What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

13 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Yesterday my mum left for an extended weekend break in Spain with her friends. That means it's just me, my brother, and my dad.

And the only dinner my dad knows how to cook is pasta :sticktongue:

It’s easy to throw chicken strips/nuggets and some tater-tot/mexi-fries in the oven. Just set the timer and don’t forget about it. 

Or even just make hot dogs....

If you’re vegan, I suppose there’s instant oatmeal...

13 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Yesterday my mum left for an extended weekend break in Spain with her friends. That means it's just me, my brother, and my dad.

And the only dinner my dad knows how to cook is pasta :sticktongue:

It’s easy to throw chicken strips/nuggets and some tater-tot/mexi-fries in the oven. Just set the timer and don’t forget about it. 

Or even just make hot dogs....

If you’re vegan, I suppose there’s instant oatmeal...

But all I have to say for myself is: Hooray for Friday!!

On 6/16/2019 at 10:33 PM, Just Jim said:

Mockingbirds have built a nest right outside my bedroom window... this could get interesting

On 6/16/2019 at 11:26 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

Whatever you do, don’t kill them! :o

So, an update on the Mockingbirds. They have definitely established a nest, and the female has been sitting in it and guarding it for the last several days. I think I can safely assume there are eggs in it, but I can't tell for sure. I don't want to get right up to the window and freak her out, and you can't get near it outside. Mockingbirds are normally vicious and territorial, and now it's a female guarding her nest. Best not to get closer than a couple meters to the bush, or there's a very good chance of getting attacked. And trust me... I've seen mockingbirds attack ospreys and even eagles 5 times their size... they have no fear, and they will dive-bomb a human without hesitation.

On 6/19/2019 at 7:52 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

And then forwarding it to everyone

Oh, there are people for whom I made a custom "delete automatically" filter because they would forward every mail they considered funny to everybody else. Of course, they would cc everybody, not bcc, so my email address got around to people I didn't particularly want to have my address. I would usually ask once to stop including me into that type of spam, and then just automate the deletion.

Once, one of them asked me why I haven't replied to an email they had sent a few days before. They got offended when I told them that their emails go straight to the trashcan. They stayed on the filter list.

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

So, an update on the Mockingbirds. They have definitely established a nest, and the female has been sitting in it and guarding it for the last several days. I think I can safely assume there are eggs in it, but I can't tell for sure. I don't want to get right up to the window and freak her out, and you can't get near it outside. Mockingbirds are normally vicious and territorial, and now it's a female guarding her nest. Best not to get closer than a couple meters to the bush, or there's a very good chance of getting attacked. And trust me... I've seen mockingbirds attack ospreys and even eagles 5 times their size... they have no fear, and they will dive-bomb a human without hesitation.

This demands a live webcam! -_-

21 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

This demands a live webcam! -_-

Ain't that the truth!

My day has gone ok, still writing the fourth chapter for the rover saga, I posted the third chapter last night as I couldn't sleep. 

22 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Pleas write a mission report on this stuff, I want to hear more!!

On 6/23/2019 at 12:33 PM, Just Jim said:

So, an update on the Mockingbirds. They have definitely established a nest, and the female has been sitting in it and guarding it for the last several days. I think I can safely assume there are eggs in it,

Soon you’ll be surrounded by.... two thousand mockingbirds :cool:

So I was on my iPhone looking up VRBO (Vacation Rentals) for Nags Head, I didn't get to the listings but one thing struck me as really funny, on the VRBO website they have Average Seasonal temperatures everything looked normal until I got to The November-January statistic which said High of 212°F (100°C). It made me think "Welcome to Nag's Head the only place on Earth where you can swim in the Sea and be boiled alive as if you were in a cannibal's cauldron at the same time." :D  

Today I got two Am-241 sources. It's so small you can't even see it and therefore a pathetic source (<29.6 kBq), but it was like one dollar for piece so why not...

Funny times we live in when one can buy and get delivered home what is essentially fission waste. :D

2 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

Today I got two Am-241 sources. It's so small you can't even see it and therefore a pathetic source (<29.6 kBq), but it was like one dollar for piece so why not...

Funny times we live in when one can buy and get delivered home what is essentially fission waste. :D

Hmm, and what are you planning to do with your nuclear waste? Build an Illudium Q36 Explosive Space Modulator?

