What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Was at kfc about an hour ago and was instructed to wait near the door (was in drive thru) while they handled my order and several ahead of me. As im sitting there waiting the absolute tiniest preying mantis landed on my windshield. This lil guy was less than an inch in length. If my guess is right its under a week in age. Was too cute!

oo new page!

Edited by AlamoVampire

1 hour ago, AlamoVampire said:

Was at kfc about an hour ago and was instructed to wait near the door (was in drive thru) while they handled my order and several ahead of me. As im sitting there waiting the absolute tiniest preying mantis landed on my windshield. This lil guy was less than an inch in length. If my guess is right its under a week in age. Was too cute!

oo new page!

Mantises are good luck.

Friend: I really don't understand why my gf is so happy to put a facial mask. You see, the skin acts as some kind of excretory organ, why expect that place to absorb anything. And that thing not cheap at all!

Me: Don't look at things so absolutely. You see I really love to buy her this s*t. Because I can reap at least two hours of peace when I give it to her, and 30 to 45 minutes of quiet time every day later on.

Edited by steve9728

I just had a very interesting computer troubleshooting experience.

Went to turn on my main rig this morning.  Acted normal for a couple seconds, then nothing on the screen except what looked like a cursor (but wasn't) in the upper left.  Diag lights on mobo lit up VGA.  Initial though was "oh no, did my < 1 year old GPU die?"  Two more reboots and no change.  So I start poking.

Things that didn't work:
Different GPU
The other x16 PCIe slot (with both cards)
BIOS clear
Swapping in my Ryzen 7 2700 from another computer
Removing all but one stick of RAM
Putting the remaining stick of RAM into another slot
Removing CMOS battery
Reseating power cables

At this point I unplugged every single thing from the board that wasn't required to boot... and I got to the BIOS.
So I start adding things back in, first with my boot drive, booted.
Then I plugged the USB cables back into the back of the machine... no boot.
It was at this point I had a stupid thought that turned out to be the problem.
Yesterday I had wanted to pull a video from my dashcam (saw a fox running in the road), so I had hooked up my USB SD card reader.  This was still hooked up.  While the machine was still at its cursor-not-a-cursor state with the VGA light on, I unplugged the card reader (which did not have a card in it).

Screen blinked off, then back on and the BIOS splash screen came up, and continued to boot.

:mad:

It's wasn't even set to boot from USB.  It just wouldn't even POST.

So now it's all back together and I have thermal paste schmu on a couple textured black parts inside the case that won't get clean.  
About 2 hours of me freaking out I was going to need a new motherboard (and initially a new CPU  [Although I can get a 5800X3D right now for less than I paid for my 5800X...]) and thermal paste goopies in the case when all I needed to do was unplug an apparently wonky USB device.

The five-day official holidays of Labour Day begin. I had planned to wander around the city such as the coast and mangroves with my gf. But when I headed across town to a dental clinic for a follow-up appointment today, I found it packed with people everywhere and traffic jams are basically everywhere.

We both have our annual leave anyway, so we won't be crammed in with everyone else at the scenic spot these five days.

Forty years ago (minus three weeks; close enough) my mom pulled me out of school so we could see the release of Return of the Jedi without facing the worst of the movie-going hordes in downtown Vancouver.  At this moment I am taking my 19 and 16yos  to see that same movie in the theatre for their first time.

Being a limited re-release, we had to drive 45 minutes to where it is showing, but it’s worth it. It should be starting in a few minutes :cool:

E: Enjoyed it,  but it was the Haydenized edition :P

Edited by StrandedonEarth

@VanamondeMore commonly known as the Special DVD Edition I believe.

At the end of RotJ, the “Force ghosts” of Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Anakin appeared. The original had the original Vader actor (in the faceplate off scenes, his name escapes me) as the Anakin ghost. The Special Edition (added scenes, some upgraded f/x) had Hayden Christensen, the prequel Anakin, as the ghost

Edited by StrandedonEarth
memory refreshed

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

@VanamondeMore commonly known as the Special Edition IIRC.

At the end of RotJ, the “Force ghosts” of Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Anakin appeared. The original had the original Vader actor (in the faceplate off scenes, his name escapes me) as the Anakin ghost. The Special Edition (added scenes, some upgraded f/x) had Hayden Christensen, the prequel Anakin, as the ghost

Harmy's Despecialized Edition FTW.

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

@VanamondeMore commonly known as the Special Edition IIRC.

Clarification: Hayden was added in the DVD release in 2004, "to establish continuity with the prequel trilogy." I knew it wasn't the SE because that was before the PT; SE was a testbed of the CGI work as a precursor to the PT. Thanks to @TheSaint's link for refreshing my memory. 

I dread when someone gets the bright idea of replacing Alec Guinness with Ewan McGregor. No offense to Ewan, but that would be sacrilege and an insult to Sir Alec.

Er right. Back to funny/interesting. Um, didja know rubber can be de-vulcanized? Yeah, okay, probably only of interest to a retread like me, but here ya go...

Spoiler

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I dread when someone gets the bright idea of replacing Alec Guinness with Ewan McGregor. No offense to Ewan, but that would be sacrilege and an insult to Sir Alec.

Um. What?

original.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=1ef77d4c0473

So I am doing a flight from my home city to Chicago Midway. At first I have full AI ATC, then almost immediately my AI first officer goes silent. Ok no big deal. I hear ATC say do this or do that, call this atc or that. Then after a while it goes quiet. I am as I type 98nm from TOD or top of descent. I am 15nm from a waypoint over St. Louis Missouri. My last KNOWN atc call? In my home state some 600NM ago!!! So ya guys if you fly MSFS2020 get real comfy using vatsim because the AI azure system is beyond unreliable. I just flew past Lambert St Louis International… still nothing… I should be hearing Chicago Center… ok now this is odd i just turned VHF1/2 receivers on off and now i SEE atc but cannot hear it. I hear my plane (737-700) just fine… 45nm to tod. Will update when i land.

UPDATE: 

Well, I landed and hoo boy it was an adventure! I could only read the atc which was irritating. At 81nm before touchdown all i could hear was the ATIS on 132.750. I had never flown KMDW and knowing it was a short field did not prepare me. I set my auto brakes to 1. Not enough!! I landed 4R and did so flaps 30 and 132kts. Good grief that was a HOT landing!! All to quick the center line lights went red and I practically stood on full (was already full but had to extend how long) thrust reversers and brakes beyond my normal autos and thrust reverse and still barely slowed enough to exit. Like landing on a carrier w/out the arresting wires!

Edited by AlamoVampire