What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Got the pickup to the gas station as the price on the sign just started to tick upwards. This was the one of the last stations in town that hadn’t jacked the price yet; the price difference had been going on for a few hours. When I started the pump it was still $1.329/L,, and when I finished it reset to $1.529, saving me $15 on gas. 

When that’s the highlight of your day, you know you’re getting old. Then again, at the moment I’m waiting for my kids’ hockey game to start, so there may be more excitement yet!

E:, nope, that was it, beating a 20c/L price hike was our highlight of the night...

Edited by StrandedonEarth

I was out driving around earlier tonight and witnessed some instant karma! I drove past a fast food joint and a car pulled out. The driver failed to turn on their headlights. The drove like this 3-4 blocks when they drove past the most perfectly placed sheriffs deputy. I spotted the deputy long before this driver and began slowing. I think I surprised the deputy because I was already stopping to let them out before they lit up as they actually stared at me for a few seconds before going after the lightless driver. 

This is one reason the newer cars out there bug me. In the older days the numbers and stuff on your dash could be seen in daylight with out needing to be backlit and only lit up at night AFTER turning on the headlights. Now a cars dash is either an lcd screen or the dials require backlit illumination and are lit all the time. This is yet another feature cars simply do not need as it is yet another disconnect for the driver. Blind spot indicators, self parking, lane departure assist, autopilot, full self driving and dashboards that are lit regardless of headlights being on or off. Modern cars are making us worse and more dangerous behind the wheel. Sorry to go from instant karma to a mini rant…

Edited by AlamoVampire

<sobs uncontrollably> im so frustrated by my current flight. 737-700 from my city to LAX. A sector ive flown before. Today just setting it up has nearly broken me. I used simbrief and as part of my flight plan it gives a cost index, which is how hard the plan needs to work. I was given a CI of 70 then 71. This CI broke my autopilot and I had no clue it was the CI. I just knew my LEGS page was missing data, my route was broken and my VNAV refused to turn on. Seems a CI that high on this flight is impossible. I set to CI 40 and so far things seem to be working. Will update once i take off and reach cruise if my VNAV works.

just took off. VNAV, LNAV, CMD are all active and on…. I really just want to scream… why is the 737-700 this cranky?

ok fun edit this time! Im cruising at .804 mach at FL380 and ATC calls out a traffic alert. Had an aircraft about 3 miles out at FL390 to my 10oclock. I hear the ATC give that aircraft the alert about me. I hear its call sign and go check flight radar (i fly with live weather and live traffic when not on VATSIM, if on VATSIM only live weather) and i nearly pee myself laughing when i see it on flight radar. That aircraft is headed to my city in real life. Thats an actual first in MSFS for me! To get alerted in a SIM about a real aircraft headed to my city. Sure ive heard the atc clear real flights to land and take off in the sim at my cities airport or at other airports but to pass one in flight headed to my city is a first! Whee

Edited by AlamoVampire

22 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Yall I just moved 400k in product on 30% margins in the last month and Im sweating a check engine light. Marx was right. 

you would have had bigger problems with a soviet designed car.  it would have just failed to turn over (or start smoking/catch on fire) giving no indication that something was wrong,

Edited by Nuke

6 minutes ago, Nuke said:

you would have had bigger problems with a soviet designed car.  it would have just failed to turn over (or start smoking/catch on fire) giving no indication that something was wrong,

Oh just on that observation about labor and whatnot. I don’t actually mess with the prescriptions. 

My father is flying out to reno thru vegas, im racing his flight, duplicating it via MSFS, i think im hoing to land before him tbh, flight trackers showed him still at the gate as i was already passing 10,000 (i departed at the time his was slated, but he just informed me, im about 20 min ahead as they had a delay boarding)

this may be a tighter race than i thought… my flight plan has me on a different flight path than his… 

Only matches between my sim and his flight are departure runway, the SID or standard instrument departure, transition point into vegas (HAHAA yup thats a real transition), the approach RKSTR3 and (i think if my read on it is right) runway 26L… our predicted flight times:

me: 2hr42min

real world: 2hr40min…

my flight plan has me cruising at FL360 where the real flight is filed for FL340… should be interesting

Im just under 100nm from the state boarder and am watching his flight and comparing to my sim. We are trading speed but are about 3 knots +- of each other, as i type im at 407kts across the ground and his flights doing 408kts across the ground. Now i think its a matter of which routes more efficient and are real world controllers more efficient than AI (or me if the sim bugs the atc)… ill update again after i land.

I landed ahead of his flight. 2h39min43sec flight time. As of this edit his flight is at 6950 feet descending towards 26L.

Edited by AlamoVampire

Sort of from yesterday (technically Wed night til very early Thursday am).

I originally had a very early flight out of Laguardia airport (NYC). Elected not to try and get there at 5am from CT, so I took the train into the city, and stayed at a hotel near Grand Central. Ended up moving my flight to later in the morning to NOT fly through Chicago, opting for Dallas to avoid weather. Got into the city, dunno, 8? Checked in, walked over to 5th ave, sent some pics of the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center to the fam, wandered around just to walk, then went back to hotel. Pub at hotel was open, but kitchen was closed. Had a meh drink, and then I got a group text from ABQ about a cocktail party next Tuesday. I lamented my current cocktail, and said what I'd really like to do is head down to Death & Co in the Village and get a proper craft cocktail, but I was by myself, and sorta lacked the will. Long story short they said who but me in our group could accomplish this quest... so I ubered down there, managed to get a seat at the tiny bar chatted with people around me, talked to the bartenders, had some really novel drinks, some decent conversations, and was there til after 1am. Fun night other than the return uber driver dropping me off 13 blocks too far north, but I suppose the extra walk down Lexington did me good.

Not that interesting, but I made a pretty good landing in FSX (Not on centerline or touchdown zone though, so not actually that good, but at least it's pretty smooth. I did it with mouse yoke and keyboard throttle though, so give me a break)

Totally not just trying to promote my channel...

On 12/18/2022 at 1:32 PM, Admiral Fluffy said:

Its my birthday today!

I'm a little late, but happy birthday, Alles Gute zum Geburtstag, und hyvää syntymäpäivää!! 

Edited by Ben J. Kerman

Yesterday, I had an experience with one of the lesser-mentioned victims of COVID.

I had to introduce a junior colleague to her own coworkers, including the one she'd been working with on a daily basis for the last two months - because I have a picture on my corporate Skype, and the other gal doesn't. Worse yet, this was my second time meeting either of the two in person.

26 minutes ago, DDE said:

I had to introduce a junior colleague to her own coworkers, including the one she'd been working with on a daily basis for the last two months - because I have a picture on my corporate Skype, and the other gal doesn't. Worse yet, this was my second time meeting either of the two in person.

Weren't you previously mating two NPC in Skyrim or Fallout.

7 hours ago, DDE said:

Yesterday, I had an experience with one of the lesser-mentioned victims of COVID.

I used to get this all the time at the college. I would walk into the office of someone I had worked with for years via email and phone, and they would look me straight in the eye and say, "Hi, how can I help you today?" Because they had no idea what I looked like in person. Sometimes when I would speak, if I didn't immediately introduce myself, I would get, "You sound really familiar. Have we met?"