What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

3 hours ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

This is the main purpose in life for boys age 11-19.

When I was that age our family would go out to dinner. I would eat my dinner, half of my mom's dinner, half of my dad's dinner, and my brother would be fighting me off with his fork and knife.

I'm stuck at school.

The Pre-Calc teacher isn't feeling well so we're not doing anything in class. I've still got to last another 2-2.5 hours and I don't have anything to do. I could go home right now and not miss anything but I'm not allowed... Hooray for the American Education System.

12 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I'm stuck at school.

The Pre-Calc teacher isn't feeling well so we're not doing anything in class. I've still got to last another 2-2.5 hours and I don't have anything to do. I could go home right now and not miss anything but I'm not allowed... Hooray for the American Education System.

When we have nothing for that long we can go to the Lunch hall and maybe even go home, or get some candy from the G-store. I usually stay in the Lunch Hall, since i don't know if going out of school is even allowed.

So yesterday as I was biking to school, I was braking and turning for a corner when my bike encountered a patch of completely invisible ice. Predictably, my bike started sliding around and I was forced to drift through the corner until my tyres got grip again... 

It was a nice drift though :cool: 

Edited by TheEpicSquared

6 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

aaaaaalmost done with portal 1, really good game, especially for 2003(?)

Really good game, and 2 is even better.

I've given up all hope of going through my tons of unplayed Steam games from previous sales, tho. I just bought my friend's PS3 :B

9 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

the steam sale has returned!

this time I got both portal games for only 2 bucks!

aaaaaalmost done with portal 1, really good game, especially for 2003(?)

The Portal series is really great, I've played through both countless times. I can beat Portal 1 in less than half an hour. I don't know what it is about me and doing puzzles fast, but there's something really enjoyable about it.

Oh, Portal 2 even has its medals for completing puzzles in less time, least portals used, and, uh... least steps taken. As in, walking.

There's this one challenge, to get the medal you must walk at most three steps. Craaaaazy stuff for Portal veterans only.

Actually, it just reminded me of something funny/interesting that happened to me years ago.

See, back when Tetris was THE THING (which is not where my story happens, I'm a few months younger than that game), people commented on this "Tetris effect": after playing a whole damn lot of it, people started looking at things and seeing them squarish, imagining how to fit things constantly, and even got to the point where some people hallucinated tetris pieces on the borders of their vision, or with their eyes closed. Now, when Portal came out, there was a similar effect called "Thinking with Portals". I know because I had it. It was terrible; every white surface I saw was, um... "portalble"? I'd want to make shortcuts. I'd see places and think "wow, the momentum I'd get from there, then launch from here...". Eventually it wore off, naturally (well, only after I stopped playing it, for sure).

Now, the interesting bit is that, the one other game that gave me the same effect? KSP. Seriously.

There was this time in my life where I had a parking space where I worked at. In an underground garage. And it just coincided with the time I first played (and instantly loved) KSP. When I came out of it, there were these two ramps, and my car suffered to climb them. Now, every single time, as soon as the engine needed more power, I'd feel like my side boosters had just ran out, were dragging me down, and needed decoupling. Seriously, I could feel their weight. I'd sometimes (just for fun, obviously) slam the dashboard where the space bar was supposed to be, yelling "STAGE GODDAMMIT".

Ah, good times.

I just gave my crush this drawing:

KFDUJrT.jpg

I love how she and her friends just gather around to see the drawing, all of them having a big smile on their face, while i walk away. It feels so good! I wonder how they will react on Monday (likely not much of a reaction, bit I'll see)

Oh and another girl said i was smart.

Edited by NSEP

K, so...

===BACKSTORY===

A while back I developed an obsession with the history of my small town, most notably old buildings. Even my high school (built in the 1920's) is so huge and labrynthian that I'm constantly finding rooms I didn't know existed. I kept sneaking into places for a while (then I realized that the school has cameras everywhere, but fortunately (I hope) nobody ever bothers checking them unless something goes wrong).

I knew the first school in my town was built in the 1850's. It was later expanded and the original wing was demolished a few decades later and the new part is old and collapsing, but still standing near the center of the town. My school's library had a book about the history of Tipton from about 120 years ago until now, and from that I learned a few things:

1. In 1880 that school was moved to a new one, the 1879 school (built in 79, occupied in 80).

2. In 1895 they built a bigger school next to the first one because they ran out of space.

3. They kept building more buildings around there to facilitate the extra students.

4. Then, in 1925, they built a new building, the current one, and expanded it a few times.

5. The important fact - the 1879 school looked badass as Jeb.

rcVyYAG.jpg?1

That's not the best picture, but it's the best one I could find online. The other picture I saw in the book was much, much better than this one.

I mean, WOAH! That's just COOL! WAAAAAAY better looking than our current school - and probably taller.