Autocomplete gave me the idea that one of our moderators should give themselves the title “Explosive Space Moderator”

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Hmm, and what are you planning to do with your nuclear waste? Build an Illudium Q36 Explosive Space Modulator?

Autocomplete gave me the idea that one of our moderators should give themselves the title “Explosive Space Moderator”

Basically just wanted to see if it's a scam, but it's not. It really is radioactive. I already had one older source.

I have mocking-babies!!!  Hard to tell for sure, but I think there's three of them. Must have hatched sometime last night. 

I got a couple pictures... they're not great, but considering my camera is constantly trying to focus on the window screen, and not beyond it... they're good enough.

The first is mom in the nest yesterday. I put in an arrow pointing out her little head. 

And the second I just took... it's fuzzy, bout you can see two little beaks, wide open waiting for mom or dad to bring them more food.

The parents are both in and out every 20 minutes or so doing food runs

This is mom
c9Z8Bhn.png

These are two of the kids
0pGlCe6.png

Edited by Just Jim

On 6/27/2019 at 5:25 PM, Just Jim said:

I have mocking-babies!!!  Hard to tell for sure, but I think there's three of them. Must have hatched sometime last night. 

I got a couple pictures... they're not great, but considering my camera is constantly trying to focus on the window screen, and not beyond it... they're good enough.

The first is mom in the nest yesterday. I put in an arrow pointing out her little head. 

And the second I just took... it's fuzzy, bout you can see two little beaks, wide open waiting for mom or dad to bring them more food.

The parents are both in and out every 20 minutes or so doing food runs

This is mom
c9Z8Bhn.png

These are two of the kids
0pGlCe6.png

Awwww. Cute. Needs a YT series and a mission report series to go along with it.

Update: am in SP. I just took my first real nap after about 27 hours of awakeness...No matter how nice it is, I cannot sleep upright in a chair. I have to be lying down somehow. :confused:

I saw the galactic core on my way down here, so that was cool. We were really high up, cruising at 11,887 m ASL. 

Wow, the sun's setting already OH RIGHT IT'S WINTER. And I'm quite literally upside down. What a deal.

Thought of an orbital station that is the size of the planet, kinda like an orbital ring. I bet it wouldn't work well, especially me, because I cannot circularize to save my life. Maybe someone else can try out on a new save,  so no one is lost that is important. 

1 hour ago, Mikenike said:

Thought of an orbital station that is the size of the planet, kinda like an orbital ring. I bet it wouldn't work well, especially me, because I cannot circularize to save my life. Maybe someone else can try out on a new save,  so no one is lost that is important. 

There have been several discussions about it, and it's basically been concluded that it's not really possible because of the physics bubble, and how the craft only exists as far as orbit is concerned off of its CoM.

On 6/29/2019 at 2:18 PM, Mikenike said:

Awwww. Cute. Needs a YT series and a mission report series to go along with it.

OK, Mocking-baby update. There are 3, and so far they look OK. the parents are coming and going feeding them at about 15-20 minute intervals, and move as a pair. 

The parents are also now hyper-aggressive, and have been tearing into the backyard cats. The backyard cats aren't actually ours. They live a few houses down the road from us, but love to play in our garden, and I have no objection. But if they get even close to that side of the house, they get attacked... and a mockingbird attack is awesome. Mockingbirds hiss really loud, and just keep swooping until the cat(s) flee. Seriously.... I found this video on YouTube. It's a mockingbird defending it's nest in Sarasota, which is just a couple hours south of here... 
This is what would happen to me if I tried to get close to the nest

Also, it stormed really bad Friday evening, and Mom rode the storm out in the nest with her wings out to keep the babies dry.

I am really looking forward to when they get a little bigger and start learning to fly

Edited by Just Jim

Almost got hit with a train today, the driver's face made me feel awful. Poor guy nearly liquided himself.

Luckily the natural human instinct of 'HOLY excrements GET OUT THE loveING WAY" overpowered my "just loveing die already" instinct. Plus, some poor excrements would've needed to scrape my brains off the train grill and I would've hated to be an inconvenience.

Welcome to my wonderful excrementsty life.

@Barzon Kerman Orright, mam. Oi did sleep.