third is working and looks enough metallic.

I got the chance to be an actual real hero monday evening!!! To explain I need to tell a little backstory. Most days of the week I tend to go to Chick Fil A for food, twice a day. On Sundays when they are closed and when my mother was living with me I would go get us italian, but, since I had to move her to an Assisted Living Facility over a week ago I have been going different places on Sunday for food as, I am still rather emotionally raw about it all and cannot handle going to the place I would get us our Sunday treat of italian food. SO, on Sunday I decided I wanted BBQ from a little place in the next town over, so, when i thought they still had an hour left of business <around 1911> I showed up to order some BBQ to go they were closed. I decided I would return the next day earlier in the evening, and that was yesterday. I showed up around 1830 to order food and yay they were open. I parked and noticed that the smoke house was smokier than usual, but, considering we had a bit of wind I paid no mind to it and went in to order. I place my order and went out to my car to be socially distant and after 25 minutes went back inside. I grabbed my food and went back out to my car. I should note I was parked maybe 40 feet MAX from the smokehouse. Anyway, I start walking to the car and looked into the smokehouse and saw naked flames. Seeing as during my wait for my food I saw people milling about behind me I figured someone from the store opened the pit to add more meat or wood and was ready to call it and get in the car. BUT, something just did NOT feel right, and I walked closer and looked into the smokehouse. Thats when I saw that the flames I saw was the pit and its surrounding structure actually BURNING, as in, on fire in a way other than to cook food. I ran into the store to tell them they needed to get someone outside as the smokehouse was starting to burn. One employee after about 10-15 seconds of processing what I had just said ran outside via a back door. By time I got outside he was already hosing the pit area down. After he got those flames out he opened the pit itself up and under normal circumstances seeing a few small flames as the wood burns slow is common, but, this time? The whole of the inside pit was rolling flames. It was incredible to see. Now, before I am asked let me answer some questions I am sure you want to ask:

1. I did not call 9-1-1 as the fire was still small enough that they had about 2-3 minutes before it was past the point that a garden hose could control it. This proved correct when the employee was able to douse the entire thing and bring the situation to a resolution.

2. No, I did not seek some kind of reward for my action, I just did what I did because it was the right thing to do.

3. This marks the third time they have had a fire there. First was about a decade ago or so that gutted the entire inside of the building, a few years later they lost the smokehouse to this exact sort of fire and had installed a camera to watch for this exact thing. This was the third time. The fire was still small enough that the smoke from it was hidden in the smoke coming from within the pit and on CCTV could have easily been mistaken for that.

4. I am fairly certain that had I not been there at that time and had they not been delayed by 30 minutes from being overly popular monday evening that they would have noticed the fire at a point where the towns Fire Station <oddly only like 2-3 blocks away, yup, small country town> would have been needed to stop the fire.

SO, thats what happened to me that is interesting lol.

So, this happened... :blink:

KamiirD.png

Excuse me while I...

Spoiler

UnrealisticFilthyBullfrog-size_restricte

It's been a rough couple of weeks after all.

066MEnj.gif

tumblr_maqhhvBVPX1qm6sfao2_500.gif

068fea5147acb840bf58e1cd22cd5a8e.gif

I'm telling myself it's an entirely sensible decision, playing whack-a-mole  with my 17-year-old noisy smelly diesel is just no longer tenable, and I've come to really hate stopping for fuel. Besides, it's "only" a used 2018 that can tow and haul and make it up the hill to the cabin on the back acre. Yes, quite sensible.

I'm almost starting to believe myself.

giphy.gif

I think I need an adult beverage now.

Or maybe just an adult. :/

27 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

KamiirD.png

Excuse me while I...

Hide contents

UnrealisticFilthyBullfrog-size_restricte

It's been a rough couple of weeks after all.

066MEnj.gif

tumblr_maqhhvBVPX1qm6sfao2_500.gif

068fea5147acb840bf58e1cd22cd5a8e.gif

I'm telling myself it's an entirely sensible decision, playing whack-a-mole  with my 17-year-old noisy smelly diesel is just no longer tenable, and I've come to really hate stopping for fuel. Besides, it's "only" a used 2018 that can tow and haul and make it up the hill to the cabin on the back acre. Yes, quite sensible.

