What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Every time when I had read an article about a fuse of some (hand grenade or flak gun shell), i .e. a fuse of something used in amount of millions, I get shocked with the amount of all those springs, wheels, cords, and the their total complexity, and I'm less and less understanding why should one care about the spacecrafts reusability.

By spending a truck of hand grenades they spend more mechanisms uselessly than a spacecraft could ever dream.

Spent half an hour buried up to my ribcage in the left wheel well of a Beechcraft King Air, S/N LJ-35 (I.E. 35th King AIr ever built) safety wiring the turnbuckles for the aileron control cables... and I have to go back and do it all over, because it wound up being not exactly the neatest job. But, it was ina terribly awkward spot, all the way at the back of the nacelle, behind the aux tank feed line from the outer wing and the trim tab cables, so... Eh. Good practice, I suppose.

I'll bring pics for y'all tomorrow.

Had to skim through quite a bit of articles on hacking to draw up a small dataset. Had ran across some useless but amusing ones.

• Sysadmin gets drunk and goes on to try to deface kremlin.ru, gets instant V-E Day amnesty
  • Seventeen-year-old kid gets cocky and... tries to deface kremlin.ru, from his own home wi-fi, no less
  • Guy gets convicted for messing with the navigation software of a freight airline; no difficulty finding him, he’s already in jail on the charge of getting his ex-wife to pick up a booby-trapped explosive package
  • North Koreans are so rich, they try to smuggle $200k in cash from Vladivostok in shoeboxes... twice
  • A search for SWIFT the interbank wire system ended up with me on Kaspersky’s blog, staring at an image of Taylor Swift with 2.3 Mb of Chinese botnet malware encoded into it
  • The apex of it all, the antimalware program from North Korea! (may include free malware - unlike Ammazon Security Suite, which IS malware; Kaspersky’s retelling is more accessible)
Edited by DDE

On 1/23/2019 at 12:17 AM, MaverickSawyer said:

Spent half an hour buried up to my ribcage in the left wheel well of a Beechcraft King Air, S/N LJ-35 (I.E. 35th King AIr ever built) safety wiring the turnbuckles for the aileron control cables... and I have to go back and do it all over, because it wound up being not exactly the neatest job. But, it was ina terribly awkward spot, all the way at the back of the nacelle, behind the aux tank feed line from the outer wing and the trim tab cables, so... Eh. Good practice, I suppose.

I'll bring pics for y'all tomorrow.

Soooo... Little later than I'd planned, but hey, better late than never:

kDZg1Nz.jpg

EDIT: Much better!

Edited by MaverickSawyer

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Hope that works.

"You need permission

Want in? Ask for access, or switch to an account with permission."

Unless you want a handful of people requesting access, you might want to update that.

Edited by razark

10 minutes ago, razark said:

"You need permission

Want in? Ask for access, or switch to an account with permission."

Unless you want a handful of people requesting access, you might want to update that.

Thanks... Lemme fix that.

Aaaand done. :D 

Edited by MaverickSawyer

23 hours ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

So it turns out percussive maintenance is the way to go sometimes.

iPad had a problem where it wouldn't turn back on after turning off in any shape or form. Knock it on the front whilest holding the power button and it starts right up. 

Silly Apple...

Hooo, boy, does it ever work...

My parents have a 1997 Honda Odyssey minivan. About a year ago, it starts surging at idle. Basically, it'd throttle up over the course of a second or so to ~2000 rpm, then cut abruptly back to idle. I did some research and found out that it was the idle air control valve, which helps with throttle control at low speeds, and it was getting stuck on 20 years of who knows what. The solution that was recommended?

Take a hammer and a long-shank blade-tip screwdriver. Place the screwdriver tip on the casing of the IACV, and tap it a few times with the hammer. Repeat in two other spots. End of maintenance. To the astonishment of both my dad and I, it worked. The surging vanished, and has returned only once since, which was promptly resolved with a quick smack to the casing.

So yeah, sometimes percussive maintenance is actually the proper approach.:sticktongue:

3 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

So yeah, sometimes percussive maintenance is actually the proper approach.:sticktongue:

Well, in all fairness, the proper approach would really be removing and cleaning out/replacing the gunked up valve, but depending on how accessible that is, percussive maintenance may indeed be the practical approach. :D

...if it’s stupid but it works...

45 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Well, in all fairness, the proper approach would really be removing and cleaning out/replacing the gunked up valve, but depending on how accessible that is, percussive maintenance may indeed be the practical approach. :D

...if it’s stupid but it works...

It would have required the dismantling of the majority of the intake system to remove the IACV, and if the valve had totally failed, then yes, we would have gone to that level of dismantling. But, if you can fix a problem with no cost and almost no effort, that is totally worth the "non-standard" repair.

4 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Hooo, boy, does it ever work...

My parents have a 1997 Honda Odyssey minivan. About a year ago, it starts surging at idle. Basically, it'd throttle up over the course of a second or so to ~2000 rpm, then cut abruptly back to idle. I did some research and found out that it was the idle air control valve, which helps with throttle control at low speeds, and it was getting stuck on 20 years of who knows what. The solution that was recommended?

Take a hammer and a long-shank blade-tip screwdriver. Place the screwdriver tip on the casing of the IACV, and tap it a few times with the hammer. Repeat in two other spots. End of maintenance. To the astonishment of both my dad and I, it worked. The surging vanished, and has returned only once since, which was promptly resolved with a quick smack to the casing.

You see, I can't do stuff like this. Too many years in the Nuclear Navy. I would have to take it apart and clean it. It would drive me out of my mind. In fact, what I would probably do is say, "I need to take this apart and clean it. It's 22 years old, so it's probably going to fail soon any way. So if I'm going to take it apart just to clean it, I might as well replace it. Let me go through the disassembly procedure and see if there are any other parts subject to wear that are removed that I can replace at the same time...." It drives my wife out of her mind. But, on the other hand, we have two cars with over 200,000 miles that run like new....

3 hours ago, LordFerret said:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

At the opposite end, in the Navy most of the work we did was "preventative maintenance". Which we referred to as, "Taking something apart to try to figure out why it's still working properly."

15 hours ago, TheSaint said:

At the opposite end, in the Navy most of the work we did was "preventative maintenance". Which we referred to as, "Taking something apart to try to figure out why it's still working properly."

Having served, I can relate.  Also, "If it doesn't move, paint it.  It it does move, salute it."