What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Crew Dragon undocked when i left home for school and splashed down when i arrived back home. Pretty cool.

I followed and watched nearly major every event of the DM1 live. Everything was right in time for me to be awake and aware when it was happending.

I have suddenly discovered that my smartphone calculator was set into "grads" instead of "degrees".
So, it was absolutely sure that the "right angle" consists of 100 pieces, not 90...
And I have no idea when it happened.

Was it causing any errors in my 3d fun?  No.
Why? Because

1) Wherever it's possible, instead of angles use two integer numbers and their ratios. Say, just take that Gemini-like capsule has dH/dD = 1.5, while TKS VA dH/dD = 1, SA of Soyuz =4 (irl ~4.05), other things 2 or 2.5. And I have no idea/don't care how much is it in angles.

2) Wherever it's possible, take a standard unit and round your sizes to it.
Say, after measuring the Kerbal model (i.e. model of Kerbal) I got ensured that a sitting Kerbal has the same size as a real sitting human (though, head is too big) if treat KSP's 2.5 m as a real-world ~3 m.
So, as I don't care about standing Kerbals, I took as a standard a unit = 0.174 m.
So, Almaz greater diameter (4.15 m) is 24 units, Almaz VA (2.788 m) is 16 units, Almaz VA cone's height is 7 units, Almaz VA top diameter is 9 units, Almaz VA tower is 4.5 units, Gemini and Soyuz (2.2 m) is 12 units, Mercury (1.75 m) is 10 units, Almaz shroud (4.35 m) = 25 units, thick envelopes like fuel tanks and large shrouds are 0.5 unit thick, thin envelopes are 0.25 unit thick, largest diameter I have met was 256 units.
From time to time I get amused how well various sizes match each other.

(And yes, this means that 3.75 KSP meters = 4.15 my meters, 2.5 KSP meters = 2.8 my meters, and I'm happy with it. I'm not a Kerbal.
Also because of this, I have to set rescaleFactor = 0.15625 everywhere in cfg, as in Wings3d I use my units, but it doesn't bother me.)

Edited by kerbiloid

Hehe. Once, on an excavation exercise, i asked a few first semester students to set up and stake off a rectangular areal of 10 by 10 meters and gave them (first semester) a theodolite of antediluvial/subfossil making with a gradian(gon) scale, a level with a water bubble and a measuring tape. Once in a lifetime every aspiring archaeologist should have used such things :-)

Two or three times they set up an irregular polygon and perforated the field with the stakes, but the ends would not meet because 90 degrees is not a right angle on a gon or gradian scale, though you clearly see the difference between 100 and 90 degrees in the field. Until someone realized that the scale went to 400 ...

They called me "mean" :-)

Edited by Green Baron

To get more acquainted with arrays in C I decided to make some basic sorting algorithms.

So far I coded two of them: Bubble and Gnome sort. They're the easiest ones to do, next on the list is either Insertion or Selection. Not sure which one is more difficult, it seems like Insertion is close to Gnome, but [0] seems slightly more difficult to manage.
I don't know how C treats negative indices...

52 minutes ago, Delay said:

To get more acquainted with arrays in C I decided to make some basic sorting algorithms.

So far I coded two of them: Bubble and Gnome sort. They're the easiest ones to do, next on the list is either Insertion or Selection. Not sure which one is more difficult, it seems like Insertion is close to Gnome, but [0] seems slightly more difficult to manage.
I don't know how C treats negative indices...

Cool thing (but i have never heard of gnome sort before).

Per default, C checks nothing and indexing is done with "int". So negative indices are just indices in C. You'll access an element in memory before the first array element, depending on data type. So, just like a[2] is equivalent to *(a + 2), a[-2] is equivalent to *(a-2). (x) If you know what you are doing, e.g. that memory address holds the data you want, there you go. If not, your program will run undefined.

Depending on the compiler you can switch on range checking during compile time or even runtime (i think). But is that sporty ? :-)

(x) Edit: if you ask yourself at that point "why ?" then pls. keep in mind that you can point anywhere in your data structures and step from there on forward or backward by simply incrementing or decrementing your pointers or indices. Which is extremely efficient, especially for your sorting algorithms ;-)

Edited by Green Baron

3 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

(but i have never heard of gnome sort before)

It's essentially a slightly dumber form of Insertion sort. You step backwards and forwards a lot.