So I tried to find it.

And failed. Long story short, both of those buildings had been demolished sometime, I couldn't find out when.

But - I found out where they were built - right next to the current school, where the practice field currently is. I heard from someone that you can see the foundations on a frosty day (as of yet unconfirmed).

ANYWAY, now onto what happened today.

My obsession with old buildings continued. I decided on a whim that I'd try to find the old abandoned insane asylum that I knew was outside of town somewhere. I had heard from my friends that they had been there before. Some research later, I hopped on my bike with a vague idea of where it was and set off.

Before we go any further, I want to clarify that I am not a vandal and had no intention of vandalizing anything. At best I wanted to just see it with my own two eyes and maybe take a short peek inside. My ultimate goal (requiring multiple trips) would have been to make a map of the place (documenting it and stuff) so that when it finally is demolished it won't be completely forgotten.

So I biked around for a bit, went down one road, turned around, and went down another road. I was about to give up and head home when I crested a hill and saw it - an old, four story brick building with smashed glass and untended trees. After checking that nobody was there, I went up the short driveway and noticed a small cemetery. There was also a gate to prevent vehicles from entering, but it only blocked the road and nothing else.

There were no keep out signs, no private property signs, no fence, no nothing, so I decided it would be alright to get a bit closer. If I was breaking a serious law, it's not like I would be the only one who had. There was barely anything left of the windows of the place.

I cautiously walked up the steps that led to the entryway, looking around at the magnificently eerie building in front of me. I got up to the door (no locks, all windows smashed) and stuck my head up to the broken window. I honestly don't remember what the entry room looked like, for the I heard someone. Then I heard a door slam really loudly and I jumped a little before speedwalking back down the stairs, boarding my bike and swiftly getting out of there.

And then I went home and realized something. The building was only accessible via two roads, the highway, and the gravel road I had taken. The gravel was slippery, and not ideal for biking at all. The highway is obviously a no go for biking.

And on the gravel road, there are actually quite a few farm houses. And there's really nothing to see out there except for the asylum. So if they see a guy on his bike on the road (it's actually a pretty long road) they know he's probably going to the asylum (and the stereotype is that we teens are all vandals that never do good), so on the way back I kept tensing up every time a car passed, or every time I passed a house until I got back into town.

So, that's the interesting thing that happened today...

14 minutes ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

I went to the Space and Rocket Center again in Alabama for the first time since Space Camp this summer. T'was still cool as ever.

It is always fun to see a Saturn V on the horizon. Even if it is a replica. 

I love the Space and Rocket Center. Cool place.

6 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

(Snip)

So, that's the interesting thing that happened today...

You should go there again and ask the residents what they know about the history of the area.  You might find they are amenable to talking about the local history and might point you in the direction of someone who could give you permission to explore, provided the building is safe.

On 11/24/2017 at 2:51 PM, Ultimate Steve said:

K, so...

===BACKSTORY===

A while back I developed an obsession with the history of my small town, most notably old buildings. Even my high school (built in the 1920's) is so huge and labrynthian that I'm constantly finding rooms I didn't know existed. I kept sneaking into places for a while (then I realized that the school has cameras everywhere, but fortunately (I hope) nobody ever bothers checking them unless something goes wrong).

I knew the first school in my town was built in the 1850's. It was later expanded and the original wing was demolished a few decades later and the new part is old and collapsing, but still standing near the center of the town. My school's library had a book about the history of Tipton from about 120 years ago until now, and from that I learned a few things:

1. In 1880 that school was moved to a new one, the 1879 school (built in 79, occupied in 80).

2. In 1895 they built a bigger school next to the first one because they ran out of space.

3. They kept building more buildings around there to facilitate the extra students.

4. Then, in 1925, they built a new building, the current one, and expanded it a few times.

5. The important fact - the 1879 school looked badass as Jeb.

My hometown was a just grass 15 years ago. We moved in when it was just 4 years away from being complete. We did not have fences yet and our front neighbours houses where still under construction.

I don't think my school is really old either, maybe 60 years, (because of the boring like building style), but its hard too look info about it since our school is set in 4 different locations, 3 of them are close to mine.

The building style of the location where is rather boring, with a cool looking modern thing to hide its sadness. All the other schools look modern and are huge, (expect for the one further away to me)

An old pic (i don't remember arriving at school on gravel)

Edited by Vanamonde

I play guitar. Not saying I'm good - but I play. So, I had a song stuck in my head and I thought I would watch a tutorial on how to play it, taking the easy route instead of trying to work it out. After watching, I started clicking other videos of people covering the same song. I had a lot of fun. Saw some different approaches and got to laugh at a lot of people who really shouldn't post themselves playing - just yet. Then there is always that 10 year old kid who plays effortlessly, perfectly, and without a rock star mentality. Kid you humble me.