What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

44 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Again, i want to talk to her in person, any tips?

I don't have much experience in this area, but maybe I'll be able to help a little bit.

Step 1. If you are in school, ensure that the school bell will not ring embarrassingly in the middle of the conversation.

Step 2. Take a deep breath.

Step 3. Count to 3 (or count down to 0, whichever you like).

Step 4. Begin a natural conversation. "Hey, *insert name,* how are you doing today?"

Step 5. Carry on conversation.

Step 6. At the end of the conversation, say "have a nice day" or something along those lines, and nicely say bye.

I usually get stuck on step 5, though. :/ That's really the hard part.

In short, it's a conversation. It's not like the world will end due to a subpar conversation. Take a breath, relax, and just talk!

As far as actually asking her out, I'm not the one to ask about that because I have zero experience there (yay, I'm a space nerd). I don't know if your school has already had Homecoming yet, but at least at my school it really isn't that big of a deal even though to space nerds like myself it seems like this giant insurmountable hurdle.

And, lastly, make sure she doesn't have a boyfriend or anything. That would be bad if you asked her out without knowing that she did have one.

Good luck!

*Disclaimer: I have next to no experience in this field.

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

And to think, a mechanic would have charged you much more than that...

I've actually been sweating bullets about it, because just looking at it from up top with the hood open it looked and sounded like the compressor was crapping out, which would mean that even if I fixed it myself it would cost north of $800. But I started taking things apart last night and it just looked like the clutch plate was rubbing on the pulley when it was supposed to be disengaged. So I grabbed a little thin stainless washer, drilled out the center so it fit over the bolt, and used it to shim out the clutch plate another couple hundredths of an inch. Everything lines up perfectly now.

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

so tell your significant other you're going to need to pay off the mechanic... and treat yourself to something nice... :D

LOL, our house isn't like that. If I want to buy something for myself, I'm all, "Honey, I'm buying this." Which works, because I'm the one who thinks, "Do I really need this? Can I make do without it? Can I do this cheaper?" 

I remember when I was about six or seven one of my dad's friends, Art, was visiting. They're sitting in the living room talking and I was playing in the next room where I could hear them. Art says to my dad, "Hey, your birthday is coming up, what can I get ya?" My dad said, "I dunno. Don't really want anything. I'd rather just get something for the kids." And I remember being just gobsmacked: How could you possibly not want anything for your birthday! And now I'm about the same age he was, and I'm exactly the same way.

11 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

LOL, our house isn't like that. If I want to buy something for myself, I'm all, "Honey, I'm buying this." Which works, because I'm the one who thinks, "Do I really need this? Can I make do without it? Can I do this cheaper?" 

I remember when I was about six or seven one of my dad's friends, Art, was visiting. They're sitting in the living room talking and I was playing in the next room where I could hear them. Art says to my dad, "Hey, your birthday is coming up, what can I get ya?" My dad said, "I dunno. Don't really want anything. I'd rather just get something for the kids." And I remember being just gobsmacked: How could you possibly not want anything for your birthday! And now I'm about the same age he was, and I'm exactly the same way.

I'm the same way... until it comes to coffee. I don't share my coffee... :D

When it comes to family vacations, I would rather buy my daughter a souvenir than get anything for myself.

Edited by adsii1970

PTPTPPTPTPTPTPTPTP *pops a megaminx*

I will be outside playing sax in the pep band tonight for the homecoming game. So, I decided to check if there will be any ISS passes while I'm out there. I checked Satflare, and ISS will pass almost directly overhead! I decided to look at it in more detail in Stellarium, just for a little extra info on where and when to look. I zoom in, and see...a Progress resupply vehicle! I will tell the whole band and the director about it! They should both be visible!

Anybody know the approximate magnitude of a Progress/Soyuz at altitude?

Edited by cubinator

Just now, cubinator said:

PTPTPPTPTPTPTPTPTP *pops a megaminx*

I will be outside playing sax in the pep band tonight for the homecoming game. So, I decided to check if there will be any ISS passes while I'm out there. I checked Satflare, and ISS will pass almost directly overhead! I decided to look at it in more detail in Stellarium, just for a little extra info on where and when to look. I zoom in, and see...a Progress resupply vehicle! I will tell the whole band and the director about it! They should both be visible!

