What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

It seems that during my Wednesday expedition, the wind was so cold that I got a headache, so I took a day off. Today I got to the newfangled Museum of Cryptography, formerly the Marfino sharashka.

Let's start far off. That sharashka - once it got Solzhenitsyn and the rest of its mostly-convict team to develop a serviceable secure telephone system for the Soviet leadership - became NII-2, which today is Avtomatika, one of the many parts of the sprawling RosTech holding. In order to commercialize its military/intelligence IT capabilities, Avtomatika and a network snooper manufacturer called Citadel have budded off a new enterprise that owned the Marfino site and built the museum as a sideshow for its HQ. The company that runs the museum is called... Kryptonite.

It would appear the Russian para-defense industry is preparing for every eventuality.

Spoiler

scale_600

Doomsday Clock Issue #8 apparently, if anyone's interested

Achievement unlocked: TechnoRedneck :D

kPQxoMf.jpg

Haveta schlep the tractor 50 miles to the dealer for some work next weekend, figured I’d get it loaded up and take a quick test drive for coffee. Could maybe scooch it a little farther back but it rides rock solid. Some guy nearly drifted right into us gawking. :confused:

I just learned something awesome or rather confirmed it. A while back (week or so) I saw a video on youtube that was showing pictures of mildly interesting things. One picture was of a gas pump with a video screen that shows your sale but also plays random videos while you fuel. I always found those videos annoying myself. In the picture someone with a sharpie pointed out 1 magic button that MUTES those videos. I saw thought it was interesting. Just now when I went to get gas and my pump started those videos I pressed that button. IT ACTUALLY WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What button? If the pumps you gas up at are like this and have 8 black buttons (4 on each side of the screen) the 2nd from the top on the right will mute the speaker as those videos play!

spread the love on this one and silence those irritating videos as you fuel!

2 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

I just learned something awesome or rather confirmed it. A while back (week or so) I saw a video on youtube that was showing pictures of mildly interesting things. One picture was of a gas pump with a video screen that shows your sale but also plays random videos while you fuel. I always found those videos annoying myself. In the picture someone with a sharpie pointed out 1 magic button that MUTES those videos. I saw thought it was interesting. Just now when I went to get gas and my pump started those videos I pressed that button. IT ACTUALLY WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What button? If the pumps you gas up at are like this and have 8 black buttons (4 on each side of the screen) the 2nd from the top on the right will mute the speaker as those videos play!

spread the love on this one and silence those irritating videos as you fuel!

Coworker: "...so here I was having to Snip every slide from the screenshare, paste it into Paint, and the save it manually."

Me: "Why didn't you just PrtScr it?"

Coworker: "Same difference - still have to paste it into Paint or Word and save it."

Me: "Win+PrtScr saves directly into a folder in Images."

Coworker: "...

og_og_1456420688297386668.jpg

1 hour ago, DDE said:

Me: "Win+PrtScr saves directly into a folder in Images."

Coworker: "...

Me: (tries...) Oops... None.

Though, I have unexpectedly found the random shots from the USB camera when I was testing the QR recognition. So, anyway thanks.

Today we have a school sport day, when everybody sang a cheer at the start (in a complete violation of all covid rules, though barely anyone but me seems to follow them), I was sitting with my hands over my ears. (I have sensitive ears, and general senses to be honest.) After that I scrammed and hid in the bathroom, I had to duct tape the door closed, none of the locks work. After I left because they started cleaning the bathroom, I just walked around, finished some homework, and now I’m just sitting around.

Today is a demonstration of the first law of school, any attempt to make school fun will result in exactly the opposite. (The second law is: a student’s appreciation of a teacher is inversely proportional to the amount of homework given by said teacher.)

I also met someone who is thinking of getting ksp, I gave him some tips (sas), told him about the fact that it is hard but rewarding, and recommended he get ckan and install scatterer and eve, I think it would make it much more awesome to land on say, the mun, for the first time with visuals like that.

8 hours ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

Today we have a school sport day, when everybody sang a cheer at the start (in a complete violation of all covid rules, though barely anyone but me seems to follow them), I was sitting with my hands over my ears. (I have sensitive ears, and general senses to be honest.) After that I scrammed and hid in the bathroom, I had to duct tape the door closed, none of the locks work. After I left because they started cleaning the bathroom, I just walked around, finished some homework, and now I’m just sitting around.

