Jump to content

What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?


Recommended Posts

On 2/18/2019 at 8:27 PM, DarkOwl57 said:

What's the difference between a passport and a visa? (Passport: ~2-week stay. Visa: Over two weeks)

#NotAllPassports

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Nivee~ said:

My Dad was laughing out REALLY loud. "HAhaHA!!! It was not the Thiosulphate Pentahydrate, it was the Hexametaphosphate!!" He was talking to one of his colleagues over the phone.

After he was done with the phone call, I could not hold myself back and asked him what the joke was. He just said it was grown up stuff, I won't understand.

I looked up those terms in Google, but couldn't really find what was that funny...

Is your dad a chemist? Cause it might be that they just found what went wrong and it was some dumb mistake or something or some other cause for a thing that happened while in the lab.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Nivee~ said:

My Dad was laughing out REALLY loud. "HAhaHA!!! It was not the Thiosulphate Pentahydrate, it was the Hexametaphosphate!!" He was talking to one of his colleagues over the phone.

After he was done with the phone call, I could not hold myself back and asked him what the joke was. He just said it was grown up stuff, I won't understand.

I looked up those terms in Google, but couldn't really find what was that funny...

Well, you should march right back in there and ask him what the reaction would have been if, instead of Hexametaphosphate, he’d used hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane. :D Bonus points if you can say it all in one breath. 

I sure can’t. 

Other names that are far much more fun to say than, say, go swimming in*: chlorine trifluoride, azidoazide azide, and the ever popular dioxygen difluoride. And don’t even get me started on dihydrogen monoxide, that stuff will kill you ded in so many ways.  :o

Spoiler

*do not actually attempt to go swimming in any of these. Merely gathering enough in one place to fill a small basin is enough to cause a reaction, such a reaction generally involving running and screaming. Possibly with flailing arms.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane

Oh my god thats actually a thing. I thought it was a joke.

1920px-CL-20.svg.png

Kinda pretty tbh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

dihydrogen monoxide, that stuff will kill you ded in so many ways.

Seriously? :D

6 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Oh my god thats actually a thing.

SERIOUSLY???? :o

3 hours ago, qzgy said:

Is your dad a chemist?

Oh he's a scientist. He researches slurry flow.

Turns out that his juniors were using a wrong additive in their experiments. He was getting a good laugh at their expense.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Oh my god thats actually a thing. I thought it was a joke.

Valentina sure didn't. ;)

11 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Kinda pretty tbh.

Jiminy Cricket, it even looks like a screaming guy! With four arms. Or maybe waving them that fast.

Wonder what it would look like with one more nitrogen group. I'm sure they tried, which led to even more screaming.

4 minutes ago, Nivee~ said:

Seriously? :D

Seriously. :mellow: It's in like literally everything and you're already addicted! Go on, just try and go a few days without it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Valentina sure didn't. ;)

..... what did you do to her now? *eyes revelations suspiciously*

15 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Jiminy Cricket, it even looks like a screaming guy! With four arms. Or maybe waving them that fast.

Wonder what it would look like with one more nitrogen group. I'm sure they tried, which led to even more screaming.

Kinda? I'd imagine its hard to add another considering you already have a number of rings, adding more is not going to be easy....

Or expanding the ring is another possibility, but again you run into the problem of how do you do that. The current synthesis (below) is just kinda sticking a bunch of nitrogens together (through some mechanism with the aldehydes? I think those are aldehydes, attacking the carbonyl and forming a bond there, and what not.... yeah....). It actually seems pretty easy compared to some of the other organic synthesis stuff I've seen.

220px-Synthesis_CL20.svg.png

Maybe there's someone more qualified than me in organic chemistry. who can talk about this more.

Dihydrogen monoxide, now theres something quite dangerous if inhaled.

Edited by qzgy
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, qzgy said:

..... what did you do to her now? *eyes revelations suspiciously*

This old scene. I did my homework. :D

Tho between googling "most reactive chemicals" and recently researching a plausible way to synthesize ANFO using medieval technology, I'm probably on a list somewhere.
Wouldn't be the first time...

8 minutes ago, qzgy said:

adding more is not going to be easy....

As I recall, that was the paper's general conclusion, attempts to do so ending with the rather simple chemical equation "BOOM."

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nivee~ said:
2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

dihydrogen monoxide, that stuff will kill you ded in so many ways.

Seriously? :D

Yeah, it even weakens the ground, it grinds on rocks...

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Nivee~ said:

"HAhaHA!!! It was not the Thiosulphate Pentahydrate, it was the Hexametaphosphate!!"
...
I looked up those terms in Google, but couldn't really find what was that funny...

The very fact that there still are some people who can confuse hexametaphosphate with thiosulpfate pentahydrate.

It's almost as funny as a third electron in the 's' electronic subshell. (Well, I guess. Otherwise they wouldn't be laughing.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

This old scene. I did my homework. :D

Tho between googling "most reactive chemicals" and recently researching a plausible way to synthesize ANFO using medieval technology, I'm probably on a list somewhere.
Wouldn't be the first time

Ohhh ok. That's a good scene. 

I mean as long they can create fuel oil through distillation, ammonium nitrate apparently occurs naturally. 

Also hmmm..... 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SuperMiiBrother said:

This wasn't funny.

Yesterday my dad died. ;.;

I logged on to the forum and saw this user communicating about a deeply sad and difficult moment in real life.

I am grateful that this forum is a safe enough place for this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought the stuff for delidding my 7700K, and an AIO.  I'll start printing the tool tomorrow.

This is either gonna be a fun adventure, or I'll be crying in the corner after I kill a $330 chip.

Either way it won't be running hot anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Bought the stuff for delidding my 7700K, and an AIO.  I'll start printing the tool tomorrow.

This is either gonna be a fun adventure, or I'll be crying in the corner after I kill a $330 chip.

Either way it won't be running hot anymore.

You are far braver than I. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not today, actually a few days ago, but I did some integration and found out the the area between a secant and a parabola, given some distance d, is always d3/6.

It's one of those equations where the steps result in massive terms that nicely cancel each other out, with just one term remaining at the end.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Came upon these, and had the most wonderful chuckle:

19 hours ago, gustavodag said:

That was a rhetorical question and you did a 50 line explanation.

17 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Let me introduce you to Snark.   That is his MO. 

Yeah, this is what I missed about here :D 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I found this: Amazing Android IDE! 

So, my Dad researches slurry flow, and there are a tons of equation he and his fellow researchers solve everyday. Mostly on spreadsheets or C programs. I made a handy calculator app for android for their cellphones so they don't have to boot up their PC every time. :) It has been surprisingly popular!

The fun stuff is that I don't need to code in Java or XML, I just need to place blocks: That's right, blocks of logic and Voila! I made an app! This is very intuitive. My programmer friend does not hold it in very high regard though, he thinks it's more of a crutch.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...