What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

4 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

No Kraft PB there? That's tops around here, along with homemade...

At Fry's here in AZ they used to have a PB maker in the store. You grabbed an empty plastic tub, placed it under the spout, and it ground fresh peanuts into PB right in front of you. That was the best PB ever. You had to bring it home and mix salt into it yourself, because it was nothing but ground peanuts. Unfortunately they removed it a couple of years ago. So disappointed.

6 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

At Fry's here in AZ they used to have a PB maker in the store. You grabbed an empty plastic tub, placed it under the spout, and it ground fresh peanuts into PB right in front of you. That was the best PB ever. You had to bring it home and mix salt into it yourself, because it was nothing but ground peanuts. Unfortunately they removed it a couple of years ago. So disappointed.

We have those, and they have honey roasted peanuts in one of them. That is so good it never gets put on anything. You can tell when it's in the house, there are no spoons in the drawer (no double dipping in this house!).

7 minutes ago, tater said:

We have those, and they have honey roasted peanuts in one of them. That is so good it never gets put on anything. You can tell when it's in the house, there are no spoons in the drawer (no double dipping in this house!).

<Starts looking at properties in New Mexico>

46 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

You can find these at your local Snooty grocery store, the kind of places that also sell absurdly overpriced certified organic non-GMO personally handed to you by the unwashed hands of an agéd hippie produce. Like Whole Foods. 

The better ones, like Tater said, offer a variety of grindables for butters. I suggest the fresh-squeezed almond butter, tastes great but it’ll suck all the moisture right out of your mouth like a maw-full of alum. 

2 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

You can find these at your local Snooty grocery store, the kind of places that also sell absurdly overpriced certified organic non-GMO personally handed to you by the unwashed hands of an agéd hippie produce. Like Whole Foods.

You lost me there...

The Reaping... [ominous chanting] ...Has Begun.

m60cG9E.jpg

Only got a small hand basketful of onions this year, because...

APvm2E8.jpg

Potatoes. 

SO. MANY. POTATOES.

I cleared out about two feet of an 8-foot planter this morning and scored over 11 pounds (5kg) of potatoes... just on a whim. I have two more 8' planters overflowing with the things. Poor onions just got crowded out. Now, to jot down every way to possibly cook a potato...

Started with the basics.

y247KFn.jpg

Oh, and eggs. As always, just a really, truly, farcical, absolutely silly amount of eggs.

ASm34O0.jpg

31 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

You lost me there...

That's ok, the old hippie's been lost in the produce section for years, he doesn't even work there. :D

6 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

Let me translate.

"Whole Foods has peanut butter machines."

You mean, "Whole Paycheck"?

:D

We actually had a Whole Foods here for a very brief time. They bought the local natural foods store in town, and then decided that they couldn't make a go of it, so they closed down.

Not a fan. ;)

8 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Almost every single store near me has them. Albertson's, and Smith's, for example.

7 hours ago, TheSaint said:

We actually had a Whole Foods here for a very brief time. They bought the local natural foods store in town, and then decided that they couldn't make a go of it, so they closed down.

Not a fan.

I go there for a few things that are otherwise hard to find, but it's not about the hippy dippy stuff for me, it's about higher quality stuff. They have better cheeses, a decent bakery and a few oddball things we can't generally find. We get veggies elsewhere.

3 hours ago, Nuke said:

called deer and moose

With these beasts one can never be sure.

https://naturetravels.wordpress.com/2007/10/29/whats-the-difference-between-a-moose-and-an-elk/

It sounds like Imperial vs Metric, but moose.

Thanks, they aren't poisonous like similar mushrooms.

Edited by kerbiloid

6 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

With these beasts one can never be sure.

https://naturetravels.wordpress.com/2007/10/29/whats-the-difference-between-a-moose-and-an-elk/

It sounds like Imperial vs Metric, but moose.

Thanks, they aren't poisonous like similar mushrooms.

the only difference ive seen is that one is like an order of magnitude larger than the other. technically they are both in the deer family. 

an even weirder situation comes when comparing caribou to reindeer, which as far as i know are two names for the same species. but they live further north and i dont like that much cold.

bear is also an option but im told the meat is terrible, especially later in the year when they start eating dead fish and garbage. 

moose love frozen hash browns, dont ask how i know. 

Edited by Nuke

As you guys know Im an avid flight simmer, but right now I have a whole new respect for the real pilots! Im currently doing a flight in a STUDY LEVEL 737-700 (study level meaning its as real as possible) and learning whole new systems like the FMC is eye opening! Im using the PMDG 737-700 in their Southwest (one of the many options) Airlines aircraft tail number N268WN which is a real bird flying for Southwest!

We drove to the sea and are staying at the house of a (absurdly rich) pair of friends of my parents for the long weekends, today, while my parents were looking at the whales in the bay, after I made lunch on the braai (South African barbecue), I started watching the ships.

Skip here for if you want the interesting bit :wink::

I watched slightly, but later I got the binoculars, and the fun began. I watched and tried to see as much as I could about the ships, later I got to the internet and found this:

Ship 1: the MSC Aido, going between Port Elizabeth and Cape Town, and passing by us on the way, container ship, giant one. One of MSC's 570 strong fleet.

Ship 2: the Hellas Aphrodite (boy, that's one cool name), also departing from PE and coming here to, according to my dad's guesses on what she (yes, I know she's a ship, but she's too cool to be referred to as a mere object) is and has been doing, bringing diesel for 'backup' generators. She's a tanker, much smaller, built in 2016, flying under the flag of Malta, and she's a beauty. Got a picture through the binoculars, unfortunately I can't send pictures to imgur on my phone, should probably send it in a while.

We're going back home in a few days, no ships there, though we do live under the landing course for the airport (and definitely the yearly air-racecource).

On 8/5/2022 at 11:06 AM, Nuke said:

round these parts we got these things called woods, and they are full of these meatbags called deer and moose. i suppose that is as close to whole foods as i go. 

Yeah, around here hunting is big too, my dad's colleagues from the engineering company went out to the grasslands a while back and came back with meat for everyone in the office. We got a juicy square meter of meat, everything from Koedoe to Springbok to Wildebees (buffalo) in there. Salami, sausage, biltong, droëwors, steak, maalvleis (mincemeat), ribs and everything.

Still probably have some left in the freezer.

Uh oh, now I'm hungry.

We have rocks and bushes (some locals call them trees, but I'm from New England, and they're mostly bushes here)—but a neighbor was cutting through my yard and she told me that another neighbor next door, and up the arroyo, had seen a mountain lion in our section of the arroyo near the end of the driveway (near trash pumpkin!). Cool, but makes me wonder about the dog crashed out on the deck on cool nights, lol. Or her sometimes "random" barking outside.

Edited by tater

It’s finally starting to heat up! :D 

Sure it’s only about 24*C now, but it means spring is coming! (Southern hemisphere)

Hopefully this means we’ll be getting into the 30’s relatively soon, then we can stop wearing winter clothes. Maybe even swim in our pool! (No, we aren’t rich, land and labour is (and especially was) cheap) Though I should probably wait until the 35-40 range. :sticktongue:

If you’re wondering about the high temperatures, welcome to Africa!

1 hour ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

It’s finally starting to heat up! :D 

Sure it’s only about 24*C now, but it means spring is coming! (Southern hemisphere)

Mid august in the southern hemisphere would be similar to mid february in the northern.

And I'm happy if the temp creeps over 0 C at that time of year ;)