What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Just noticed.

5 hours ago, Stormpilot said:

Schools and other thing are shut down in my town due to landslides and flooding. A train has already de railed and other bad stuff so it’s quite hectic listening to the fire dept on the radio :( 

is in the 

What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

but not in the

Thread to discuss negative things

I just finished my last exam. This brings good news and bad news:

Good news: It’s vacation! :D 2 months without school, in the middle of the summer and Christmas! Hurray for the southern hemisphere! :D

Bad news: My mom wants me to get up at something like 6 o’ clock to go get my passport renewed tomorrow :mad:, and Friday I need to get up at 7 o’ clock because I apparently need to visit someone who will give me extra after school math :mad: (advanced math). My only consolation is that I won’t have to go to them in vacations. Then on the 2 of December they are going to organize the house, and I’m still fighting to stop them organizing my room, then it’s a gazillion other things. And we’re going to the sea, and a couple of towns. I’m barely going to have a vacation at all because of my stupid, annoying, and all around irritating parents, especially my mom.

Edited by Hyperspace Industries
Edit: Good news everyone! My dad needs to go with me for my passport, so I can sleep in tomorrow! Thank goodness for the constant travel of civil engineering.

On 10/15/2021 at 7:19 PM, DDE said:

And another. Glad to see intense Kirovposting and Flanjerposting are beginning to impact routine US military operations.

Hide contents

FBpVtDtVEAMUykL?format=jpg&name=large

FBpVsKpUcAIvzoD?format=jpg&name=medium

Remember when we thought those guys were cool?

And now the civvies are joining in. Look carefully at the livery at 2:07:

Now I believe it's actually an Aeroflot Boeing 737-800, so it's a double twist!

Spoiler

b737.png

I built a water electrolyzer and didn't blow myself up! :D Even better, it actually worked! Well, only twice, after that it started tripping the plugs (shorting), but that is good for a hardware store 15 amp mains connection, a floor washing bucket filled with salt water, and two metal soup cans as electrodes! :D 

Ddx0RIO.jpg

The cans after it started shorting and I replaced them with a stainless steel spatula and basket thingy. (Yes, this contraption is held together by duct tape.)

VE1c0X6.jpg

The latest variant, it works, for the single second until it shorts.

Tomorrow I aim to get saltpeter (Potassium Nitrate) from a butcher, if they are open. If I can get it, this electrolyzer is unnecessary because I can make rocket candy, instead of using hydrogen and oxygen gas as fuel for a rocket.

On 11/20/2021 at 4:38 PM, Hyperspace Industries said:

I built a water electrolyzer and didn't blow myself up! :D Even better, it actually worked! Well, only twice, after that it started tripping the plugs (shorting), but that is good for a hardware store 15 amp mains connection, a floor washing bucket filled with salt water, and two metal soup cans as electrodes! :D 

You're using mains to electrolyze? You will blow yourself up. AC will produce a mixture of gasses in a perfectly exploady ratio.

Also, exposed mains. You won't live long enough to blow yourself up.

Use DC to separate H2 and O2 in separate containers, and even then be careful.

Edited by Shpaget

1 hour ago, Shpaget said:

You're using mains to electrolyze? You will blow yourself up. AC will produce a mixture of gasses in a perfectly exploady ratio.

Also, exposed mains. You won't live long enough to blow yourself up.

Use DC to separate H2 and O2 in separate containers, and even then be careful.

I would if I could, I can't afford to get a (configurable) dc power supply (more than 1000 South African rand a pop), also, I previously used a scavenged mains connection from a vacuum cleaner (which wasn't limited to 15 amps) and it produced so much electricity that the electrolyzer (two or so years ago) went from room temperature to too-hot-to-touch in less than two seconds. As for the separate containers, that is something I am probably going to do, because H2 and ½O2 is much handier than HHO. This thing is mostly a proof of concept now.

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I made it to work today!

I'm just afraid to even assume what was the Season 2 about...

Well, the work part is because I couldn’t work most of last week because of highway closures due to floods and mudslides. The Season 2 part was about an historically inaccurate dark comedy about some famous Russians… Absolutely hilarious, and totally crude