What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

16 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

How about "A sergeant in motion outranks a lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on"?

That works, although we didn't have Sergeants... we had Chiefs.  And if Lieutenants weren't bad enough, we had LTJG's (Lieutenant Junior Grade)... the profanity rules here prevent me from describing their purpose and function and usefulness in life, use your imagination.

49 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

That works, although we didn't have Sergeants... we had Chiefs.  And if Lieutenants weren't bad enough, we had LTJG's (Lieutenant Junior Grade)... the profanity rules here prevent me from describing their purpose and function and usefulness in life, use your imagination.

Enswines. I remember sitting in control shooting the breeze with a bunch of guys and we got to the subject of what we got paid. There was an ensign who had just reported aboard there and when he found out what we got paid he seriously believed we were lying to him. And then we pointed out to him that when he qualified a watch station he got a bonus check. When we qualified a watch station we got a swift kick in the ass.

22 hours ago, TheSaint said:

With only a compass and a map to guide him, the Lieutenant was able to lead his platoon from the assembly area through the final objective — an incredible distance of over 5 kilometers — without getting lost once.

Considering today's young people, that is a phenomenal feat and worthy of a medal.

30 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Considering today's young people, that is a phenomenal feat and worthy of a medal.

Today’s young people? Try my father and his dependence on the GPS Annoying Annies...

He tends to have two-three of them up at once. Makes for a good comedy routine whenever they disagree.

1 hour ago, LordFerret said:

I think everybody should learn how to navigate by the sun and stars...it's really easy and actually quite helpful to know where you're going after only a quick glance at a clear sky.

25 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

Well, it's the middle of summer there.

Yeah. I simply can't fathom -70*C...I don't know what that would be like, literally almost freezing the air from your breath...

25 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I think everybody should learn how to navigate by the sun and stars...it's really easy and actually quite helpful to know where you're going after only a quick glance at a clear sky.

Well, part of the joke is that the Army teaches land navigation at infantry school. And a lot of the junior officers very famously still get lost.

2 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Well, part of the joke is that the Army teaches land navigation at infantry school. And a lot of the junior officers very famously still get lost.

Try hard not to laugh, true story.....

Female relative;  Driving south from NJ to Gulf Shores Alabama, makes two (2) complete laps around Washington DC on I495, and then followed that feat with two (2) complete laps around Atlanta Georgia on I285.

Just now, LordFerret said:

Try hard not to laugh, true story.....

Female relative;  Driving south from NJ to Gulf Shores Alabama, makes two (2) complete laps around Washington DC on I495, and then followed that feat with two (2) complete laps around Atlanta Georgia on I285.

I still remember when I drove my car from California to Orlando between A school and nuke school back in 1987. Driving on the 10 through downtown San Antonio they had massive road construction going on. At one point there were about six lanes of traffic and suddenly all the lane stripes went solid and they had big signs everywhere, "DO NOT CHANGE LANES". And then you came around the corner into the interchange and saw the signs that told you where you were going now. It was interchange roulette! I thought I was safe because I was in the second lane from the left, but it turns out I was stuck on a left exit into downtown San Antonio. Which was this maze of one way streets with no clear signage pointing you back to the freeway. And this was 30 years ago, so there were no smart phones or GPS units. It was paper maps, stopping for directions, and making educated guesses. Took me 20 minutes to find my way back on.

26 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

It was paper maps, stopping for directions, and making educated guesses. Took me 20 minutes to find my way back on.

Heh, sounds like my first year trying to navigate around Seattle, only throw in my first stick shift and copious amounts of hills.  :D

4 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

T'was a good month at work.  I got my commission report this morning.

My LEGO Saturn V will be here Monday.  :D

I, too, know this feeling. :D Doubletime-and-a-half all day working MLK day last week. 

My 35” Ultrawide monitor will be here on Sunday. :cool: hopefully. 

What would make all twenty-somethings dress alike? [snip]

No.

Spoiler

[photo redacted]

The skyrocketing food delivery industry.

Edited by Gargamel
Politics, Obscene gesture in pic

On 2/1/2019 at 9:36 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

35” Ultrawide monitor

It's a time to think about some contact lenses with internal 0.5" HD monitor. Why turn the head when it's possible to augment the reality? Turn any wall into display.

Edited by kerbiloid

8 minutes ago, DDE said:

Why bother with contacts?

1.Already at hands eyes.
2.Stereo.
3.Nobody can stand between the projector and the screen.

P.S.
Google glasses are just a temporary solution because:
1. They (it?) provoke the muggles to beat face and take the superglasses.
2. They (it?) do not fit a gas mask.

P.P.S.
Contacts augmenting the reality also allow to catch the pokemons looking normal for others.

Edited by kerbiloid

My daughter came by today, she is 19 now and she has school/job/social life so I don't see her as much as I used to.

It's funny, when kids are young you wish they would get out of your face.

And then they grow up so fast that they don't even have time for you. ^_^

Edited by Triop