What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Today… well, yesterday, I discovered how sharp router bits are. Exactly how sharp router bits are. Fresh, brand new router bits still in the fancy little box that extolled everything about them except the dang shank size so just pop one out and take a peek…

er… cleanup in aisle seven… :wacko:

8 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Today… well, yesterday, I discovered how sharp router bits are. Exactly how sharp router bits are. Fresh, brand new router bits still in the fancy little box that extolled everything about them except the dang shank size so just pop one out and take a peek…

er… cleanup in aisle seven… :wacko:

Seeing as I’m thinking I need to add a router to my tool collection, I’ll keep that in mind….

Well, the test is still pending, but Friday I started getting cold like symptoms.  Cough, runny nose, sneezing, fatigue.    After working all night Thursday/Friday, I slept through my scheduled Friday test, and had to reschedule for Saturday.   Slept some more.    With the help of cold meds, I was able to fight off the worst symptoms.    

Talked to my Boss, and we agreed that since I work in a isolated part of the building, and there's plenty of space to keep distant when I do have to interact with others, until my test results come back, I'll keep working.  Cause ya know, we're way behind due to the labor refusal to work. 

At work... I had a blueberry muffin, which tasted great, had my morning pop (not a coffee guy), and off I went.    Hopped up on cold meds and scarfing down cough drops.   Few hours in, I get a bad lozenge.    And another.    And a third.    I realize I can no longer taste the lemony menthol goodness.   Nor the less good cherry ones.    My next muffin only tastes..... fluffy.     No flavor... just fluff.     really made me ponder existence... is fluff a flavor?  

I yell over at a coworker that I suddenly can't taste anything.   He throws a Sour Apple Jolly rancher at me.   The type that turns your face inside out for the first few moments you suck on it.     Nothing.   I can tell it's supposed to be sweet, I think, but that's it.    

Soooo...we decided to call it a night cause this clearly isn't just a cold.    I grab the bottle of bleach and start spraying things down.    But it's not wiping the way Clorox should.   It feels wrong between the fingers.      I sniff the bottle.    Nada.     I yell for my coworker to come over and tell me whats the in the stupidly unlabeled industrial spray bottle.    Oh yay, it's mineral spirits.   Oh... that explains why the outside of my nose is starting to tingle... wait... no, it burns now.   Must have brushed some on my nose accidentally, Yay!

So I find The bleach and spray everything down, fire off a text to the boss, and head home.    I have been now sampling all the food I can to see what it doesn't taste like.    I'm sitting here having an mild existential crisis contemplating the meaning of 'food'.    Should write down my findings and call it research.  

And yes I'm fine.   I'm going to finally get to quarantine, see what all you guys have been going on about for so long.   Aside from the taste loss, it's no worse than a bad cold for me so far.  And being an ex paramedic, when I have to crawl to the door, then I might consider getting medical attention.   I'm A) too stubborn to do otherwise and b) not willing to add to an already overloaded system.  

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Seeing as I’m thinking I need to add a router to my tool collection, I’ll keep that in mind….

I Have the Hitachi 2.5 hp one.   I think they're called Metabo now.   Recently picked up a cordless Ryobi (I have a huge slew of their tools, and don't knock the brand, They went toe to toe in the pro woodshop I worked in for a couple years with zero issues).  Now I'm on the lookout for one for my Father.    I want to find one that has the abilities of the bigguns, but he really doesn't need that much power.   The Mikita 1.5 hp 'palm' plunge router is my leading candidate so far.    I just need to figure out if I can mount it to a router table, with our without modifications. 

7 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Well, the test is still pending, but Friday I started getting cold like symptoms.  Cough, runny nose, sneezing, fatigue.    After working all night Thursday/Friday, I slept through my scheduled Friday test, and had to reschedule for Saturday.   Slept some more.    With the help of cold meds, I was able to fight off the worst symptoms.    

Talked to my Boss, and we agreed that since I work in a isolated part of the building, and there's plenty of space to keep distant when I do have to interact with others, until my test results come back, I'll keep working.  Cause ya know, we're way behind due to the labor refusal to work. 

At work... I had a blueberry muffin, which tasted great, had my morning pop (not a coffee guy), and off I went.    Hopped up on cold meds and scarfing down cough drops.   Few hours in, I get a bad lozenge.    And another.    And a third.    I realize I can no longer taste the lemony menthol goodness.   Nor the less good cherry ones.    My next muffin only tastes..... fluffy.     No flavor... just fluff.     really made me ponder existence... is fluff a flavor?  

I yell over at a coworker that I suddenly can't taste anything.   He throws a Sour Apple Jolly rancher at me.   The type that turns your face inside out for the first few moments you suck on it.     Nothing.   I can tell it's supposed to be sweet, I think, but that's it.    

Soooo...we decided to call it a night cause this clearly isn't just a cold.    I grab the bottle of bleach and start spraying things down.    But it's not wiping the way Clorox should.   It feels wrong between the fingers.      I sniff the bottle.    Nada.     I yell for my coworker to come over and tell me whats the in the stupidly unlabeled industrial spray bottle.    Oh yay, it's mineral spirits.   Oh... that explains why the outside of my nose is starting to tingle... wait... no, it burns now.   Must have brushed some on my nose accidentally, Yay!

