What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

A little bird entered my room through the window early in the morning. And promptly flew face first into the blades of the ceiling fan. It got severed from its neck. The head collided with a wall, and the body crashed on my table. I asked my roomie for her sewing kit. When she asked why, I showed her the bird pieces and told her that this is an excellent chance to try taxidermy. She refused. I told her that maybe I could stitch its head back on and give it a proper burial. She refused and warned me that if I did not throw that birdpieces out of 'her' flat in the next 10 seconds I would be sleeping on the floor for the next 2 weeks.

I took the bird outside and buried it. And as soon as I turned my back I spied a cat rushing to the spot and scratching on the burial spot. That cat extracted the corpse and promptly ate it ((I thought cats don't feed on animals they have not hunted?). So much for a proper burial.

I dunno how I should put it. But 2 of my friends are about to leave work, because they found permanent government jobs. They seemed happy and hopeful for their future. I was happy too for their sake, but I was a little sad too. I know I am being selfish, but I can't help it. We talked about our time together, I bawled my eyes out like a man.

It's like The Office (US) Season 7 Finale. But instead of Michael leaving, it's Jim and Dwight who leave. Michael is still at Scranton. I am a bit sad, yes but very happy too I guess.

I think the shock of the news destroyed a couple of my brain cells because I tried to prank my senior. She entered my lab at the exact moment I was about to get out. So, she ended up smacking the door on my face, by mistake. I stumbled and then fell down on the floor, supposedly unconscious(it was an act). She was scared and tried to wake me up, I did not respond. (I was LOLing internally). And then she rolled me on my back and then tried doing CPR.

IT WAS PAINFUL. Her small hands were like freaking JACKHAMMERS! She was not using her palms to apply pressure, instead she was using the hard bone at the wrist. I tried to keep my screams quiet but finally I just HAD to 'wake up'. She did not stop however. Kept going at it for a full 5 seconds and then she asked me if I was okay. I said yes. She asked what day it is and before I could answer, she splashed my face with water. And then laughed for the next 10 minutes.

Yeah, she realized I was pranking her. Apparently my poker face broke for a second while I was laying on the floor and she noticed it.

The negative side of this prank debacle: My chest hurts.

The positive side of this prank debacle: I have a date for the evening.

So, I guess it was a mixed day for me.....

3 minutes ago, Selective Genius said:

The positive side of this prank debacle: I have a date for the evening.

Jeepers, just use flowers and a note next time. 

Good for you tho'. 

7 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Jeepers, just use flowers and a note next time. 

Good for you tho'. 

I was not intending to ask her out, I just wanted to scare her silly. And then as a last ditch effort to extract a draw from the jaws of defeat I asked her out for the evening hoping that she would get awkward and I wont feel that bitter about my humiliation. I never thought she would agree to it!

But I am not mad about the accidental date. I am pretty excited. Best case scenario: both of us will have fun. Worst case scenario: She will punch me in the face, lightly. its a win-win!

6 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Sounds like you almost had a date* right there if she hadn’t been pranking you back... and was better at CPR... :kiss:

Ah well, that would have been in a real bad taste if that happened. I mean it would not have been cool and the worst part is that this possibility did not come to my mind. I seriously dodged a bullet there.

6 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

the kind that gets HR involved and leads to a settlement...

Yeah,  HR is waiting for a chance to pounce on me. I recently had a disciplinary hearing because they suspected I stole some hydrogen peroxide from the inventory (I was planning to, I won't lie) and I was saved by the Head of my Department who vouched for me. It later turned out it was the janitor who took it and did not tell anyone. They only found about it when that stuff scorched that poor guy's forearm.

5 hours ago, Kerballing (Got Dunked On) said:

@Selective Genius Dude, are you like Michael from The Office or something? Because that's immediately what I thought of :P in a good way, though!

Sadly, no. But I try my best.