When I was a senior my school decided to have a school Olympics day. (Too their credit, it was the first and only time they did it.) It was also the first and only time in my school days that I actually cut school. Me and two of my friends (One of whom was a valedictorian, the other of whom was salutatorian. What can I say? I was a bad influence.) snuck out to the parking lot, got in my van, and took off. I honestly don't remember what we did in the morning, it obviously was of no importance. We went to lunch at Tommy's, because Kim's brother was working there at the time and he gave us free food. And then He-Jin wanted to go visit a friend at the local public high school, so we went there and just hung out in the back of her classes for the rest of the day and talked. (So, yes, the one day I ever cut school I wound up...at another school.)

8 hours ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

(The second law is: a student’s appreciation of a teacher is inversely proportional to the amount of homework given by said teacher.)

I don't think that's necessarily true. When I think of the teachers I appreciated most I think of the ones that were smart and that challenged me. Some of them gave me lots of homework, some of them didn't. TBH, I appreciated most of the teachers I had in school, there were only a few that I look back on and groan. I'll be honest, there were some personality conflicts there. I wasn't the easiest guy to get along with. I'm still not the easiest guy to get along with. But for the most part the teachers I disliked were the ones I didn't learn anything from, not the ones who gave me a ton of work.

Made the actual 56-mile tractor schlep to the dealer today. 46% driving efficiency yaaaay. :confused: But 4200+ lbs and solid as a rock the whole way. Offered to give a random Smart Car a lift too after we caught him staring in horror at a traffic light. :D

Also, finally/had to do this:

cyU48Qu.jpg

Kinda shocked, this charger is usually packed on a Friday afternoon. Rumor has it Elon himself reads these forums, so moar trailer-friendly chargers, plz. :lol:

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

On Tuesday, I had a student sneeze on me while on campus. Instead of covering her face or turning away, she pulled down her mask and sneezed in my direction. :huh:

Even though I had my mask on, I still had her sneezittle on my eyeglasses and face. :mad:

As soon as I could, I used my stash of Purex hand cleaner and cleaned my hands and face with it (that stuff actually burns facial skin). :blush:

Alas, it was too late. I've been sick since then. No, not COVID-19 or any other variant. But whatever it was, it was bad enough I took a personal day off on Thursday. No fever, just a lot of mucus and achy joints. :0.0:

Today is the first day I have remotely felt "human" since Wednesday. :P

2 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

On Tuesday, I had a student sneeze on me while on campus. Instead of covering her face or turning away, she pulled down her mask and sneezed in my direction. :huh:

Even though I had my mask on, I still had her sneezittle on my eyeglasses and face. :mad:

As soon as I could, I used my stash of Purex hand cleaner and cleaned my hands and face with it (that stuff actually burns facial skin). :blush:

Alas, it was too late. I've been sick since then. No, not COVID-19 or any other variant. But whatever it was, it was bad enough I took a personal day off on Thursday. No fever, just a lot of mucus and achy joints. :0.0:

Today is the first day I have remotely felt "human" since Wednesday. :P

Well that's just @^%$*^%$@&&  rude. I try to turn away from everyone, pull up my shirt and cough/sneeze into my shoulder/shirt.

I hope you called her on it. If it was deliberate it could be considered assault.

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Well that's just @^%$*^%$@&&  rude. I try to turn away from everyone, pull up my shirt and cough/sneeze into my shoulder/shirt.

When I sneeze, I always point my face into the crook of my elbow - even if I have a mask on. But then again, I am 51 and have common sense.

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I hope you called her on it. If it was deliberate it could be considered assault.

Most of today's young people aren't that aware of their actions. I'm not saying it as an insult or a put-down. And I am sure at one point in my life, someone probably said the same about me. She just didn't think about it and did what was natural. When we sneeze, our natural instinct is to get stuff away from our face. And that's what she did. At some point in her life, someone should have taught her to cover her mouth and nose - but they didn't.

