What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

8 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

turned on the heater. I thought the engine was on all the way, but I guess I didn't quite get there. 

This seems likely if you were sufficiently zombiefied... but seriously, bruh, you Ok? I’m not one to put much stock in interwebz health screens, but insomnia gets real serious real fast. 

1 minute ago, razark said:

So, you're telling me that the most evil villain of my childhood, the scourge of the galaxy, the destroyer of worlds, right-hand man to the Emperor, destroyer of the Jedi did it because...

he was angsty over his girlfriend?

:rolleyes:

Isn’t spurned love the root cause of most villains, one way or another?

10 minutes ago, razark said:

So, you're telling me that the most evil villain of my childhood, the scourge of the galaxy, the destroyer of worlds, right-hand man to the Emperor, destroyer of the Jedi did it because...

:rolleyes:

Not that at all. If you recall, it was his love for his girlfriend and his desire to attain the "unnatural" power to control life itself - forbidden by the Jedi - which led to his destructive power. Much more dramatic that way. And explains why, even though he killed her, he blames the Jedi... :D It makes it even darker and even more twisted.

15 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

This seems likely if you were sufficiently zombiefied... but seriously, bruh, you Ok? I’m not one to put much stock in interwebz health screens, but insomnia gets real serious real fast. 

I should be okay- I've done a lot more work on a lot less sleep (I once had to go to school at 6:00 and I only got to sleep at like 3:45), but it's still concerning. I've got workouts today so hopefully I'll be tired out enough to actually go to sleep tonight. 

1 hour ago, DarkOwl57 said:

1 am: Still can't sleep. Have resorted to going for the "Tire self out on Youtube" method

2 am: Still can't sleep.

2:30: Okay now I can sleep

6:20 am: Alarm goes off. Turn into a generic zombie and try to wake up via groans.

7:15 am: Trudge downstairs and eat some breakfast

7:20 am: Turn car on to heat it up

7:30 am: After checking my snapchat, I head out to put my stuff in my car. Remove keys to lock house door, walk out to the car, put keys in the ignition, turn, and..... nothin. Try again. Nothing. Try a third time and the car makes this weird buzzing noise as all the lights on the dash weakly flicker before sputtering to its demise. I dun killed the battery. 

And only five minutes later, driving the car, you understand that you have left your chainsaw and machete at home.

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

...how did you plan to heat the car up if it wasn't running?

Petrol. Matches.

25 minutes ago, razark said:

Because he was an omega trying to look like alpha.

Extraterrestrial slavery is a cruel thing.

If greedy Rob Roy Qui-Gon Jinn paid a ransom for Anakin's mom, the galactic history could go another way.
Just for a few dollars more.

Edited by kerbiloid

5 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

I should be okay- I've done a lot more work on a lot less sleep (I once had to go to school at 6:00 and I only got to sleep at like 3:45), but it's still concerning. I've got workouts today so hopefully I'll be tired out enough to actually go to sleep tonight. 

It’s a worthy thing to be concerned over, sleep deprivation has a way of eating away at you over time until one day you (pardon the phrase) wake up with a bonafide sleep disorder. And if you think there’s even the slightest chance of an underlying mental factor, it would be wise to see a doctor about it. There’s no need in this modern world to just “suffer through it.” :/

13 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

It’s a worthy thing to be concerned over, sleep deprivation has a way of eating away at you over time until one day you (pardon the phrase) wake up with a bonafide sleep disorder. And if you think there’s even the slightest chance of an underlying mental factor, it would be wise to see a doctor about it. There’s no need in this modern world to just “suffer through it.” :/

I know that it's a problem, (And this is gonna sound really stupid) but I don't know where I can fit in any doctors visits. My school does its best to punish you for missing school days thanks to our college-like block schedule, where missing just one day is the equivalent of missing two or more. Even if it was just for a class period or two, missing time for something like a mental problem is typically frowned upon. It's a stupid situation that's making a scary situation scarier. 

Jeez, guys, spoilers much? (Someone did say they had never seen them.)

