What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

14 minutes ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

I don't know if it really belongs in this thread, but I discovered Icelandair is changing its livery. It's alright. I don't really have strong feelings about it either way, but I don't hate it. It does sort of remind me of Ryanair's, though.

Web_image-Icekandair_max-liveri_Yellow2_

Heres hoping they dont land like Ryanair!

2nd post on a new page! Greased the landing!

Edited by AlamoVampire

As some of you may or may not know, (pinging @Gargamel ), earlier in the year I got my little CNC milling machine kit, and I'm finally approaching the "done assembling this damn thing" phase. Along the way I had quite a few issues aligning everything; namely, the problem I had was that the axes (plural of axis) were not square. Finally, the other day I milled a mold for casting silicone (a gasket type thing for the tool setter, so the coolant doesn't get in) and yesterday I put it in the big boy mill we have at work to check the squareness. I'm happy to report that X and Y are within 0,005 mm over 40 mm, which is a whole lot better than 2 mm over 200 mm I started with. Dimensionally, I'm happy too, just 0,04 mm oversize, something a spring pass should take care of. There perhaps is just a little bit of room for better tramming, but since there is no mechanism to do it properly (it relies on smacking the thing with a hammer) I'm not too keen on doing more of that since I'm just as likely to just push it further out of tram.

As for machining capabilities, it cuts aluminium just fine, as in when using 6 mm or smaller Chinese carbide end mills I'm limited by the tool, not the machine. I do get a bit of chatter on heavy cuts with 8 mm roughing mill, but the point is it actually mills as opposed to grinds the material like the usual desktop "milling machines" with a Dremel tool.

Next up, I need to make a coolant distribution block. The single nozzle it currently has is not enough to properly wash away the chips and gets in the way anyway. Weekend project, I hope.

8 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

2 tenths over 16” is dang good.   Congrats!  

Thanks, but it's 2 tenths over 1,6''. Not rocket surgery level of dang good, but still dang good for a hobby machine. If I ever need a part that is both large and accurate I may need to outsource it, but that's the story with any machine you end up buying. There is always a limit.

I'm yet to try milling steel. I've seen videos of others doing it and getting good results, so it seems possible, but it's a high speed spindle (24 000 rpm) so not really optimized for torque at lower rpms steel calls for.  We'll see.

In the meantime, I may have couple of projects lined up, so just maybe I might recoup a fraction of the cost of it.

26 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

Thanks, but it's 2 tenths over 1,6''. Not rocket surgery level of dang good, but still dang good for a hobby machine. If I ever need a part that is both large and accurate I may need to outsource it, but that's the story with any machine you end up buying. There is always a limit.

I'm yet to try milling steel. I've seen videos of others doing it and getting good results, so it seems possible, but it's a high speed spindle (24 000 rpm) so not really optimized for torque at lower rpms steel calls for.  We'll see.

In the meantime, I may have couple of projects lined up, so just maybe I might recoup a fraction of the cost of it.

Oh!  I read it as 400mm!   Still not too shabby!

Im being bored and just going down random rabbit holes on youtube when i tripped over a rather unique video. The video is a mashup on Pachabels Canon in D and various songs. The mashup starts with a pure Canon in D then starts switching songs in the Treble Clef while the Bass Clef keeps going with Canon in D. Admittedly some songs link in better but overall Id say this works oddly well. So, I present to you my find:

I wonder if you guys will find it as fascinating as i did?

btw for the non musically inclined Treble Clef is the top set of lines of music with Bass Clef being the bottom set of lines of each set of musical note sets :)

Edited by AlamoVampire

Recently started a new job with a multi billion dollar international company that happens to start with a K.   

Their HR publicist or whatever must be a a KSP player cause I am currently having to navigate the “Employee Komunity Portal” to set up benefits.    I am so angry right now.  

4 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Kellogg? Koenig? Hmm, which one is more likely to need a machinist…

You wouldn't believe the condition the cornflakes are in before I get to them.   You'd shatter your teeth if you tried them raw. 

11 hours ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

Saw two satellites fly over my house today. Was really cool. Glad I went on a walk then.  

Had Moscow's municipal Mi-26 buzz my home this morning.

Red copter red copter red copter

72498741Efi.jpg