What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

3 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

I had an argument this morning with my friend over whether the speed of light was the actual speed limit of the universe. His argument: Nothing is impossible

Just edit the universe config to set a custom value.

Or use cheat codes.

14 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

I had an argument this morning with my friend over whether the speed of light was the actual speed limit of the universe. His argument: Nothing is impossible

Definitely requires the infinite fuel cheat...

As I understand the math, mass becomes infinite at the speed of light. But the math also says "imaginary" particles could travel faster. It's crossing the lightspeed barrier that blows up the math...

My cousin, 6 years older than me, to the day, and 20, not 21 as I previously incorrectly stated, came over yesterday and stayed with us so as to not have to ping-pong between towns or get a hotel.

Today I jogged/ran with her for 3km, going 1 km, then resting back to full operation while she made another 1km lap, then joining up again.

After that we climbed to the top of the hill on the other side of the block, took photos, and came down. I slipped and while stabilizing myself, whacked my arm into a thornbush-thingy, fortunately the holes it made were tiny mosquito-bite class holes, didn't even need to patch them.

Oh, yeah, I'm still taller than her by the way. 

I also declared plumbing pipes to be big-boy lego blocks. :sticktongue:

I dont know if I ever explicitly said it, but I am a HUGE aviation nerd/geek. I am a licensed model aircraft pilot, while I am not a licensed pilot for the real thing I did have the opportunity to get real time as Pilot in Command of a Cessna with about 45 minutes as PIC. I have also logged likely 10,000+ hours flying various versions of MSFS as well as DCS and a few other combat flight sims. I also have various scale models from Wooster and Skymarks not to mention model kits I have built. 

I also watch various plane spotting live streams. In the last 24 hours once by accident and once now deliberately have double ticked an AVGeek bucket list item!! I watch 1 stream on Youtube called Happy Landings Las Vegas which I think is automated. On this stream I watch a pair of flights by KLM. When it lands it is KLM 635 and when it departs its KLM 636. It is a Boeing 787-9. Amsterdam Schiphol to Harry Reid Int in Las Vegas is KLM 635 and returning from Vegas as I said is 636.

Ok, heres what Im going on about. Quite by accident I tripped over a new streamer (about 6 months or so doing this iirc from his stream 24 hours ago) called Airlinespotter072. He was streaming from none other than Amsterdam Schiphol!!!! I checked a flight tracker site and his stream was going as KLM 635 was prepping to depart. I watched his stream as the flight got ready to go. Then I saw a 787 from KLM being towed by a tug as it was starting up. A few departures side tracked the host and the 787 vanished. A minute later a departure caused the host to pan across an intersecting runway. And what was lined up? A 787! Another departure caught the hosts attention and by time he panned back the 787 was gone. I immediately checked online and it said: Enroute and arriving in over 9 hours. Distance flown 2 MILES!!!! I saw KLM635 lined up and awaiting take off clearance!!!!!! So yesterday afternoon around the time it was slated to land in Vegas I went to the HLLV stream and watched 635 land in Vegas!!

Now to ticking that bucket list item intentionally. I watched HLLV to see KLM 636 take off. At some point in the initial stream I tripped over ftom AMS the host said hed be live again today from about 1030am Central Euro Time. 636 was slated to land at AMS at 1130am CET.  Sure enough as the appointed time arrived our host was set up in the perfect spot! He panned to the South West and as if by magic a Boeing 787-9 was on final. It was none other than KLM 636!!!!!!!! 

As soon as I saw it I started hooting and hollering like a sports fan. It only got louder when the registration number came into view!!! As soon as I saw it (copied it from another flight tracking site, I did say I am an aviation geek yes?) I knew beyond any doubt that that was in fact KLM636/635 and promptly lost my mind cheering like a lunatic!

There are not enough words to properly describe the levels of joy and happiness I felt. I just wanted to be able to share this crown jewel moment in my plane spotting hobby.

• 3 weeks later...

Earlier today (It is 1:21 AM right now so technically it happened yesterday, and yes, I'm about to go to sleep) when I was helping my dad bring groceries and stuff inside, two C-130s flew extremely low over my house; It seemed like they almost clipped the tops of the trees surrounding my house! Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures because I wasn't exactly prepared.

Also, not very interesting, but I switched over my Euro Truck Simulator 2  from a laptop to a desktop (A Dell Latitude - I don't remember the exact model, but it's a somewhat older one -  to a Dell Optiplex 7010 we had) and the game definitely runs a little bit faster, but the point is that I can make it even better (I'm going to add RAM and get a different GPU) so it will finally run smoothly! I also have a lot of mods, so that doesn't help :/

TIL that the origin of the phrase "It would be funny if it weren't so sad" is Mikhail Lermontov.