I'm still a firm believer in Machete Order. I watched all of the original trilogy and the prequels in the theaters (obviously in theatrical release order), and I agree completely with Rod Hilton: Machete Order makes II and III worth watching. Especially if you have no prior exposure to Star Wars. It ties them in and makes them a part of the story. Empire becomes even more of a cliffhanger, and the prequels become a flashback sequence: we see Anakin's story unfold instead of just relying on hearsay from Obi-Wan and Yoda. Instead of theatrical release order, in which the prequels are just sort of an appendix. "Oh, by the way, in case you were interested, here's how things went down in the old days."

And the proof I have is from watching the films with my kids. They went in cold, no spoilers, no idea what was going on. And the whole experience blew them away.

Edited by TheSaint

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

Even better than that... IV and V. III maybe... But the rest, meh

I feel like you would want to see what happened in VI after watching V.

I think the prequels are optional for the story of the original trilogy. Honestly, if you watch just one movie make it IV. It is a near-perfect telling of the hero's journey story, and none of the other movies can improve that with backstory or greater context. 

I also think the sequels are pretty good movies as well, and I think you could watch them without watching the prequels.

4 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

feel like you would want to see what happened in VI after watching V.

Nope. First, there are so many problems with the story and so many problems with Star Wars lore.

In Episode IV and V, we see light sabers can cut through steel piping, yet on a skiff in the desert, they only knock people off? Some of the Gamorian guards hit by Luke should have been cut in half with the way he was swinging... and that's only a preview of why I HATE episode VI.

6 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I also think the sequels are pretty good movies as well, and I think you could watch them without watching the prequels.

No, they were horrible for a bunch of reasons... Especially the last movie, VIII.

45 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

I know that it's a problem, (And this is gonna sound really stupid) but I don't know where I can fit in any doctors visits. My school does its best to punish you for missing school days thanks to our college-like block schedule, where missing just one day is the equivalent of missing two or more. Even if it was just for a class period or two, missing time for something like a mental problem is typically frowned upon. It's a stupid situation that's making a scary situation scarier. 

Dude, that’s pretty messed up. :( But perhaps I could stress that such things are far easier dealt with while you’re young, before one gets old and set in their ways like me. ;) There’s also the power of the bureaucracy to be leveraged, if a doctor’s note causes trouble. 

13 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Episode IV and V, we see light sabers can cut through steel piping, yet on a skiff in the desert, they only knock people off? Some of the Gamorian guards hit by Luke should have been cut in half with the way he was swinging... and that's only a preview of why I HATE episode VI.

I think that’s more a limitation of the available SFX tech at the time. That would be non-trivial (and potentially harmful to a PG rating) to show a living thing getting cut in half by a laser sword. 

3 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I think that’s more a limitation of the available SFX tech at the time. That would be non-trivial (and potentially harmful to a PG rating) to show a living thing getting cut in half by a laser sword.

They did it in Episode III without a problem. And in Episode V, Luke and Vader's light saber battle actually cut through steel pipes, and crap Vader "Force-chucked" at Luke. I simply don't buy the SFX argument. Besides, there have been more violent movies which have had a PG-13 rating.

Then there's the problems with how they treat the empire itself. The death of the Emperor would not have caused an immediate collapse (if any) of the Galactic Empire. The Emperor was very careful to create a heirarchy - the Grand Moff (Tarkin, killed in Episode IV, but would have been replaced) and then the Moffs (Imperial military governors)... each one of them had an order of succession...

6 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

They did it in Episode III without a problem. And in Episode V, Luke and Vader's light saber battle actually cut through steel pipes, and crap Vader "Force-chucked" at Luke. I simply don't buy the SFX argument. Besides, there have been more violent movies which have had a PG-13 rating.

Cutting a “person” in half without CGI (and making it look good) is a far cry from pipes and chucked crap on wires. ;) Perhaps they wanted to, but didn’t think they could pull it off believably

Damn this mobile editor!

