What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Today I learned that there is a Solidworks version for Makers/tinkerers/hobbists. It's actually quite nice with a decent set of features and integrated collaboration system (quite powerful, from what I've seen), Obviously that makes it, at least partly, cloud based (which you may view as a benefit or a drawback).  It's certainly affordable at only $99 + tax per year. There's also integration with a lot of other tools like CAM, workflow management and even ERP. Another quite nice aspect is that the license even allows you to sell stuff you make with it, up to, but not including, $2000 per year.

I know I may sound like I'm shilling this, so let me end with this: it has one deal breaker constraint that, for me, makes it absolutely unusable. Models made in this version are digitally watermarked in such a way that they can not be opened in any other version of SW, meaning that after you inevitably find out that your little 3020 tabletop router just won't cut it, you're SOL. You can't send your file to a proper machine shop to have it made.

I hope they lift this restriction and I may get it (if they also decide to offer it over here; currently there are some regional restrictions).

the aluminum siding on our house got me thinking. how do i get internet access on my porch through the massive faraday cage? ok so ive been thinking about that a while now. i mean the obvious answer is to stick a wifi repeater in the window. but thats the lame lame throwing the money at the problem that most normal people do. a less wasteful plan involves using one of my old routers as a bridge (which i use all the time in order to netboot new pcs and instal an os). i got 2 such routers flashed with ddwrt to enable this functionality. but no! whats the fun in using a ready made solution? a google search lead me to a github page hosting an esp8266 wifi repeater custom firmware for everyone's favorite $6 iot widget. after about four hours of hunting pinouts and running jumper wires and swearing at the flash utility, and then setting it up to connect to my network i managed to get the quarter-sized wifi repeater to work. i just need to stick it in the window and problem solved right? not so fast! because the speed test revealed this thing to cap out at about 420 kilobits a second. 

26 minutes ago, Nuke said:

the aluminum siding on our house got me thinking. how do i get internet access on my porch through the massive faraday cage? ok so ive been thinking about that a while now. i mean the obvious answer is to stick a wifi repeater in the window. but thats the lame lame throwing the money at the problem that most normal people do. a less wasteful plan involves using one of my old routers as a bridge (which i use all the time in order to netboot new pcs and instal an os). i got 2 such routers flashed with ddwrt to enable this functionality. but no! whats the fun in using a ready made solution? a google search lead me to a github page hosting an esp8266 wifi repeater custom firmware for everyone's favorite $6 iot widget. after about four hours of hunting pinouts and running jumper wires and swearing at the flash utility, and then setting it up to connect to my network i managed to get the quarter-sized wifi repeater to work. i just need to stick it in the window and problem solved right? not so fast! because the speed test revealed this thing to cap out at about 420 kilobits a second. 

Drill through wall, place external antenna on porch?

7 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Drill through wall, place external antenna on porch?

The mystic hole in Soyuz is finally explained.

They tried to attach an external antenna to catch the internet, as the hull was made of aluminium.

Wait... Oh, ...

@Nuke, I hope you aren't texting from ISS?

Edited by kerbiloid

48 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

They tried to attach an external antenna to catch the internet, as the hull was made of aluminium.

Wait... Oh, ...

Well, he did say it was a rental....

11 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Wait... Oh, ...

im banned after the incident with the tequila. 

2 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Can't you place the antenna on the inside of the window? Wavelength of wifi (assuming 2,4GHz) is 12,5 cm, meaning a window sized window should be more than big enough hole for waves to get through.

i figure i can stuck my old linksys up there, but that only tops out at 54megabit.

i wonder what an esp32 can do, its got a much beefier mcu. but i only have one of those and its in use in another project. i think its got a dual core 240mhz processor (i think its risc-v based), so it might move data faster, but not much faster. 

keep in mind with how much it rains around here, this project is completely impractical. and i can just steal wifi from the library thats kitty corner from my place anyway. they used cedar siding. 

Edited by Nuke

Playing through the career/story mode of Meeple Station and it turns out (spoilers) the titular Meeples aren't from the planet they're living on now, but instead come from another planet that was destroyed by a massive impact. Some of the residents of said planet escaped the cataclysm by turning themselves into space squids. The little squid are children, the bigger squid are adults and the really old squid end up huge.

Giant. Space. Squids. :0.0:

On 9/6/2021 at 4:35 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

I found some steak buried in the deep freezer that was starting to get a little freezer-burnt, so I decided to try making beef jerky in the air fryer. It was like OHMYGAW!

I love finding buried freezer treasure or stuff that's been pushed back in the cabinet that others in the house forgot about. :)

6 hours ago, cubinator said:

I held a wasp today.

Nature is always neat like that - when you're able to do something you usually cannot do and you don't get the normal outcome. It was probably a surreal experience! :confused:

It wasn't today, but it did happen yesterday and it's close enough. I had a former student tell me they really enjoyed my world civilization course so much that it changed the rest of their college career. No, he did not become a history major. But instead, he took my advice offered the first day of the course - even if it is a course you hate, find a handful of topics the course covers that you even remotely enjoy and focus on them. Learn the rest of the information provided to support the stuff you like. He said that was probably the best life advice anyone gave him.

Makes me think that maybe I am making a difference in the world - one person at a time.