What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Being stuck in Albuquerque, I only saw a partial (been there, done that, many times). I might have barely bothered, but it was my son's day before school (meet the teacher), and they had stuff set up. I have brought my filtered binos, and once presented with kids (and adults) and an astronomical subject, I found myself explaining things to them, which made the psychic pain of not being 10 hours north a little more bearable.

wrong side of the planet for me. but I saw a bunch of photos of folks of all ages and walks of life standing together and using pinhole cameras and dark lenses to look at the eclipse. and even a really cool shot of some pavers under a tree with hundreds of projected images of it (natures pinhole camera: leaves). but hey, I can't complain, we got skylab, so...

and then there was a photo of a certain head of state just squinting up at the sun getting a great view of bare faced retinal damage...

sometimes, for a laugh, I go on roblox and spam this in the chat:

SpaceX Tesla SpaceX Elon Musk Tesla SpaceX Tesla SpaceX The Boring Company SpaceX Tesla SpaceX Tesla Elon Musk Tesla Model 3 Falcon 9 SpaceX Neuralink OpenAI

its impressive some people don't know what CTRL-V is and how it works

Edited by StupidAndy

1 minute ago, DarkOwl57 said:

I just got fitted for an ankle brace... So go me I guess :/

Go... you...! Actually, I feel your pain. A few months ago I was fitted for a new knee brace. Yeah, I know how fun that can be. My sympathies to you.

I was informed yesterday by a student that I was expecting too much from them. Her complaint was that I demand they use standard English in their homework assignments. Yeah, silly me!

34 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Go... you...! Actually, I feel your pain. A few months ago I was fitted for a new knee brace. Yeah, I know how fun that can be. My sympathies to you.

I was informed yesterday by a student that I was expecting too much from them. Her complaint was that I demand they use standard English in their homework assignments. Yeah, silly me!

It isn't a bad issue with my ankle; I accidentally (Or.. yeah accidentally) rolled it during practice, and that kicked off a whole world of issues. So a couple days ago, my entire leg just lit up after practice- like it really hurt to even sit, much less walk/run around on it. So I tell mom, who (Against my wishes) starts emailing the coaches. So next thing I know, I'm told to come early so I can get a brace fitted. Goodie me :/

However, after trying it on, it felt sooooooooo good on that foot. Maybe I did need it..

9 minutes ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

:o You mean PROPER GRAMMER??? The horridness!

8 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

I am curious, what did she want to utter instead ?

Ok, it would be easier to just answer you both in one post - and I hope you do not mind! :)

I gave an introductory writing assignment so I could learn each students' writing issues. No two people, even if they came from the same high school and are the same age ever writes the same. Writing is as individual as a fingerprint... Well, anyway, in her submitted work, she used a lot of texting slang, such as b/c, h8, lol, yadda-yadda, and a few others in a paragraph-long writing assignment. I counted each one as a "mild error" and classified it as improper wording/misspelled word - or a 1 point deduction of the total 15 points available (critical errors are 3 points each).

She was complaining that my grading was unfair and that she really didn't need me to correct her. She even tried to tell me that under the First Amendment (of the Constitution of the United States), she has the right to self-expression. I explained to her that while she did have the right to express herself, she would have to express herself using traditional English rules... And the whole class died laughing at her!

19 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

I am curious, what did she want to utter instead ?

*Report example*

"So ol' George was like "Yo France I need money," And France sai-" *Begins busting out laughing* I'm sorry- I can't do this. I really can't do anything involving intentionally messing up on an assignment.. It's against my DNA! 

5 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

*Report example*

"So ol' George was like "Yo France I need money," And France sai-" *Begins busting out laughing* I'm sorry- I can't do this. I really can't do anything involving intentionally messing up on an assignment.. It's against my DNA! 

That's because you take education seriously. There are many here that simply do not. I'm approaching my 16th year of teaching at the college level (where in Hades did all that time go! :confused: ) and can tell you that there are a lot of folks today that simply are there to go through the motions and get their degree. They don't want to be academically challenged and they definitely do not want to learn anything new. They see college as being grades 13 through 17, then somehow they become real adults.

3 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

That's because you take education seriously. There are many here that simply do not. I'm approaching my 16th year of teaching at the college level (where in Hades did all that time go! :confused: ) and can tell you that there are a lot of folks today that simply are there to go through the motions and get their degree. They don't want to be academically challenged and they definitely do not want to learn anything new. They see college as being grades 13 through 17, then somehow they become real adults.

*Slow, sarcastic clap*

39 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

*Report example*

I feared something like that ...

Hehe @adsii1970, i too couldn't avoid to grin :-)

13 minutes ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

I'll follow with @DarkOwl57... :D 

Pres. Kenny got up on that big ol podium and he says We wanna go todamoon b/c it would be mighty fine!

21 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

I feared something like that ...

Hehe @adsii1970, i too couldn't avoid to grin :-)

It's funny here... sorta! :blush: But when you are talking about a formal academic assignment, then it's no longer fun and games. :huh:

At least 5 dogs chased the car I was in on my vacation in Malaysia.

2 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Agreed.

50 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I SURVIVED THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!

now you have to survive the second, third, fourth, all the way to 180th!

what fun it will be for you :Pyou do have 180 days of school right?

Edited by StupidAndy