What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

43 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Must be an interesting neighborhood.

Man, my life is boring...

Yeah sure it is, weird stuff happends sometimes here every once in a while.

Your life is not boring, my life is exiting.

Changing out the suspension on my wife's SUV this weekend. Strut assemblies and sway bar links on the front; shocks, coil springs and sway bar links on the rear. I finished the front today, and got the rear up on the jack stands and removed the old sway bar links (that's the rough part). Should be able to finish up the rest of it tomorrow post haste.

16 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Changing out the suspension on my wife's SUV this weekend. Strut assemblies and sway bar links on the front; shocks, coil springs and sway bar links on the rear. I finished the front today, and got the rear up on the jack stands and removed the old sway bar links (that's the rough part). Should be able to finish up the rest of it tomorrow post haste.

Yep. Been there, done that. Are you swapping out springs on the front struts or are you swapping in new strut/spring assemblies?

20 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Yep. Been there, done that. Are you swapping out springs on the front struts or are you swapping in new strut/spring assemblies?

I just bought whole new assemblies with springs already installed. Much easier that way, don't have to mess around with spring compressors. The springs were all pretty tired anyway, they have over 170,000 miles on them.

19 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I just bought whole new assemblies with springs already installed. Much easier that way, don't have to mess around with spring compressors. The springs were all pretty tired anyway, they have over 170,000 miles on them.

Definitely safer that way. I've done spring swaps on my 318i and that is still one of two procedures that still make me a bit nervous after 20 years of wrenching on cars and trucks.
The other is tires. Seen too many co-workers get royally messed up or dead doing tires incorrectly.

3 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Seen too many co-workers get royally messed up or dead doing tires incorrectly.

I honestly hope its not properly dead. Though I'm afraid it really is properly dead.

BTW, how is doing tires so difficult? (I have no car experience...)

12 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I honestly hope its not properly dead. Though I'm afraid it really is properly dead.

BTW, how is doing tires so difficult? (I have no car experience...)

Yep. Dead. Been to four funerals. All closed casket for reasons I won't go into.

The dangerous part of tires is inflating and seating the bead properly on both sides of the rim. Basically the rim must be totally clean and devoid of any old rubber that might have glued itself on, any old bead sealer, dirt, residue.

The only advise I can give is only use soap and water, clean the rim very well, lube the tire bead with soap and water and inflate slowly to the recommended max pressure of the tire (says so on the sidewall). If you aren't sure, deflate and recheck your work.

Think of it this way: the average car tire needs a minimum 40 PSI to seat the beads. That's not much, but think of the entire surface area inside a tire. You're dealing with at least 1 to 2 tonnes of pressure total pushing against the entire tire inside surface. Heavy trucks are worse. They run at 120 PSI, and look at how big those tires are.

Doing tires correctly is serious business. Use the safety equipment always, make darn sure you know how to use the tire machines properly, and ask as many questions as you want to feel confident about doing tires.

Because you don't want this to happen:

Edited by GDJ

31 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Definitely safer that way. I've done spring swaps on my 318i and that is still one of two procedures that still make me a bit nervous after 20 years of wrenching on cars and trucks.
The other is tires. Seen too many co-workers get royally messed up or dead doing tires incorrectly.

I did spring swaps on my truck, it wasn't that bad. But I didn't use spring compressors there, I just did it on the truck. Run the jack up under the lower control arm to take up the pressure in the spring, undo the nut on the top hat, then let the jack down nice and easy to release the pressure. Do the reverse to put the new spring in (although I needed to have my wife sit in the truck to add a little weight to help compress the new spring, it started to lift the truck off the jack stand before the screw cleared the top hat).

But, yeah, I let professionals do tires. Not just because it's dangerous to put them together, but because it's also extremely dangerous if you do it wrong. And what are you saving? I can have four tires installed locally for $75, with lifetime rotation and balancing. Makes no sense to try to do it yourself.

Edited by TheSaint

1. I saw the andromeda galaxy in a telescope for the first time.

2. I saw 3 sporadic meteors in one hout(including 1 fireball, and 1 half-second one)

6 hours ago, dundun92 said:

1. I saw the andromeda galaxy in a telescope for the first time.

2. I saw 3 sporadic meteors in one hout(including 1 fireball, and 1 half-second one)

Awesome!

Me and fireballs have a very.... Interesting history..... as in they always scare the living &*#@ out of me.... Or am I just really jumpy when i`m stargazing?

2 hours ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

Or am I just really jumpy when i`m stargazing?

Last night I went outside alone to watch the ISS fly over, but due to the angle I had to go all the way to the corn field and into the neighbor's yard to see it well. It was a bit spooky, there were sounds coming from the corn and then I saw this four legged animal running at me. I jumped and ran, but then I realized that it was my cat.

This night i cried 4 hours straight.

Just because of one thing.