Here's what I wrote (it's only the actual part that sorts, not the setup and swap(), which is a simple three-line function):

while(current_position < array_length){
      if(array[current_position] < array[current_position - 1]){
         swap(current_position);
         if(current_position != 1)
            current_position--;
      }
      else{
         current_position++;
      }

Started work on making a ship in a bottle

My hands are sore in ways I didn't know existed from holding and cutting tiny bits of wood.

Edited by qzgy

Just realized that a Netflix film team arrived on La Palma to film scenes for The Witcher series. Was not aware that a video game could trigger tv series.

I just hope i don't run into one of the monsters at night ... :cool:

https://eltime.es/isla-bonita/20723-dos-semanas-en-la-palma-con-henry-cavill-el-brujo-de-the-witcher-y-el-elenco-de-la-serie-de-netflix.html

Edited by Green Baron

55 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Was not aware that a video game could trigger tv series

It happened TWICE. And somehow the Netflix series may end up even worse than the Polish series - they managed to infuriate the fandom before they had even started casting.

And that's all can be said on the topic pursuant rule 2.2; have at me in the PMs.

10 hours ago, Green Baron said:

Was not aware that a video game could trigger tv series.

9 hours ago, DDE said:

And somehow the Netflix series may end up even worse than the Polish series - they managed to infuriate the fandom before they had even started casting.

Imho, the most/the only Polish miscast was Geralt. Others look good for me.

Edited by kerbiloid

23 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I can't believe I actually purchased a mechanical, RGB keyboard.

What have I become.

About a year and a half ago I bought one of them. The cheapest one on Gearbest with Num pad.

It's amazing. I keep it on green and lowest intensity. The backlit keys are perfectly visible in the dark.

I got used to it so much that I kept making typos at work where I had the cheapy rubber dome thing. So, it only being $45 (free shipping included) I had no reason not to buy another one, exactly the same for my work. Totally worth it.

I usually loath the RGB craze and dislike them on fans and PC cases, but having back light for keys is amazing.

I got this one:

https://www.gearbest.com/keyboards/pp_298472.html?wid=1433363#goodsDetail

I see the price has gone up XD.

I got this one.  I know Rosewill isn't top-shelf, but I have a number of their products and am rather happy with all of them.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201110

I'm not big on RGB either.  My case is black with red accents.  Fans are red only.  My AIO has RGB on the pump, but it's set to stay on red all the time.  My current keyboard is just backlit blue, but the keys are not wearing in a nice way.  Mouse is RGB, but it only changes color when you change the DPI setting.  Right now my normal DPI setting is on blue, but I can change the colors with the software, so it'll go to red now that it won't be next to a blue keyboard.

20190305205928.jpg

23 hours ago, Green Baron said:

Just realized that a Netflix film team arrived on La Palma to film scenes for The Witcher series. Was not aware that a video game could trigger tv series.

In the past, a game has triggered movies to be made... Check out this list on Wikipedia. Personally, Wing Commander wasn't that bad of a game or movie. One that isn't on this list is The Dig and while it was a good game, it made a crappy movie.

As far as video games turned into television shows, the list is quite impressive as well. Check out this list on Wikipedia.

44 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

In the past, a game has triggered movies to be made... Check out this list on Wikipedia. Personally, Wing Commander wasn't that bad of a game or movie. One that isn't on this list is The Dig and while it was a good game, it made a crappy movie.

Doom 2005 was a hell of a good movie, once you skip the clutter and go right into the good stuff. It only happens that the clutter has 1:23:24 and the movie itself just 5:36. :)

Spoiler

Not exactly Teletubbies. Viewer discretion is advised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khyo3qomuHg

Last night, I gave my wife one of these:

kvmt_avengers_infinity_war_gauntlet_ring

Today, on the drive in to work, there was much less traffic than usual.  There was almost no one at the gas station I stop at for breakfast.  I've been at work for 20 minutes, and I'm THE ONLY ONE HERE.

She says she didn't put it on and snap her fingers, but I've got some fine evidence she's lying....