What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

14 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

Had some time to myself on Sunday, so I parked outside the fence of an air museum. See if you can name the aircraft. I always forget how absolutely huge these things are in person. Teaser pic, the rest spoilered below:

UwubodJl.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

hP18Ptql.jpg

dZ0U2YLl.jpg

ddVJ0sfl.jpg

8f18JoZl.jpg

6Et4PgZl.jpg

2e7OvmJl.jpg

dzhknhrl.jpg

8yiMcIEl.jpg

EDIT: High res here: https://imgur.com/a/12kS0m5

Which museum is that? I went to Pima with my wife and kids about seven years ago and had to quit after half a day because they were bored. (BORED! Can you imagine it!?) They fared better when we went to the National Museum of the Air Force back in 2018, but I still didn't get enough time there as I would have liked.

29 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

If it looks like they are growing just grass, it could be alfalfa, very common crop here in AZ and NM, grown to support cattle farming.

That would just make too much sense, though.

That group of buildings in the middle of those fields:

o5rLcxz.png

50 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Which museum is that? I went to Pima

https://pacificcoastairmuseum.org/

Pima looks amazing--Certainly much nicer than PCAM. I've chatted (online) with one of the volunteers at Pima--Former F-15 pilot and a fun dude. http://pwoodford.net/blog/?p=25353

---

@kerbiloid Go look at western Nebraska and Kansas, northern Texas, eastern Colorado, and the flatter parts of Idaho, Washington, and Oregon. Thousands of circles.

4 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

https://pacificcoastairmuseum.org/

Pima looks amazing--Certainly much nicer than PCAM. I've chatted (online) with one of the volunteers at Pima--Former F-15 pilot and a fun dude. http://pwoodford.net/blog/?p=25353

---

@kerbiloid Go look at western Nebraska and Kansas, northern Texas, eastern Colorado, and the flatter parts of Idaho, Washington, and Oregon. Thousands of circles.

Pima was cool, and I would like to go there again, but if I were to pick one or the other I would go to the NMUSAF in Dayton. Pima wins for sheer volume, they just have more stuff. But the Air Force museum wins for historicity. You're there standing next to (or inside!) aircraft that you've seen in photographs all your life. You're looking at the X-15 or the XB-70 or the Memphis Belle or Bockscar. You're standing in SAM 26000 on the spot where LBJ took the oath of office next to Jackie Kennedy in Dallas. Stuff like that.

Still haven't made it to the NASM in DC. We were planning a road trip there last summer but, yeah. Maybe next year.

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

The best part of growing up is being able to buy your own Legos.

QJX93u8.jpeg

This is waiting in my special hiding place out in the garage for Thing #2's birthday. Shhh, don't say anything. ;)

3 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

This is waiting in my special hiding place out in the garage for Thing #2's birthday. Shhh, don't say anything. ;)

I got my daughter her own Saturn V for Christmas... and it is, amazingly, still intact.

3 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I got my daughter her own Saturn V for Christmas... and it is, amazingly, still intact.

My son's Saturn V lives on top of the entertainment center in the living room, along with his ISS. When I bought the Space Shuttle kit my wife was all, "Where are we going to put this?"

42552fdef9ea93fa7a74660774599afc6cae82bd

Considering that I made my account less than 4 years ago and my rep is now north of 6000, the amount of time I spend here might be excessive.

It must be a combination of how nice this place is and how much I like to see meaningless numbers next to my name go up :sticktongue:

On 5/19/2021 at 12:48 PM, Geonovast said:

Nice! I like Legos and aerospace, but I prefer my Legos all ground based things (excluding planes, I would like one of those) such as construction equipment, trucks, buildings, etc.

Hmm, something interesting or funny that happened today, let's see... I can't think of anything, but I am watching something funny on my TV now. The Venture Brothers, one of my favorite shows. 

3 hours ago, Lewie said:

It was a pain in the butt, but I did it!

Hide contents

20210520231738_1.jpg?width=400&height=2220210520231807_1.jpg?width=400&height=22

It was really fun, but not something I would ever try to again...Had a great time, Vavle's stuff truly are masterpieces! 

Great work! That really would be easier if Alyx would just hold it for you in the car, wouldn't it? :D 

10 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Great work! That really would be easier if Alyx would just hold it for you in the car, wouldn't it? :D 

Thanks!

yeah, It’s one of those things that breaks the immersion. Course IRL...

hey Alyx can you hold this!

’sure’!

bam. Life would be sooooo much easier! (It took an embarrassingly large amount of reloading saves to get ‘ol Gnome Chompski to White Forest.

unfortunately, the way I played HL2 was through sharing (my dad played it years ago) so I enabled sharing on the device. (In this case, his pc which is ‘mine’ seeing as he hasn’t used it in YEARS) 

So you don’t get achievements for games with family sharing. When I played portal for the first time (on my dad’s account) I managed to get a ton of achievements. One of them (Heartbreaker) I got when I beat Portal. Now, when I beat in on my account I didn’t get it. Getting achievements with family sharing is very...spotty. You get some, but sometimes not. So I didn’t get little Rocket man...I’m a bit ticked about it, but I did get Gnome Chompski to the rocket so *shrugs*

On 5/18/2021 at 9:35 AM, TheSaint said:

Center pivot irrigation. Very common in the United States. If it looks like they are growing just grass, it could be alfalfa, very common crop here in AZ and NM, grown to support cattle farming.

Given that there is a dairy there in the middle, that seems likely. It's actually really close to here, sorta near the university's observatory, Capilla Peak (NW til you hit a mountain).

On the actually interesting side, we had a party in the neighborhood (as we have fairly often).

This weekend has been titled "Zen and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance". My kids have all graduated to 26" bikes now, and we bought them all new ones on Craigslist. And they all needed work. New tubes, new seats, chain lube, missing kickstand, broken gear shifter, broken brake lever, etc. My wife's bike needed a ton of work as well, so I just threw that into the mix. The punchline is: I don't ride, I just do all the work. :/

A few of the guys took our friend out shooting (the one who lost his wife in an accident a few weeks ago).

We offroaded a few hours into the middle of noplace and shot stuff up. One guy brought his suppressed SMG, which was a blast.

XW1u8Tx.jpg

(note cars at the bottom of the ravine. Road was... sketchy.

EDIT: Road was some inches wider than the jeep, and dropped off like that on both sides. We were kind of driving down a knife edge ridge.

Edited by tater

48 minutes ago, tater said:

A few of the guys took our friend out shooting (the one who lost his wife in an accident a few weeks ago).

We offroaded a few hours into the middle of noplace and shot stuff up. One guy brought his suppressed SMG, which was a blast.

XW1u8Tx.jpg

(note cars at the bottom of the ravine. Road was... sketchy.

EDIT: Road was some inches wider than the jeep, and dropped off like that on both sides. We were kind of driving down a knife edge ridge.

Aromatherapy. :)

That looks like a good spot to stretch out. Anyone bring anything long range?

8 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

That looks like a good spot to stretch out. Anyone bring anything long range?

2 ARs, both had red dots, but one had a scope so we played with that, too. :D

Local brewpub otw home. Good day for all, and my buddy needs some good days.