I do not believe it was deliberate. And I also do not believe in publicly shaming people either. There were two other students waiting to talk with me when the sneeze happened - and I do what I do best. I made a joke out of it. I took the Purex bottle, squirted some in my hands, rubbed them together, and proceeded to decontaminate my exposed parts of my face as best as I could. Sure, she felt embarrassed, but everyone got a good laugh out of it.

4 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Well, as long as she learned from it, fair enough

As long as she does not get Covid... she'll kill someone perhaps if she does not begin to show more consideration for others around her.

I presume the same student does not work on a job... because that kind of behavior WILL get called out nowadays on the job.

Edited by Spacescifi

On 1/19/2022 at 7:40 AM, Hyperspace Industries said:

The second law is: a student’s appreciation of a teacher is inversely proportional to the amount of homework given by said teacher

My chemistry teacher gave out plenty of homework. He also burnt a hole through the curtains with a jelly baby, dented the ceiling with a hydrogen bottle rocket, dropped a big lump of sodium into a water bath and then chased after it with a wooden splint to try and set it on fire as it fizzed around the tank, and on his last day at the school set off a thermite reaction outside (I still have the little lump of iron that resulted, though weirdly it’s not remotely magnetic :/)

37 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

My chemistry teacher gave out plenty of homework. He also burnt a hole through the curtains with a jelly baby, dented the ceiling with a hydrogen bottle rocket, dropped a big lump of sodium into a water bath and then chased after it with a wooden splint to try and set it on fire as it fizzed around the tank, and on his last day at the school set off a thermite reaction outside (I still have the little lump of iron that resulted, though weirdly it’s not remotely magnetic

https://wiki.lspace.org/Alchemists'_Guild

Alchemists' Guild

Jump to navigationJump to search
Alch01.png

Motto: OMNIS QVIS CORVSCAT EST OR.

All that glitters is gold.

Likely the loudest among the guilds in Ankh-Morpork, but not politically powerful. The Alchemists' Guild is known more for its failures than its successes. That is to say, more people (in fact, everybody in the city) are aware of the explosions produced by the guild's members rather than the actual products and services they render. The guild building is blown up a few times a month, and is therefore under a perpetual state of repair. Supposedly, an alchemist's goal is to turn things into gold; it is strange, then, because it should be hard to make metals explode. In reality, the alchemists also mess with all sorts of chemical reactions. Their development of the Octo-cellulose film led to the moving pictures industry, and the guild president was, for quite a while, leader of the industry (in Moving Pictures). Another notable project was to transmute things into artificial ivory, so that billiard balls could be made without going to the trouble of getting the tusks off the elephants (appears in Men at Arms). Alchemists dabble in everything they can get their hands on.

The Alchemists' Guild would make a very bad neighbor. Yet, the Gamblers' Guild likes their location right across the street. The reason probably has to do with the Lady and the opportunity for a stable bet.

Many Alchemists, or maybe apprentices in the guild, are likely to be former members rather than current members, because they tend to die of explosions or from drinking whatever chemicals they had mixed together. In a queer way, it is fortunate that Alchemists usually don't spend enough time in social company, or don't even live long enough, to marry and have children, otherwise, the widows and orphans fund would be in permanent deficit.

A notable former member who is still alive is Cheery Littlebottom, now head of forensics in the Ankh-Morpork City Watch (joined in Feet of Clay). Cheery was expelled from the guild through the roof while blowing up a much larger than usual part of the guild council hall. From what Cheery remembers, it is said that there are two signs of a good Alchemist: the athletic who can get behind an upturned bench very quickly, and the intellectual who knows exactly when this needs to be done.

Public Service Announcement: if you intend to cheat during a video call by having a guy behind the laptop desperately Googling for answers and shoving a smartphone into your face, please make sure there isn't a mirrored surface (such as a kitchen oven) behind your back.

It's rather unfortunate that I got outvoted when I flunked his online test for suspected copy-pasting of copious amounts of text.

On 1/23/2022 at 5:20 AM, adsii1970 said:

When I sneeze, I always point my face into the crook of my elbow - even if I have a mask on. But then again, I am 51 and have common sense.

I knew I had good reason to like you :)  Good age and wisdom.

For me it is my bicep that I aim for. There is usually a sleave covering it, which lessens the chance of any getting away.