I'm almost starting to believe myself.

giphy.gif

I think I need an adult beverage now.

Or maybe just an adult. :/

I am like sooooooo jelly. Congrats 

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

my 17-year-old noisy smelly diesel is just no longer tenable, and I've come to really hate stopping for fuel.

Now you can just put a cistern of fuel and the noisy smelly diesel next to the neighbors backyard and attach a generator to recharge the eco-friendly green Tesla!

On 3/24/2021 at 8:53 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

I am like sooooooo jelly. Congrats 

Remind me after I make the first payment. :confused:

Spoiler

Ha9PfmNh.jpg

On 3/24/2021 at 10:28 PM, kerbiloid said:

Now you can just put a cistern of fuel and the noisy smelly diesel next to the neighbors backyard and attach a generator to recharge the eco-friendly green Tesla!

Tried that. Din't werk. <_<

Spoiler

tMa188M.jpg

4 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I made a thing.

I had those exact same bunk beds in college. :D

while I was busy flunking remedial algebra... 

On 2/28/2021 at 8:08 AM, YNM said:

I live on the equator, air conditioning for cooling is a must even in rain season. I've read from a long time ago that there are reversible ones and I've always wondered how exactly one would reverse it, and what it would look like...

... and now there's a sequel.

On 3/23/2021 at 12:52 AM, AlamoVampire said:

(...) looked into the smokehouse and saw naked flames. (...) BUT, something just did NOT feel right (...). Thats when I saw that the flames I saw was the pit and its surrounding structure actually BURNING (...). By time I got outside he was already hosing the pit area down. After he got those flames out he opened the pit itself up (...) The whole of the inside pit was rolling flames. It was incredible to see.

Good for you, the only time I've ever noticed a fire was actually underway was on a dense slum a few hundred meters away from the construction site I was in. Ended up only watching things burn down really. Was thinking of calling the emergency line but I wasn't even close to it nor I know the exact location (slums are incredibly difficult to navigate, harder if you're looking from roof level and can't see down).

On 3/24/2021 at 9:25 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

Cool. I drove my friend's and it's... insane.

I was coming up the S curves towards our houses (it was a few of the guys in the neighborhood taking turns driving it all loaded in) after dinner, and I usually go through at ~50 mph (80 kph), and no being used to the screen position (not a huge fan of that aspect), I drove through on feel... buddy in the back seat said, "Dude, you're doing 80." Felt glued to the road (low CM).

That's aside from the usual organ-shifting acceleration.

Suddenly watched the youtube video about how to respond on "thank you".

And there was #4 "The pleasure is mine!"

And that's right.

Spoiler

"Thank you!"

"The pleasure is mine! The talk is cheap. Shut up, take pickaxe, and mine!"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQk0ILVYOWXvyPv_Bztq4d

Walked into NAPA to get Exhaust Juice and a bulb for my car.   Decided to grab some Wipers too.   Guy says if I buy a $2 bucket, they'll take 20% off my whole order.     So I got me a bucket and saved about $15.    :D

Then.... :( ..... went to change the lightbulb.... whole housing crumbled in my hands.   What's left is held on by magnets until the replacement housing can arrive from where ever I ordered it from, local shop didn't have it, and couldn't find it.   Just want to keep water out of the trunk lid till then.   

On 3/24/2021 at 11:25 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

I'm telling myself it's an entirely sensible decision, playing whack-a-mole  with my 17-year-old noisy smelly diesel is just no longer tenable, and I've come to really hate stopping for fuel.

Congrats!    I love my little diesel.   40+mpg is really worth it., especially when I'm driving 100 miles a day.    I can really see the allure of never stopping for gas again.  I'm just happy I only stop every couple weeks. 

Last night I'm eating lunch during break, it's about 3am.

I'm up at the gas station, it's the only place open then, but they have good food.

Reading the news, listing to music, just sitting in my car.

