What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Several years ago we got a tree. It was maybe three feet tall and fit on a table. Now it's maybe… forty feet tall? Haven't exactly measured it.
And it rains pine needles and cones over the entire backyard, instead of just the living room floor.

(There're two more younger ones from later years in the front yard.)

6 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Several years ago we got a tree. It was maybe three feet tall and fit on a table. Now it's maybe… forty feet tall? Haven't exactly measured it.
And it rains pine needles and cones over the entire backyard, instead of just the living room floor.

(There're two more younger ones from later years in the front yard.)

The Lorax thanks you. :D

My daughter has been hitting the K'nex pretty hard the last few days, so last night I brought up ~half of the ones stashed in the basement and started on the business end of a Falcon 9.

xeluQFm.jpg

Someone make the forum stop rotating my pictures.  ;.;

Edit: Imgur to the rescue, apparently.

Edited by Geonovast

31 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Someone make the forum stop rotating my pictures.  ;.;

That's probably happening within your camera, actually. You should be able to find some function for rotating images there. Alternatively, if you upload to Imgur, you can rotate the images there too.

Just now, cubinator said:

That's probably happening within your camera, actually. You should be able to find some function for rotating images there. Alternatively, if you upload to Imgur, you can rotate the images there too.

I'm not sure.  If I paste the link's location directly into a new tab, it shows up correctly.  But if I use CubeUpload's image viewer, it's rotated...?  It shows up correctly on my phone.

I'll see what Imgur does.

Nasty storm rolling through now. Just had a 39mph gust at our house, which is largely sheltered by trees. That's a record by a lot. Power's out, gennie's on, and now I'm just sitting here watching the cameras waiting for that old, dead tree I should have dealt with last year to fall and knock out our power meter stack.

What's that curse about interesting times? :P

2 hours ago, LordFerret said:

True comedy... sitting here watching my wife try to find her Christmas present that I hid in the house.

The evil thing to do here is say you hid a present and not get one till the day after.

3 hours ago, LordFerret said:

True comedy... sitting here watching my wife try to find her Christmas present that I hid in the house.

I'm trying to find my Christmas present that I bough myself and stored. Somewhere. I hope.

I never though I would do this to myself. I think I'm getting old. :) 

3 hours ago, LordFerret said:

We bought my daughter a bike for Christmas. We did Family Christmas yesterday, which is a tradition we started where we give our presents to each other before we go back to California to do Christmas with our families. That way we can avoid having to drag all our presents all over the country. For the bike we wrapped a small package under the tree that had a sticky note in it that started her on a goose chase all over the house and wound up in the garage where the bike was behind my wife's car. When her and the boys finally got to the garage they somehow got it in their heads that the present was in the car and spent a good two minutes searching the car before they noticed that there was a bike behind it. Just when I thought i had the smartest kids in the world.... :rolleyes:

The high speed ferry "Benchijigua Express" between Tenerife and La Palma tried to make fast in the port of Santa Cruz de La Palma last night, but had to turn back to the open sea because of wind and wave. Both stood right into the harbour entrance and prevented safe maneouvering. Passengers and Crew spent the Christmas night on the sea.

https://elapuron.com/noticias/sociedad/121742/los-pasajeros-fred-olsen-pasan-la-nochebuena-bordo-al-no-poder-atracar-la-palma/

The ship was able to berth this morning.

Edited by Green Baron

I got Subnautica for free! :3

They were having a giveaway and the game can be purchased for free until December 27 11:59 pm EST from the Epic Games Store!

Now, to see what this VR hubalubadubbub is all about! Wait! I dont have a VR headset! When are they giving VR headsets for free? Next Christmas, maybe!

Edited by Nivee~

I got the LEGO Saturn V for Christmas, and feverishly worked on it until I was able to finish it this afternoon. It is an awesome model (I have pics, but I don't want to go through the trauma of using Imgur on my phone) and includes all three stages, the CSM and LM and even three tiny figures to scale with the rocket.

For Xmas I also received several books, including a Haynes book about the USS Enterprise and the 'Space Shuttle Operator's Manual' which is essentially a detailed guide on how to fly the Space Shuttle (if I ever get to fly on a Shuttle, which is extremely unlikely :P I will bring that book along). It was published in 1988, so some parts are out of date, but it still does the job.

Diogenes 2.0:

Well, it didn't happen in my life but not far from here. Frenchman Jean-Jaques Savin took on sea from El Hierrro for an Atlantic crossing ... in a barrel. He'll be drifting at around 1-2 nots. If i was him, i'd reserve half of the barrel for ... well, whatever he would need to kill the time.

https://www.france24.com/en/20181226-france-savin-frenchman-sail-sailor-boat-atlantic-barrel-sea.

And as Plato once said about Diogenes: "A mad philosopher" (or so) i am tempted to say "A mad sailor".

Expect barrel rolls.:confused:

Edited by Green Baron

On 12/28/2018 at 1:12 AM, qzgy said:

Saw that WW1 film "They shall not grow old". Amazing film, would highly recommend. If only they showed it more than two days, of which yesterday (Dec 27) was the last

I heard about it, then forgot. So I guess now I have missed it.

6 hours ago, Delay said:

I always end up with 9/5 as the area of a Koch curve, but Wikipedia states that it is 8/5.
Better yet, the German one agrees with me that it is 9/5.

So either the English article is wrong or my approach is wrong.

The Russian sources (wiki and others) also say it's 8/5.
Though wiki in other articles tell 9/5.

So, you should better cut out it from a paper and compare its weight with the weight of a paper square.

Edited by kerbiloid