So I find The bleach and spray everything down, fire off a text to the boss, and head home.    I have been now sampling all the food I can to see what it doesn't taste like.    I'm sitting here having an mild existential crisis contemplating the meaning of 'food'.    Should write down my findings and call it research.  

And yes I'm fine.   I'm going to finally get to quarantine, see what all you guys have been going on about for so long.   Aside from the taste loss, it's no worse than a bad cold for me so far.  And being an ex paramedic, when I have to crawl to the door, then I might consider getting medical attention.   I'm A) too stubborn to do otherwise and b) not willing to add to an already overloaded system.  

Hoping for the best!

29 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I Have the Hitachi 2.5 hp one.   I think they're called Metabo now.   Recently picked up a cordless Ryobi (I have a huge slew of their tools, and don't knock the brand, They went toe to toe in the pro woodshop I worked in for a couple years with zero issues).  Now I'm on the lookout for one for my Father.    I want to find one that has the abilities of the bigguns, but he really doesn't need that much power.   The Mikita 1.5 hp 'palm' plunge router is my leading candidate so far.    I just need to figure out if I can mount it to a router table, with our without modifications. 

I think that could be a good opportunity to eat some stuff that you can brag about!

Like say, a ghost pepper! 

:P

43 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I have been now sampling all the food I can to see what it doesn't taste like. 

Pay attention for the sulfur and vinegar contining food tastes and smells.

Will the sulfur compounds (eggs, meat, onion, garlic) be smelling like disgusting sweet, and marinades like burnt powder.

On 9/13/2021 at 1:57 PM, Gargamel said:

Hey man, we all hope you feel better soon and get your taste back :) hang in there!

Well, in the vein of possible COVID, today I received an email from my school, telling me that they had contact-traced, and that I had been in close proximity with a confirmed COVID diagnosis. 

I've had the vaccine, and at the moment I feel fine, but I've yet to get tested. Here's hoping I didn't catch anything.

2 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Well, in the vein of possible COVID, today I received an email from my school, telling me that they had contact-traced, and that I had been in close proximity with a confirmed COVID diagnosis. 

I've had the vaccine, and at the moment I feel fine, but I've yet to get tested. Here's hoping I didn't catch anything.

100% of people will get infected by SARS-CoV2. Probably more than once in their lives. Except any that die first of something else.

The fact that you said "school," and I assume you are not an 80 year old teacher means you are at more risk each year from travel to and from school (by  factor of 2-4) than you are from C19 in your lifetime (since it's only really meaningfully dangerous the first exposure, and only then to elderly/morbidly obese/desperately ill people). I actually found a risk calculator today run by Oxford University. My risk (I'm in my mid 50s) is pretty much exactly equal to my annual risk of death in a car. Everyone younger than me (and not desperately ill, or obese)? They are at less risk than they are from being in or near cars (sidewalks count)—substantially lower as you drop by decade in age. 10X lower in your 20s or younger.

My interesting thing? Just got home from a party. Friend's mom turned 80, so she threw a party at a close restaurant. She and her husband have a band, so they played. Not huge, maybe 20-30 people. Plus the rest of the restaurant customers that were invited to use the dance floor (and did).

Everyone involved was 0% concerned about the unconcerning current bug. Old people were vaccinated, a decent % of the guests were certainly vaccinated as well (many are docs), and here in NM 66% of the population has been infected in the last year, even if 80-something  % of them had no idea they were (since a small fraction get more than a cold or nothing at all).

Edited by tater

13 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Hang in there bud, we're hoping for the best!

Last night I managed to see Inspiration4 AND a shooting star, at the same time!

Had our first power outage of the season yesterday, and it’s not even technically fall yet. :wacko: Odd storm, my weather station showed consistent gusts 20+mph, usually even a really bad storm has a lot more peaks and valleys. And terrible timing, all the leaves are still on the trees and they’re still dry and brittle from summer, whole south end of the island went dark. 

But, thanks to Starlink, for once it was only a literal black hole instead of an information one. :D I was able to keep monitoring things remotely, not worry so much, and finally, finally, everything just workedbanana-dancing-happy-banana.gif

Today was the annual blood sacrifice to the ancient Armenian deity of suffering and mortification, Rubus armeniacus.*

However, the sacrifice of human flesh was found wanting, and the harvest was poor.

3LXWbJt.jpg

Fortunately, still had the previous harvests from the last couple years in the deep freeze. And a few dozen pounds of strawberries:

jsrb1HB.jpg?1

Many hours of blood, sweat, and tears later: three & a half gallons of berry jam and a gallon of cider in the fermenter. 

12ipmDi.jpg?1

My. Kitchen. Is. So. STICKY!!! There's schmutz on the counters, schmutz on the appliances, schmutz on the ceiling--

How the flarping flapjacks did we get schmutz on the ceiling?!?

The dishwasher has plotzed and the trash is overflowing, but our Christmas "shopping" is done.  :cool:

*Anyone who's ever picked, traipsed through, cleared, or even looked at blackberries knows exactly what I mean. Oh, and there were wasps too... 

8 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Fortunately, still had the previous harvests from the last couple years in the deep freeze.

Gaze inside my freezer, and despair!

It's plums wall to wall.