Ultimate Steve

What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

In... October:blink:

Fall Break I assume. Or maybe Spring, if it's the Southern Hemisphere...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

It’s not the winter holiday or anything, just a mid-term holiday. We have them every 5-6 weeks.

Holidays every 5-6 weeks? Man, when I was in school we got doodly squat from September to December. :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Holidays every 5-6 weeks? Man, when I was in school we got doodly squat from September to December. :huh:

Not even for thanksgiving?

And I thought my school break policy was a bit empty (no breaks from about start of school till thanksgiving IIRC, then nothing from then until winterbreak in mid december)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have mid-term holiday too, just one week.

But you do have to realize we only have 6 weeks of summer vacation because of this, rather than 3 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

a mid-term holiday. We have them every 5-6 weeks.

Enjoy it while it lasts I say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

my marching band won our division at a competition at a college stadium. it was pretty fun

Our marching band competition got rained out. :( But, then, we have won the past five years, so maybe it's about time we give the other schools in our division a chance to believe they could have won. :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ultimate Steve said:

Our marching band competition got rained out. :( But, then, we have won the past five years, so maybe it's about time we give the other schools in our division a chance to believe they could have won. :D

our band director probably wouldn't have let us stop until there was a significant amount of lightning in the area, but nice of you to let the other bands think they have a chance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the subject of marching bands, my sister and her marching band set a new school record. (I'm not in a marching band - the schools a bit too small for one)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StupidAndy said:

my marching band won our division at a competition at a college stadium. it was pretty fun

Mine in HS won our division at a competition once.  It was pretty exciting.  Of course, we were the only ones in our division who showed up.

I really liked marching band.  It's the only thing I miss about High School.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Mine in HS won our division at a competition once.  It was pretty exciting.  Of course, we were the only ones in our division who showed up.

I really liked marching band.  It's the only thing I miss about High School.

our marching band is awesome, this is our 3rd first place finish in our season...out of 3 competitions. single A is easy, but it shouldn't be THIS easy

and marching band is so far the best thing in high school. not like its that much of a competition though

oh yeah, also our band came in 3rd at a competition against quadruple A bands, there we were double A but still

Edited by StupidAndy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@dundun92

Must have been Sunday's show, just from the blue in the sky.  I didn't hear a lot of activity on Saturday (besides the Blue Angels), but a decent amount on Sunday.  I did see a couple of flybys of the Pearl Harbor formation, but not much else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried coffee for the first time in my life today.
It's... something I need to get used to. I didn't expect coffee to taste this bitter, let alone bitter at all.

Edited by Delay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Delay said:

I tried coffee for the first time in my life today.
It's... something I need to get used to. I didn't expect coffee to taste this bitter, let alone bitter at all.

It’s an acquired taste. Cream and sugar at your friends. Also, local coffee house, not the industrial grade slag that comes from a big dispenser. 

Unless you really need to stay up, that is. 

You’ll know you’ve reached coffee nirvana when you just eat the roasted beans by the handfull with a swish of water. :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Delay said:

It's... something I need to get used to. I didn't expect coffee to taste this bitter, let alone bitter at all.

That's why it wakes you up. No more the case for me though, I can sleep after a cup of coffee.

3 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Eat the roasted beans by the handfull with a swish of water.

I think you want to ensure you're not one of this.

Edited by YNM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, razark said:

@dundun92

Must have been Sunday's show, just from the blue in the sky.  I didn't hear a lot of activity on Saturday (besides the Blue Angels), but a decent amount on Sunday.  I did see a couple of flybys of the Pearl Harbor formation, but not much else.

Yes it was. This show was more "meh" then last year definitely, the viper demo was probably the most interesting thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

Yes it was. This show was more "meh" then last year definitely, the viper demo was probably the most interesting thing.

I haven't been to the show in a few years, but I'm living about 3 miles from Ellington, so I do get to see some of the planes flying by.  Last year's Thunderbirds were pretty impressive when they came straight overhead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2018 at 11:39 AM, qzgy said:

On the subject of marching bands, my sister and her marching band set a new school record. 

For marching or banding? Longest march? Highest note? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

For marching or banding? Longest march? Highest note? 

Both? They banded together to march to victory while banding.

I think previously her school's band in competition got a score of around 82 (Don't know much, but I guess its like ice skating where performance is graded on a number of things, like the quality of playing and how good the performance or show is? IDK, maybe someone actually in a marching band can better explain). In the most recent competition, they got a score of 86.775.

So.... cumulative subjective score of show/performance I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Both? They banded together to march to victory while banding.

I think previously her school's band in competition got a score of around 82 (Don't know much, but I guess its like ice skating where performance is graded on a number of things, like the quality of playing and how good the performance or show is? IDK, maybe someone actually in a marching band can better explain). In the most recent competition, they got a score of 86.775.

 So.... cumulative subjective score of show/performance I guess.

IIRC they start at 100 and subtract points for anything they see or hear that is wrong, like out of step marching, wrong notes, sound quality, improperly worn uniforms, absence of roll-stepping, or phasing.

EDIT: No specific information but here is a general overview: http://sunnyslope.guhsdaz.org/s_h_s_web_index/contact_us/faculty_directory/andrew_larusch/viking_pride_band/Frequently_asked_question/marching_band_scoring_explained

 

Edited by Ultimate Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Both? They banded together to march to victory while banding.

I think previously her school's band in competition got a score of around 82 (Don't know much, but I guess its like ice skating where performance is graded on a number of things, like the quality of playing and how good the performance or show is? IDK, maybe someone actually in a marching band can better explain). In the most recent competition, they got a score of 86.775.

So.... cumulative subjective score of show/performance I guess. 

86 is their school record? we got an 85 at a competition this year, and at a competition that the judges were scaling down score one of our staff people said we would've gotten a 90

but good on ya sister

14 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

IIRC they start at 100 and subtract points for anything they see or hear that is wrong, like out of step marching, wrong notes, sound quality, improperly worn uniforms, absence of roll-stepping, or phasing.

i think it starts at 0 and we prove that we get the 100? i think they have separate judges for everything and they each rate their section out of 100? I have to check the score sheet, maybe I'll get more info there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my school issued Chromebook I sometimes get bored and look up space stuff, which involves googling, technical terms, and repeated googling of calculations as I don't have a calculator on hand. The result is that every 5-10 minutes while doing it I'll be stopped by a captcha.

Basically Google thinks I'm a robot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I'll be stopped by a captcha.

I have to do one like every other time I log into NewEgg (which I do far too much..)

Not normal ones.  Those stupid picture ones.  Apparently I don't know what a storefront looks like, because I fail them. All. The. Time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.