What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

My air conditioners drain pans AND drain lines (the pipes the condensation drips from, 1 primary and 1 backup) were trying to cosplay a swamp. Explains the swamp forming on my front porch as its been draining from the secondary since last summer. AC tech is clearing the system now as i type. I cant access it myself as its in my attic with no built in ladder. Built in the 70s by a curious architect with questionable skills lol.

A few days ago I ordered an oil lamp off ebay and today it arrived. The interesting part was what the chimney of the oil lamp (the glass thing over the wick/burner) was wrapped in. It was wrapped in an Aldi bag. I personally have never been to or even SEEN an Aldi in person, but know they exist thanks to a random youtube video. Gotta say I have gotten many a thing online with various things wrapping stuff, but a brown paper bag from an Aldi is a first. I know random thing and all.

5 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

A few days ago I ordered an oil lamp off ebay and today it arrived. The interesting part was what the chimney of the oil lamp (the glass thing over the wick/burner) was wrapped in. It was wrapped in an Aldi bag. I personally have never been to or even SEEN an Aldi in person, but know they exist thanks to a random youtube video. Gotta say I have gotten many a thing online with various things wrapping stuff, but a brown paper bag from an Aldi is a first. I know random thing and all.

That's okay, I'll continue the free association. I'm always laughing at NextDoor, it's probably one of the best comedy sites on the Internet. A few years ago our neighborhood group on there was all up in arms because all the Little Old Ladies wanted a new grocery store in our area, they were apparently tired of driving fifteen minutes to the existing grocery store. Aside from the fact that they were somehow convinced that the mayor and city council could force a grocery chain to build a new store somewhere and were simply choosing not to, there was a also very vocal contingent who refused to shop at Walmart, because they were too big and "corporate", but who swooned over Aldi and wished more than anything that one would be built here. So, the #1 retail chain in the world is too big for you, but the #4 retail chain in the world is just the right size? :D

We have Aldi, Lidl, Harris Teeter, Target, WalMart, Food Lion, Kroger, Sams, BJs, Ollies, Lowes Food, etc. etc. etc. 

Competition, that is when it actually works, it's when there is only one store in a 30+ mile radius when it is terrible. I hated living in a place with one store because of the monopolized prices and limited choices.

Regional sales rep stopped by the shop to give me an "attaboy". I went ahead and let her know about me considering moving on.

It's funny to me because she wanted me to stay on because of my performance and my knowledge and how I keep the company I work for from being liable. For me I do what I do because I believe in what I do in keeping people safe and making sure these new cars are repaired properly with no shortcuts. Just funny how different parts of a company look at the same thing in different ways.

It is truly amazing to watch the mental gymnastics that people will engage in to work through their cognitive dissonance.

Not commenting on anything or anyone on these forums, just commenting on things I am observing elsewhere IRL.

On 12/8/2020 at 11:21 AM, TheSaint said:

Been out working in the garage again. Quick trivia question. Show of hands: Who knows what this is?

9wKvu06h.jpg

I had one of these show up on my doorstep last Friday.

In a rather large box.