What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Finally got better internet! 

We switched over to the NBN (National Broadband Network) and after five minutes I ran several speedtests, and the speed was between 40mbps to 55mbps. This is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than our old provider's speed (a measly 1.5mb/s. Yes, one point five megabytes a second. 1500 kilobytes). I can finally watch videos in 720 and 1080p! My games no longer take days to update! Steam installs and updates things at 5mb/s! THIS IS AWESOME!

1 hour ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Yes, one point five megabytes a second. 1500 kilobytes

Not quite.  It's actually megabits per second, which will give you a maximum download speed of 187.5 kilobytes per second (1500 / 8) as there are 8 bits in a byte.

This is why Steam's going at about 5 mega bytes per second, as a 40 to 55 megabits per second transfer speed with give you a maximum speed of 5 - 6.875 megabytes per second.

maxresdefault.jpg

On 5/1/2019 at 4:33 PM, Geonovast said:

Despite not thinking I would ever enjoy it, I decided to give The Orville a shot.

Three episodes in, and I gotta say I'm impressed.  I think it's actually a better Star Trek series than Discovery.

I love the Orville... A truly great show.

Right now, I am stuck in a category 4 cyclone.. Windspeed is about 200 km/h. I just saw a (dead?) puppy rolling around like tumbleweed because of the sheer force of the wind... :(

It's almost as bad as the most dangerous cyclone 20 years ago... I was not born then, but I have heard it ripped apart entire towns in its wake.

Edited by Nivee~

6 minutes ago, Nivee~ said:

Right now, I am stuck in a category 4 cyclone.. Windspeed is about 200 km/h. I just saw a (dead?) puppy rolling around like tumbleweed because of the sheer force of the wind... :(

It's almost as bad as the most dangerous cyclone 20 years ago... I was not born then, but I have heard it ripped apart entire towns in its wake.

:(Stay safe. I'll say a prayer for you all tonight.

14 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Tell mom the thing eats spiders and other creepy crawlers.

Try to avoid admitting that you'll probably need to breed those creepy crawlers yourself first.

The other day, my brother came up with the brilliant idea of buying some reptile. He changed his mind once he learned that he'd have to breed cockroaches.

Edited by Shpaget

It's an idea in the earliest stage, really.

I have no idea what reptile I'd even want. I don't have much space - or, at least, I wouldn't say so. I could probably make more room if I rearranged some things.

Edited by Delay

13 hours ago, Nivee~ said:

Yo... you still out there? Still above water? :unsure:

Got a bunch of folks ready to turn blue here...

20 hours ago, Nivee~ said:

I've seen some video clips on the news; that's quite the vicious storm. I hope you were safely hunkered down to ride it out. Hope all is as well as can be hoped for under the circumstances.

I just got home from an awesome organ performance - I japed half the audience by playing the first three notes of the 2001 theme! :D I now have a bunch of organists eager to hear more! Which means I should have an easy time getting access and gracing the interblag with the organ music of The Future!

More vehicle maintenance today. Took the wifemobile in for an alignment this week and they found that one of the adjustment bolts on the right rear suspension is seized. So I have that all apart in the garage this morning and the offending fastener is soaking in penetrating oil as we speak.

Last night, my mom hooked up a second monitor to her computer.  After what took me hilariously 5 or so minutes to explain to her that her computer had no way of knowing where the monitors physically were, and that she had to tell it where they were for the mouse to work correctly, she finally got it straightened out, although it will take her time to get used to it.

...fast forward to a few hours later, and she calls me, at 10pm.  While not terrifically late, that's into the period of time where an actual phone call (vs a text) indicates an emergency.

She wanted to know if she had to use the mint menu ("start menu") to shut down both screens separately.  It was all I could do to not burst out laughing and calmly try to explain to her, again, that she still only has one computer...

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

More vehicle maintenance today. Took the wifemobile in for an alignment this week and they found that one of the adjustment bolts on the right rear suspension is seized. So I have that all apart in the garage this morning and the offending fastener is soaking in penetrating oil as we speak.

c58f467963993cb927a46b255234da92bbac5978

2 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Last night, my mom hooked up a second monitor to her computer.  After what took me hilariously 5 or so minutes to explain to her that her computer had no way of knowing where the monitors physically were, and that she had to tell it where they were for the mouse to work correctly, she finally got it straightened out, although it will take her time to get used to it.

...fast forward to a few hours later, and she calls me, at 10pm.  While not terrifically late, that's into the period of time where an actual phone call (vs a text) indicates an emergency.

She wanted to know if she had to use the mint menu ("start menu") to shut down both screens separately.  It was all I could do to not burst out laughing and calmly try to explain to her, again, that she still only has one computer...

Are you sure your mom doesn't work in the Computer Science department at my college?

2 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

c58f467963993cb927a46b255234da92bbac5978

Flamethrower is sounding good right now. Torch is actually an option, although I'm trying to avoid that because the bolt is seized up inside of a rubber bushing, so heating it with a torch will be a little more destructive than I would like. So far I've tried pounding it out with a regular hammer and an air hammer and it isn't budging. What I really need is a six-foot long piece of steel bar stock, about an inch in diameter or so. Someone lays underneath and holds one end of the bar stock against the end of the bolt with the other end protruding out past the bumper. Someone else hits that end of the bar stock square with a 12-pound sledge. I have a sledge, now I just need some bar stock. And another body.

7 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Use the weight of the car.  Jack up the car, get the breaker bar on the nut tight up against the ground in a way so that lowering the car will force the nut to turn.

Not a bad idea. Except that the nut end of the bolt is completely rounded off. And it's in a little depression in the bracket for the lower arm that makes it really tough to get anything except a socket on it. I've thought about putting vise grips on the threaded end of the bolt and trying to rotate it from there, but if I screw up the threads then I have to remove the bolt, I have no option to reassemble the car and take it to a shop for assistance.

I'm thinking I'm going to try to selectively heat the bolt with a torch. Just hit the end of it with the flame to heat it up and expand it. Hopefully that will break up whatever corrosion is holding the bolt in place. Then as the bolt cools and contracts it will be broken free enough to be removed. I'm hoping I can do this without heating the bushing up too much to destroy the rubber. I guess we'll see.

Edited by TheSaint
Another idea

1 minute ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

@TheSaint

Sd283MX.png

Have a welder?

Oh, goodness, no. Oxy-acetelene will be way too hot. I want to heat the bolt up, not cut the entire assembly off the frame. I'm going to use just a plain old MAPP torch, same thing I use to solder copper pipe around the house. Clean it off with some brake cleaner first, make sure all of the penetrating oil is gone.