What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Ok, MSFS players know we just got our new update 10. I just started updating and had a true d’oh moment. I saw the update info showing its size and space on disk. My mind slipped a few gears and tossed a few rods. I have 3/4 TB left on disk and my mind read THAT as the size of the update!! I just sat there for a solid 20 seconds before like the old beaters running trails my brain slammed into gear. I look half an inch to an inch left and see the update size. 16 or so gb. So laugh with me as you read this lol

Im flying to Atlanta right now in MSFS2020 after getting it updated and I really feel haunted by something from 12 years ago. My ex would have music play to wake us up when I visited her in Seattle where she lived. The song that would play was Concerning Hobbits. Ok so what does that have to do with a flight Im doing in a sim 12 years later? Well here are some waypoints plus my transition into Atlanta:

SHYRE FRDDO (pronounced Frodo) BLLBO (Bilbo) BGGNS (baggins) SMAWG (smaug) GNDLF (gandalf) 

Yup. Aviation is full of nerds. Very funny but haunting too lol

On our geography/history (they are merged into one subject here) class group: this happened:

Our teacher posted a link to Zirk Bergh’s Ek hou nie van skool nie. (I don’t like skool)

I proceeded to spot on spotify, and send the link to the youtube version of Zirk Bergh’s: Ek hou nie van werk nie. (I don’t like work) with the subtitle Wel, meneer gee skool, so: (well, sir teaches, so:)

Our teacher posted a handclap emoji in reply, which I think translates to well played. :)

Edited by Hyperspace Industries
Zirk, not Zink

Well I just had a heart attack inducing scare! As you guys know I fly MSFS2020. Well right now I have logged 97 flying hours as of last night. Tonight I want to fly from SEATAC to O’Hare, a flight of about 3.5 hours. I make my flight plan, save it into the sim into my aircraft. I load the sim up and it acts like its a fresh install!!!!! As you may also know I fly a pair of 737s (700 & 800 variants) that are study level (as real as possible, 95% of the switches and systems work as if they are the real thing) which means a ton of bindings. When I loaded in everything was gone. I closed to desktop and rebooted the sim. This time everything was back to normal. I just want to fly and not have a heart attack or stroke because the kraken wanted to migrate lol. Welp off to ohare!

Edited by AlamoVampire

Siren tests in the entire city today. It lasted from 11:00, to 11:10 (as im writing this). 

The noises are well, quite scary and I'm still wondering how they were produced. The alarms are 2. The second one sounds on the 2nd of June as well, to honour a national hero that died on that day, 1876.

Theres also a voice to alert it, heres a translated transcript I, well, made:

ATTENTION - x3 - THERE IS - A TECHNICAL - TEST - x2

YOU WILL HEAR - THE NATIONAL - SIGNAL - FOR ALERT x2

*Siren 1*

YOU WILL HEAR - THE NATIONAL SIGN - FOR END - OF ALERT x2

*Siren 2*

END - OF TECHNICAL - TEST x2

Check out a video someone made 10 years ago, right here:

https://youtu.be/CTJ-tIObk0k

Edited by Aerodynamic Kerbal

5 hours ago, Aerodynamic Kerbal said:

Siren tests in the entire city today

They can be quite concerning when not expected; especially when in a place or time when things might seem fraught!

I live in Tornado-Country; we get the sirens tested every Tuesday at Noon.  If I hear it during a storm, we know what's up, head down to the basement and turn on the TV.  If I hear it in the middle of the week - I inevitably look at my watch, just to be sure - then go about my business.

Imagine my consternation a few years ago (around the time of the Hawaii false-alarm) my local siren started going off in the middle of the night, and never stopped (clear skies).  After a long while we learned that local flooding had set off the alarm and crews could not get to the siren to turn it off!  Still, at the time there were 'possible alternative explanations' that included hostile action - and my intrepid son was all concerned.

So be glad you got a warning that it was a 'Technical Test'!

I was doing a flight to Baltimore/Washington International tonight.  Weather was rough to say the least. Very low ceiling with heavy heavy rain. I was in a 737-700, and was landing runway 28. My heading was 285. Visibility was non existent until I was below 500 feet. Now, I was doing 135 kias with a ground speed of 159-165 knots, this was sketchy, it was made worse by the fact winds were 083 at 24 gusting 31. I was finding it challenging as my aircraft could not or would not capture glide slope (everything was set correctly per charts/fmc) and had to fly it manually. I was crabbing 20 to 30° off centerline with a 24 knot tail wind in heavy rain. Landed safely and got to the gate safe. Fun times!

On 10/3/2022 at 4:48 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

They can be quite concerning when not expected; especially when in a place or time when things might seem fraught!

My dad told me about it in the morning, I'm pretty sure they state it in the internet on the day before testing 

Edited by Aerodynamic Kerbal

Every so often you find something on youtube that just puts your jaw on the floor. I have seen this guys stuff before and always, ALWAYS it impresses me. As much as I would love to have this guy as a neighbor, he would prevent me from doing holiday decorations outside. You just cannot compete with god tier skills like this!

-1 (already badly worn) NASA T-shirt. Snagged it on the door handle, tore right through.

But trying to photo the big white cat that's strayed into our driveway was a noble cause.

Something big and white (but rather cute) is going to interlope the space way and mess some NASA plans.

Did this cat have any signs, marks?
Was it trying to tell something?

Cats don't like zero-G.
But they are good in soft landings.

So, something not orbital, but related to the ground services.

Or some official event.

Not a donkey, not an elephant, not a bear, not a bull, not an eagle (regardless of head number). So, unlikely political or economical.
Not a polar fox, this also sounds optimistically.

Edited by kerbiloid

Just discovered that hammering the tinplate seals runs much better in the rhythm of the Terminator 1 and 2 main theme.
Or more accurately, 3 fragments of it.

Initial cautious seeking and hitting: (3-3. 3-3. 1... 3-3-1.1) x 2

Beginning of continous hits: 2-1-2... 2-1-2...

Continuous hits: 2-1-2.1.1... 2-1-2.1.1...2-1-2.1.1...

@Nuke should appreciate this.

Backstory: my son decided he wanted a new 144hz gaming monitor, saved up his money and bought new 24" 1080p to replace the hand-me-down one I'd given him.  Not to be outdone, I saved up my money and bought a 32" 144hz 4k monitor for myself.

My daughter, who was saving her money to redo her room, was playing on her brother's computer and leaning back in her chair.  He told her not to do it, and like any sister would, she ignored him.  Lost her balance, grabbed the desk and... down came the new monitor.  Boop.  There went the money she was saving (Best Buy had one in stock). 

Not to be outdone, two nights later I fell back in my own chair, grabbed the desk... and yep.

(Thankfully I 'caught' it, bruising the tops of both hands, and while it wasn't 'ok' I was able to snap things back together.  Monitor still works; but I'm not gonna tease my daughter over her mistake!)