What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Just looking up some plane CAWS and GPWS sounds on some planes (That's what most of the other YouTube tabs I have open are, just for different planes), and this ad came up.

Screenshot492.pngScreenshot494.png

I actually already made a website with Wix. (My crane list, although I haven't worked on it in a while), and what is somewhat interesting is that I haven't changed my YouTube account language to German and haven't watched any videos in German recently.

Been flying alot the last few days on MSFS2020, namely one or two sectors per day, and thursday morning (yesterday as i type this) i did a sector from las angeles to seattle. I fly with real world weather turned on, and ho boy howdy was it a wild ride over Klamath Falls in Oregon!! I was at FL390 and started getting kicked around to the tune of 400 to 700 feet per minute of up and down turbulence. At on point I hit a pocket of turbulence so violent it dropped my altitude by 1200 feet down!! I can only imagine how rough real passengers had it on the west coast yesterday. OH btw, if you have an iphone and an ipad and a bluetooth wireless keyboard for the ipad, did you know it will work with your iphone? I didnt know that, and now i do! This entire post fwiw was written on my iphone via a bluetooth keyboard. I know, its 0322 and Im nutty, but, im at FL390 again and enroute to St Louis. Im kinda bored as Im at cruise and my ai copilot has the radios, so ya :D

Edited by AlamoVampire

22 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Summer is overrated. I’d be overjoyed to see 24° Right about now…

Fahrenheit:sob:

Me last autumn when I'd gone from +30⁰C to a subzero snowstorm in less then 10 km... of which 1 km vertically.

My current annual mountain outing hasn't been as exciting.

So, im at FL380 doing a sector. Im having a glitch where I can hear ATC but not my own voice (Azure text to speech) nor my FO (as long as I can hear ATC im ok, but seriously considering vatsim to just be done with these glitches), but anyway, im at FL380 happily chugging along checking my FCS for my cruise economy (how well im doing based on fuel burn, speeds and eta’s to check points) when suddenly my TCAS screams: TRAFFIC TRAFFIC TRAFFIC! DESCEND DESCEND DESCEND! Well I look up and at my 10’ 1000 feet above me is the stock representation of an A330 barreling at me. Was funny and unnerving. 

23 hours ago, DDE said:

Me last autumn when I'd gone from +30⁰C to a subzero snowstorm in less then 10 km... of which 1 km vertically.

My current annual mountain outing hasn't been as exciting.

Update: excitement has gone up, got angry at treebranches, got too excited for my own good, tumbled off the pass, got a scraped knee and a hole in my pants.

Still belongs in this thread.

Acted as a pack animal to bring my daughter's stuff up to her dorm room, helped her loft the bed, drag furniture around, etc.

Plot twist: she's literally living in my old dorm room from the 80s. Not same style, the same actual room, lol.

It's now slightly smaller, as the corners have mechanical ducts floor to ceiling, but on the plus side they contain air conditioning, which I'm pretty sure we did not have. Windows are also bigger/nicer, and the floor actually has carpet (not a thing back in the day).

Man I really like pruning. Fun fact when the housing market collapsed in 2008 unemployment in the architecture field (my profession) hit 55%. After a few blessed years with my degree designing memorials and concept architecture I had to pour concrete, frame houses, drywall, set tile, finish paint and carpentry and install landscaping. I set cobblestone, planted tulip trees, pruned Tom Brady’s yews, rhodies, boxwoods, and tended their herb garden for 2 years. Its incredibly satisfying, standing back and shaping and learning just where to make cuts and punch holes to let the light in to deeper layers, knowing how happy the plant will be in 2 and 3 years time. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

To sort out a plan for building stuff (I am much better at designing than building, but I refuse on moral grounds to just give orders, I can, and will, when needed, get help from others, but it has to be help, not labour), I started, but did not finish drawing a tech tree. Though the essentials are there. :D

So lets set the scene. MSFS2020, flying the PMDG 737-700 as Delta N308DE doing a cross country flight from Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International (KATL) to Las Angeles (KLAX). Ive filed for FL400 but thanks to the 27000 pounds of fuel im only at FL380 (40,000 feet and 38,000 feet respectively). I was at FL390 but a 60 knot headwind caused me to drop to FL380. So, to descend (this was over Arkansas around Pine Bluff (which as of typing was ONE HOUR AGO) I deployed spoilers to 50% and set my MCP to 38000. I only just noticed at 100nm from Childress Texas that my speed was not right. I was at .71 mach with my MCP set for .79. You caught it right? Yup, if you said my spoilers were still waving at the wind at 50% deployment you are correct. For an hour I flew with them out. 
Yup I face palmed at that. Ive retracted them am cruising along at FL380 doing .790-.791 mach. My GS(ground speed) is 453 knots while TAT(total airspeed) is 457. Ive got a 7 knot cross wind (223/7) (223 dregrees at 7knots) acting on me as about 4 knots headwind. 

So, I quit my job today. It's kind of a long story.

Starting about the middle of last year I was having increasing difficulty getting things done at work. I was forgetting stuff, tasks were slipping by me. About the same time I started to get more tasks piled on me because of circumstances beyond my control. So work really started to become even more unfun than it had been in the past. I talked to my doctor about it during a visit for unrelated things, and she thought I might be suffering from long COVID, since I had had COVID back in late 2020. As she put it, "You get brain fog, which impacts your productivity at work, which causes stress. Chronic stress impacts your memory and decision-making ability, which impacts your productivity at work, which leads to more stress. You just snowballed."

So, I sat down in the spring and talked with my boss, and really I was ready to quit then. My wife had started working full time and we were ready for me to just drop out and find something that would sprain my brain less. But my boss was all, "Whoa whoa whoa! Let's step back and look at our options." He suggested that I take medical leave. Apparently if your doctor will sign off on a diagnosis of long COVID (which mine did) you can take FMLA. And since I had over 450 hours of sick time on the books (I never call in sick) the college would give me full pay and benefits for the max time of 12 weeks. So I said, "Sure, let's try that." So I took 12 weeks off this summer. Worked on the house. Went on vacation. Just relaxed. It was great.

But that's not why I quit. As I said, my wife started working full time as a home health therapist before we started this whole misadventure, so we could have a Plan B in case I needed to quit. Well, about a month after I went on leave the office manager gives her a call and tells her that the rehab manager in their office, the manager who is in charge of all of the physical therapists, is leaving, and he thinks she should interview for the position. She interviews, and after a long series of negotiations, she gets offered the position. Which is great, it pays half-again more than either of us are making, she loves the work, and it's the ground floor position on the management track for this company, there are all sorts of advancement opportunities for her here. But, it's a full-time, in-office position. When she was working as a PT, her hours were really flexible, she could decide when she was going to see patients and work those times around when she needed to drive the kids to class or take my mother the to doctor or whatever. She can't do any of that anymore. So we sat down and talked it over, and decided that will all be me now. I am officially becoming Mr. Mom, the house husband.

So, I've been back at work for less than a week after my leave ended, and I just went in today and put in my two-weeks notice. Explained the whole thing to my boss, he gets it. It's not like I ever really loved this job, so I can't say I'm sorry to see it go. Once I have the domestic engineering down I'll probably look for something part time, just to keep myself out of trouble.