Two things:

1. If you're on the field the ISS will probably not be visible due to the super bright lights.
  2. The progress was delayed, it won't launch until tomorrow morning (I'm assuming your game is tonight), unless a Progress is undocking.

1 minute ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Two things:

1. If you're on the field the ISS will probably not be visible due to the super bright lights.

I've seen it there several times, it's plenty bright.

1 minute ago, Ultimate Steve said:
  1. The progress was delayed, it won't launch until tomorrow morning (I'm assuming your game is tonight), unless a Progress is undocking.

Stellarium says it's Progress MS-06, which launched in June. I think they will be/are undocking it in preparation for the new vehicle arriving in the next few days.

Just now, cubinator said:

I've seen it there several times, it's plenty bright.

Stellarium says it's Progress MS-06, which launched in June. I think they will be/are undocking it in preparation for the new vehicle arriving in the next few days.

Ahh, okay. Just making sure. :)

14 minutes ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

lol, you should`ve played something dramatic while it was flying over

Nobody would've gotten the reference. Besides, we were too busy watching it!

Then my mouthpiece got chipped right before the halftime show, and I couldn't make a sound. I still played very well despite that! I have another for concert sound, but I think I'll try printing a new one for pep band. Maybe in bright blue.

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

Nobody would've gotten the reference. Besides, we were too busy watching it!

Then my mouthpiece got chipped right before the halftime show, and I couldn't make a sound. I still played very well despite that! I have another for concert sound, but I think I'll try printing a new one for pep band. Maybe in bright blue.

Print?!

12 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I don't have much experience in this area, but maybe I'll be able to help a little bit.

Step 1. If you are in school, ensure that the school bell will not ring embarrassingly in the middle of the conversation.

Step 2. Take a deep breath.

Step 3. Count to 3 (or count down to 0, whichever you like).

Step 4. Begin a natural conversation. "Hey, *insert name,* how are you doing today?"

Step 5. Carry on conversation.

Step 6. At the end of the conversation, say "have a nice day" or something along those lines, and nicely say bye.

I usually get stuck on step 5, though. :/ That's really the hard part.

In short, it's a conversation. It's not like the world will end due to a subpar conversation. Take a breath, relax, and just talk!

Fun fact: for some dumb reason, our school does not have a bell anymore.

About a year ago i also got stuck on step 5, but things like 'nice shirt, where did you get that from?' Or 'when is your birthday actually?' (cuz i dunno that) should keep it running for a while. 

Thanks man, you might just have saved my life!

Last night I had one of those "my god, I'm old" moments.

Me and the mini-me went to Sonic to get some easy dinner, left mommy at home.

Carhop brings out our food, and the kid says to me: "That's an interesting Jeep you have there. Is it really a Jeep, or did you just glue Jeep stuff to it?"

I said: "No, it's real.  They made these from '86 to '92."

Carhop: "Oh, I wasn't around back then."

Granted, I was born during the production run, but the kid had clearly never seen a Comanche before.  He was probably born this century.  So naturally I went home and played my video game while sobbing uncontrollably into my burger.

On 10/14/2017 at 8:41 AM, cubinator said:

Yes. I can simply download a 3D model, modify it as needed, and then 3D print it in colored plastic. This is the Future, after all!

How many do you have?  I've got 4 printers.  Had a 5th, but gave it to my brother.

Edited by Geonovast

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎13 at 10:59 PM, Ultimate Steve said:

I don't know if your school has already had Homecoming yet, but at least at my school it really isn't that big of a deal even though to space nerds like myself it seems like this giant insurmountable hurdle.

Homecoming? What is this Homecoming thing? Are you guys talking about that crowded event thing with all the food.....?

EDIT: Nvm, I was thinking about the October dance. They both have food, at least where I live. That's more or less all I pay attention to lol

Edited by Earthlinger

11 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

I've always wondered what "homecoming" is.

I mean, where were you?

Is it like "Im coming home for the holidays"?

It's where alumni/former students 'come back home' to their old/original schools. I think.

24 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Oh a reunion!

29 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

It's where alumni/former students 'come back home' to their old/original schools. I think.

41 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

I've always wondered what "homecoming" is.

I mean, where were you?

Is it like "Im coming home for the holidays"?

No, homecoming is kind of like prom, but for the whole school. 

Thats my experience with it