All my classmates, have a girlfriend or/and lots of friends.

I got nothing.

I am somehow strongly antisocial.

Even my best friend, who is actually a nerd, has a lot of friends that are happen to be girls.

I am pretty tall for my age, and for your knowledge, being the tallest dude of 23 other people feels bad.

It hurts my bones, heart and brain.

I neither very strong and sporty, nor very clever.

The only thing i am best at is English language, but i don't think that this will last long.

Hurts.

@cratercracker

Dont worry mate, this is normal, common and it passes, but I understand the pain is real.

Girlfriends/girl-friends are highly overrated at your point in life, you are NOT missing out, I guarantee it.

I was in a similar position when I was younger, but I eventually encountered groups of like-minded people. I didnt have a proper girlfriend until I was in my 20s at uni, and that was a mixed bag too.

Theres no rush with that issue.

As you go through life, you will encounter many different groups of people, in time, you will accrue people who you will bond with.

You will also learn what you are good at, as this is not always obvious.

I had moments like this, I cried, raged, thought stupid thoughts, reacted badly to things. But those were rare moments in the scheme of things and looking back I would hardly change a thing (obivously I would change a few things, I mean come on who wouldnt!).

I *certainly* dont have any qualms about how long it took me to become active with girls. If you only take away one thing, that would be it.

Take comfort in the knowledge that success or popularity in school do not necessarily transfer to success/popularity when you enter real life. Sometimes it does, but it is not a given, I'd even go so far as to say there is little correlation, but I obviously dont have any statistics on that :wink:

Value the friends you have, do not covet what other people have. If you have 1 good friend, you are better off than some. 1 good friends is a valuable thing. Dont worry about others, you have no idea how happy/unhappy they are. It is easily possible that some of the people you see as popular or cool, have moments just like you are having. But dont focus on them.

Do not be bitter. Do not be aloof. Just do you.

You may also find that becoming comfortable in yourself will be visible to others, making the creation of connections more easy.

A great tip, I think, if you are inclined, would be to try an activity out of your normal circles, outside of school. Meet some new people. I've said it before, but I would recommend a martial arts class to anyone, it is a GREAT way to build real (ie: not just wishy-washy psycho-talk) confidence and discipline (amongst many other benefits, at the beginning actual gains in self-defence are almost incidental anyway)(also not for nothing, but height a major advantage :) ), but any activity where you meet new people could be helpful. It can also help you feel more in control of your life, because you will literally be taking more control, even if you dont suddenly find a group of new best buddies, the experience helps a great deal.

Just some stream-of-conciousness advice from my own experience, I hope at least some is relevant :)

Edited by p1t1o

I turned my telescope into a microscope? I shined a relatively weak flashlight through the objective lens and when i looked through eyepiece i saw things that look EXACTLY like how things look in while looking through a microscope. Like this:

4956488315_4a9619b7fa_b.jpg

So this is an actual conversation between 2 coaches that I happened to be in the same class with. NOTE: Names changed for privacy sake.

Coach M: Who would ever want Vidal?

Coach R: *Shrugs*

M: Unless you want to shoot him of course

Class: *Laughs a bit*

R: *Smiles*

M: Maybe use him for a bit of Target Practice...

C: *Laughs some more*

R: *Smiles some more*

M: I'm serious. Miracle he didn't die last summer.

M: His brother got married and they went to Matamoros.

M: Can you imagine him down there, mouthing off to those drug cartels?

C: *Laughs a lot more*
R: *Resists urge to laugh*
M: I mean he's not fast enough to outrun 'em.

C: *Laughs*
R: *Smile wider than Texas*

M: *Walks out of the room*

On 9/30/2017 at 2:47 PM, NSEP said:

They are not ours though.

"Hey mom, can I take the nuclear missile that's probably going to kill us all out for a drive?"
"Yeah, just be back before 8. AND TAKE OUT THE GARBAGE WHILE YOU'RE AT IT"

16 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

since when was I good at tuba?!?!

whaaa?

I remember playing that moster machines in the equivalent of third grade. I was quite good at it but i never want to use it again, it feels like a gigantic scorpion is crawling in my mouth. Or at least at that age i geuss.

4 hours ago, NSEP said:

I remember playing that moster machines in the equivalent of third grade. I was quite good at it but i never want to use it again, it feels like a gigantic scorpion is crawling in my mouth. Or at least at that age i geuss.

but the tuba is fun! we get exempt from practically everything annoying, and we get to be louder then half the band!

i keep on "praticing" doing some stuff eyes closed time to time, noticably today interacting with others people move(dunno if air move, sound, whatever ondulatory is barely feelable sometime, but it seem), i get better at it, the world is really different eyes closed, that's weird when you reopen them, it's even more different ... doing that help me to relax when flooded by emotion coming from everywhere

Edited by WinkAllKerb''