See this guy walk out of the store, putting stuff back into his wallet.

Walks in front of my car, puts his wallet away, pulls out his phone.

Walks around to the passenger side of my car, fiddles with his phone.

I know what's happening, I'm starting to laugh already.

He opens the passenger door, starts to get in.   Sees that there's stuff on the seat.

Looks inside, audibly squeaks,   His eyes are huge O.O.

"Oh my god!  I'm Sorry!  Wrong Car!".

Closes the door, looks around.

There's his buddy in his similar, yet still very different car on the other side of the parking lot, making the international "What the heck are you doing!?" sign with his arms.

I'm laughing as they drive by, the passenger avoiding looking at me.

3 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Last night I'm eating lunch during break, it's about 3am.

I'm up at the gas station, it's the only place open then, but they have good food.

Reading the news, listing to music, just sitting in my car.

See this guy walk out of the store, putting stuff back into his wallet.

Walks in front of my car, puts his wallet away, pulls out his phone.

Walks around to the passenger side of my car, fiddles with his phone.

I know what's happening, I'm starting to laugh already.

He opens the passenger door, starts to get in.   Sees that there's stuff on the seat.

Looks inside, audibly squeaks,   His eyes are huge O.O.

"Oh my god!  I'm Sorry!  Wrong Car!".

Closes the door, looks around.

There's his buddy in his similar, yet still very different car on the other side of the parking lot, making the international "What the heck are you doing!?" sign with his arms.

I'm laughing as they drive by, the passenger avoiding looking at me.

I'd have asked him (very loudly) if he had bought me my Cheese Whiz.

On 4/5/2021 at 7:42 AM, Gargamel said:

Then.... :( ..... went to change the lightbulb.... whole housing crumbled in my hands.   What's left is held on by magnets until the replacement housing can arrive from where ever I ordered it from, local shop didn't have it, and couldn't find it.   Just want to keep water out of the trunk lid till then.   

Ah, the allure of old rides full of, er, character... <_<

I think I’m more looking forward to not having to deal with such anymore. For a while. 

Hopefully. 

T-12 hours... :confused:

4 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Ah, the allure of old rides full of, er, character... 

This is a newer car.   2013.   Rest of the car is in top shape.   I was very surprised at the condition of the housing.    Other housing on other side of the license plate is still mint.  

So, it happened. It actually happened. I own a Model X. :confused:

Well, the bank does. Along with my immortal soul and firstborn child. 

Still feel like I got away with something bank’s gonna be waiting a looooong time on that kid but the whole process went pretty smoothly, other than the showroom guy just taking forEVer on the paperwork. And they gave me a truly ridonkulous amount for my trade in. Might be awkward if it’s still sitting there, half-stuck back window and all, when I drive by on Monday. 

First thing I did: pickup chicken feed:

Spoiler

4tYw7vh.jpg

Yeah, this thing can hold a lot of chicken feed. And that’s not even the trunk trunk. 

Promptly thereafter, I committed pure sacrilege: 

Spoiler

A6ytfN4.jpg

And tomorrow we’re hooking up the trailer and hauling a load of crap to the dump, then picking up lumber and a new toilet. 

Yeah, it may present like a slightly-dated electric supercar with silly doors, but it identifies as an old farm truck. -_-

My head is still spinning. 
I think that second bag of feed might have been off...

This was more of what happened over the weekend, but I went to a go kart race.

Saturday morning there was controlled practice as there were 132 entries (usually about 70-80) because there were racing events at the track later in the week lol. And I somehow avoided a small wreck in one turn during practice lol (it was a bunch that spun out avoiding each other lol).

And then there was qualifying, i passed a few people, ended up 12th out of 20 in the same class. 
prefinal was a little crazy, a few went off, and I kinda kept up.

The main event was a lot of fun, I was keeping up with like four others, all slightly faster than each other but constant swapping lol. And two of them were getting a little rough with each other until after the last turn, one bumped the other one off the track lol... 

as me and dad were leaving, one of the classes was really big, constant stream go karts lol.

there was also cake since it was somebody’s birthday (not mine) lol