That makes scary amounts of sense given what I know of Officially Approved Russian Poet №2.

Spoiler

Unfortunately all translations have to make it a lot more flowery to fit into verse

If you are here, I want to hear,
You’re absent — I’ve a lot to say;
But, mute, you look at me severe,
And I am silent on my way.

What can I do? I haven’t a blessing
To please you with my simple tongue…
All this could sometimes be great fun,
If were not so much distressing…

Edited by DDE

27 minutes ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

Yesterday, I learned I had COVID. :(

I'm just going back to work today after falling to the most recent Covid-19 batch last Thursday. I don't recommend it to anyone. If you're eligible, jump on the drugs they offer like you're starving and they're food.

On 7/9/2022 at 3:34 AM, AlamoVampire said:

I watch 1 stream on Youtube called Happy Landings Las Vegas which I think is automated. On this stream I watch a pair of flights by KLM. When it lands it is KLM 635 and when it departs its KLM 636. It is a Boeing 787-9. Amsterdam Schiphol to Harry Reid Int in Las Vegas is KLM 635 and returning from Vegas as I said is 636.

I’m pretty sure I was on the 787-9 flight from Amsterdam, what day did you watch the stream on?

(I was returning home from France to Vegas through Amsterdam)

Edited by Zozaf Kerman

19 hours ago, Zozaf Kerman said:

I’m pretty sure I was on the 787-9 flight from Amsterdam, what day did you watch the stream on?

(I was returning home from France to Vegas through Amsterdam)

Was july 8th when I watched KLM636 depart las vegas and it was about 9-10 hours later about an hour before i posted about it when i watched KLM636 land at Schiphol on the 9th of July, 20 days ago as of this reply.  If you were on that flight how was it?

I was on the July 20th flight, misread the time of your message. The food on that flight was surprising delicious, and the accommodations were also rather nice even though I was only flying economy class. I would probably fly on KLM again, if the opportunity comes up.

1 hour ago, AlamoVampire said:

Was july 8th when I watched KLM636 depart las vegas and it was about 9-10 hours later about an hour before i posted about it when i watched KLM636 land at Schiphol on the 9th of July, 20 days ago as of this reply.  If you were on that flight how was it?

EDIT: Saw that you were watching the Vegas to Schiphol flights, I was coming back from Schiphol to Vegas instead.

Edited by Zozaf Kerman

Off the end of my driveway, down into the arroyo between houses I have a leaf/pine needle pile. I started throwing veggie debris in there as well. Ginger knobs, dried out lemons/limes/etc, the guts from the Halloween pumpkins, then the dried out jack-o-lanterns themselves, etc. I turn it now and then to get it to compost. Added some dirt and other stuff trying to make it less dry/flammable for fire season, and figured maybe I should soak the pile maybe once a week. Then we got monsoon, and it has stayed sorta damp (for New Mexico, anyway, not dust, at least).

A plant popped up with big leaves, the plant about a meter across. Now it's bigger than a car, and spreading up and down the hill, with huge, 5 pointed yellow-orange flowers all over it, under the large leaves with prickly undersides... I think I am growing pumpkins now.

Edited by tater

2 hours ago, tater said:

Off the end of my driveway, down into the arroyo between houses I have a leaf/pine needle pile. I started throwing veggie debris in there as well. Ginger knobs, dried out lemons/limes/etc, the guys from the Halloween pumpkins, then the dried out jack-o-lanterns themselves, etc. I turn it now and then to get it to compost. Added some dirt and other stuff trying to make it less dry/flammable for fire season, and figured maybe I should soak the pile maybe once a week. Then we got monsoon, and it has stayed sorta damp (for New Mexico, anyway, not dust, at least).

A plant popped up with big leaves, the plant about a meter across. Now it's bigger than a car, and spreading up and down the hill, with huge, 5 pointed yellow-orange flowers all over it, under the large leaves with prickly undersides... I think I am growing pumpkins now.

Pics or it didn’t happen. :D

3 hours ago, tater said:

Off the end of my driveway, down into the arroyo between houses I have a leaf/pine needle pile. I started throwing veggie debris in there as well. Ginger knobs, dried out lemons/limes/etc, the guys from the Halloween pumpkins, then the dried out jack-o-lanterns themselves, etc. I turn it now and then to get it to compost. Added some dirt and other stuff trying to make it less dry/flammable for fire season, and figured maybe I should soak the pile maybe once a week. Then we got monsoon, and it has stayed sorta damp (for New Mexico, anyway, not dust, at least).

Does it look like this?

wTWKQWT.jpg