On 9/9/2019 at 2:36 AM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Our internet filtering system is going crazy so everything (Even the school website) is blocked, except this site 

^_^

Your school has its priorities set right

My watch broke during shooting today. So sad

Edited by Rover 6428

Today I spoke with a flat Earther. He seemed respectful, so I engaged with him to try to learn a bit about how these people work. I wondered what he had to say about experiences I've had which indicate Earth to be spherical.

I opened by complimenting his shirt, which had a map of the world printed on it and was legitimately a pretty cool shirt.

He had an unusual sense of perspective - he seemed to believe that we cannot see things that are far away. He said our perspective at sea level is about 3-5 miles (Hilariously, that is correct) but that it was because of some inherent inability to see further than that, not because of Earth's curved surface. He payed me no mind when I told him about the time I was at a beach in Rio de Janeiro, and could see a white buoy when standing but not when squatting. He didn't understand that you'd be able to see it at any altitude if the water wasn't curved. He said that if you could see a little ways, but the horizon obscured further things, that would indicate being on the surface of something like a marble (that is also correct???). I don't think it quite clicked for him that these were things I had seen and observed myself, not anyone telling me (his mode of Flat-Earth-ism seems to be that we are being lied to by NASA, etc. and "brainwashed to NOT investigate". Ironic that I've investigated this on my own and found him wrong.)

I also told him about the time I measured the distance to the Moon by parallax. He believes we cannot see craters and features on the Moon because it is too far away. I told him about the existence of telescopes and that they use simple optics to work. (Optics and windows are touchy subjects for people of this philosophy, I know.) I expected him to ask how we know the Moon is closer than the stars to be able to use parallax, to which I would have replied that I once watched the Moon pass in front of Aldebaran. However, he instead went a different direction (towards the Moon landing conversation) and asked how all those craters, supposedly made by meteor impacts which should come in from all sides, all end up perfectly circular. I don't know why this is, and I told him as much, but I will find more information later on that. (Pretty sure Scott Manley or such has a video on it.) He then asked something interesting.

He asked if I had ever seen one of these meteors impact the moon.

Yes I have.

I saw the meteor that hit the Moon during January's lunar eclipse and was recorded by many astrophotographers. Again, he payed little mind to my experience.

He wondered why pictures from Apollo missions show no crater formed by the lander exhaust (because craters don't form in that material from such forces? I dunno).

=====

It was a little insightful, nice to see him being more or less respectful and conversational instead of yelling at people like some of the Bible-waving people, but I still feel perplexed and a little sad afterwards.

I think his main issue was his idea of perspective. If he can understand that we can actually see distant objects if they are large enough, he might have a chance of understanding the geometry of the horizon at sea level, and also that the Moon is actually kind of large, allowing us to see it. (Has he ever seen the Moon? I honestly don't know. He's probably never been to the ocean.)

I asked for his name, and he was reluctant to give it to me (I suppose he was recording the entire thing, probably for his flat Earth Youtube channel) but he did just say I could call him by his channel name. I told him the reason I asked was so that when I am on Mars years from now, I will carve his name into a rock so that he can be remembered there for all eternity! (I also have the name of another space denialist I've encountered which I will carve as well.) The two of them will be honored for eternity in the very place they refuse to believe is possible.

======

Update: I've looked at his Youtube channel, but I haven't watched any videos. I'll maybe check out the one I'm probably going to be in. Although he was reluctant to give me his name, it's displayed all over his stuff... :/ 

I'm recovering from this experience by playing Space Engine with all the lights in my room off. Works every time.

Edited by cubinator

I’m not a flat-earther, will you carve my name into a rock anyways? :D

56 minutes ago, cubinator said:

He wondered why pictures from Apollo missions show no crater formed by the lander exhaust (because craters don't form in that material from such forces? I dunno).

IIRC, the exhaust plume just spreads out so much in a vacuum (seeing rockets rising on columnar plumes on earth really messes with your... perspective here) that there’s not nearly enough force left to dig out a crater. It’s also only close enough to interact with the surface for a scant few seconds, and then at very low throttle. I believe you can see crater-like rays emanating out from the LEM on some of the later “aerial” shots from Lunar Surveyor, but they’re also heavily smudged by footprints.