Also: 

ct9bfq9elqc01.gif

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

10 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Cutting a “person” in half without CGI (and making it look good) is a far cry from pipes and chucked crap on wires. ;) Perhaps they wanted to, but didn’t think they could pull it off believably

In an old edition of Star Log magazine, they were threatened with a "R" rating and toned it down. So why use a light saber at that point? Could have Luke use one of the Gamorian guards' staff, a broom stick, or hell, even a "Force-throw" but don't turn a light saber into a giant Nerf wand. And even with the half-baked CGI and special effects of the 1990s, they could have made it look passable - even with the use of special camera techniques and models. They've done it on a lot of movies before Episode VI was shot. How many times did we see humans ripped apart in Alien?

With Empire Strikes Back being such a dark movie, Episode VI didn't do the Jedi credit (and Luke was acting more as a dark Jedi in that movie, anyway).

ct9bfq9elqc01.gif

Yes, and which is why he would have used clones, as the 1990s Dark Horse comic book series said he did. His consciousness was absorbed by the Sith and he then went and inhabited the body of a clone. And it was that same series where Luke, sensing the Emperor was still alive, decided to turn to the Sith to flush him out - at least in the official-and-now-unoffical canon.

As a side note, Episode VII, VIII, and soon to be IX were not Lucas canon. They were Disney canon designed to allow for endless movies. They sacrificed the Luke story line to introduce new characters and to reach a younger audience. And instead of using the original emperor, they used a weak and underdeveloped antagonist - and now Episode IX is left without a major evil antagonist... and no apparent end to the Star Wars series. This is why I expect Disney to do Episode X, XI, and XII. Oh, yeah, and Episode LC.

Edited by adsii1970

2 hours ago, TheSaint said:

(But I highly recommend Rogue One.)

+1
The megaexplosions are unbelievably gorgeous.

40 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

and that's only a preview of why I HATE episode VI.

If watching it keep in mind that

• a tribe of cannibal plushy teddy-bears with spears, squealing and jumping around, are obviously a hallucination caused by a shockwave concussion or by some herbal tea;
  • all repeatitions and coincidences with IV are the same (they just had built one Death Star and this was a shock, and just several years later they have almost built another one? pfff...)

then there is just a battle in a forest and a carnival. Without bears. Just a pack of loaded heroes dancing and jumping in a dark forest and talking to imaginary creatures and phantom. (See: role-playing.)

@adsii1970 I think you’re really reaching and looking for things not to like, bruh. :kiss: Tho I don’t disagree on anything post RTJ. :P

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

Everyone: Funny, Interesting things!

@Nivee~:

CanOfWorms.jpg

@Nivee~ Us nerds gonna nerd, and we have a habit of picking things apart even when we like them. These movies are worth seeing, if only for their cultural significance so you get all the memes/references. ;) But apart from that they are simply good stories, and are worth being heard, too. 

10 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I think you’re really reaching and looking for things not to like, bruh. :kiss: Tho I don’t disagree on anything post RTJ. :P

Nope. Always felt that way since the day I watched the movie. Return of the Jedi had so much potential squandered... It was rushed, if anything. And you really think the Empire would construct a second Death Star without more weaponry to address smaller single-piloted craft? Again, this is only one of many problems with Episode VI. Besides the damn Ewoks...

17 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Us nerds gonna nerd, and we have a habit of picking things apart even when we like them.

Its OK! I have a couple nerd friends so I know what its abt!

Also, I think I found a weird Star Wars gif while google searching, but it feels odd.... like it does not belong...

Spoiler

Ufcbig5.gif

Light sabers are supposed to cut through metal, right? Why is the bush alright?

6 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Nope. Always felt that way since the day I watched the movie. Return of the Jedi had so much potential squandered... It was rushed, if anything. And you really think the Empire would construct a second Death Star without more weaponry to address smaller single-piloted craft? Again, this is only one of many problems with Episode VI. Besides the damn Ewoks...

I don't disagree with any of your criticisms regarding RotJ. However, I don't believe any of them is a reason to not watch the movie. Even the damn Ewoks. :)

49 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I don't disagree with any of your criticisms regarding RotJ. However, I don't believe any of them is a reason to not watch the movie. Even the damn Ewoks. :)

I do watch it when my daughter demands we finish the ST universe... And I do keep my gripings and grumblings to myself... I just follow it up with Space Balls when she goes to bed. And everything is right in the world again...

Edited by adsii1970