What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

11 hours ago, Geonovast said:

So we compromised and bought a 12 pound one instead.  For 3 people.  One of whom can't eat too much pork at once and also a teenager who is too good for leftovers.

So that leaves my diet for the forseeable future to be:

Breakfast: Ham
Lunch: Ham
Dinner: Ham
Late-night snack: Ham

The real healthy

Spoiler

paleolithic diet,

QFF7.pngwp-1513297062438.png

rather than that hippy junk from wiki, with roots and vegs.

220px-Paleo_food.jpg

11 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I'm about to enlist the cats to help out with this.

They will.

Spoiler

86e45461a7f2875e3c7eaac68daae9bb.jpg

Just cook it properly, with the natural GMO-free fire.

Spoiler

Quest-Production-2.jpg

10 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

The real healthy

Hide contents

paleolithic diet,

QFF7.pngwp-1513297062438.png

rather than that hippy junk from wiki, with roots and vegs.

220px-Paleo_food.jpg

They will.

Reveal hidden contents

86e45461a7f2875e3c7eaac68daae9bb.jpg

Just cook it properly, with the natural GMO-free fire.

Hide contents

Quest-Production-2.jpg

Oh, for Pete's sake. Live a little.

I'm going to go pick off an end piece now. Just because. :)

Speaking of food, my wife and I decided this year we'd do non-traditional dinners for all "dinner" holidays. We decided this at Christmas so "this year" is slightly askew, but we did lasagna for Christmas and just did Chili for Easter. We had extra soft taco shells from a previous dinner so the next day (Yesterday, now) we had chili tacos for lunch and OMG they were awesome.

It's not that interesting, but I looked at my old globe for a while and figured out it is probably from around 1960-ish (I hadn't taken a good look at it before, only really noticing that the USSR was shown.) I did find it strange that it showed Germany and Korea united, and shows Taiwan ("Formosa" on the globe, also a little weird considering the time period) as part of China on a (probably) post-1949 globe. I understand why Taiwan might be shown as part of the PRC, but not why Germany and Korea are labeled as one. Also Romania was called Rumania. 

My prediction of 1960 is mostly based on Hawaii being a state (joined in 1959) and the Belgian Congo existing (1908-1960, renamed to DRC in 1964). It also has to be before 1962 because Jamaica is still shown as a British colony, and before '64 because Rhodesia is still around. Problems with this prediction are that French Indochina is on the globe, but it's only labeled as Indo-China, and British Malaya is on the map, but I think it's still around 1960.

EDIT: I forgot Hawaii was annexed by the US long before 1959, so that doesn't help me much. At least things are making a bit more sense now.

Edited by Ben J. Kerman

Watched Emesis Blue. Really good, extremely impressive movie. It's really amazing that the creators but managed to make it so cinematic and frightening despite it being based on the funny "I will send my condolences to your kangaroo wife" video game.

I think I'll rewatch it late one of these nights for maximum scare factor.

On 4/11/2023 at 1:28 PM, Ben J. Kerman said:

It's not that interesting, but I looked at my old globe for a while and figured out it is probably from around 1960-ish (I hadn't taken a good look at it before, only really noticing that the USSR was shown.) I did find it strange that it showed Germany and Korea united, and shows Taiwan ("Formosa" on the globe, also a little weird considering the time period) as part of China on a (probably) post-1949 globe. I understand why Taiwan might be shown as part of the PRC, but not why Germany and Korea are labeled as one. Also Romania was called Rumania. 

My prediction of 1960 is mostly based on Hawaii being a state (joined in 1959) and the Belgian Congo existing (1908-1960, renamed to DRC in 1964). It also has to be before 1962 because Jamaica is still shown as a British colony, and before '64 because Rhodesia is still around. Problems with this prediction are that French Indochina is on the globe, but it's only labeled as Indo-China, and British Malaya is on the map, but I think it's still around 1960.

EDIT: I forgot Hawaii was annexed by the US long before 1959, so that doesn't help me much. At least things are making a bit more sense now.

Sounds like late 40s, prior to the Cold War heating up and when Germany and Korea were just plain occupations. Vietnam became a thing in 1954, so it can’t be from after then.

It could even be pre-World War II.

On 4/11/2023 at 11:28 PM, Ben J. Kerman said:

I did find it strange that it showed Germany and Korea united, and shows Taiwan ("Formosa" on the globe, also a little weird considering the time period) as part of China on a (probably) post-1949 globe. I understand why Taiwan might be shown as part of the PRC, but not why Germany and Korea are labeled as one.

DDR (East Germany) was recognized by USSR and other Warsaw Pact countries since 1949. 
Its state institutions (like the central bank, army, high council, etc.) were being developed till 1960.

Korea was always pictured as a single state, separated with demarcation line rather than state border.
As welll, both of them think so, too, just don't agree which half is separatists.

P.S.
Why "demarCation line", when "marK", idk.

I’m a little late to the spiral ham party, but dayum those are good. We also had one for Easter, along with a couple days of leftovers. The dog and cat were tangled in my feet every time the ham came out. The bone has been simmered down and the yellow peas are soaked; just need to make the pea soup now…

Slightly more than a month ago someone at work mentioned something about a space-themed outing at the VDNKh.

Naturally, your truly turned this from an offhand comment into a plan. Attendance was terrible, a mere four people besides me, owing to several concurrent ***********s at the office, and I may have to work on a Sunday, but it was worth it.

0513c90e897d40a27d69adacb3fa2086.jpg

Was repeatedly approached by staff for unauthorized tour guide work and was eventually kicked out due to the museum closing at 21:45.

There is a Privately Owned T90A in Louisiana - headed for Texas?

AA19Sdna.img?w=534&h=267&m=6

A captured Russian tank from the war in Ukraine mysteriously showed up at a truck stop in Louisiana, report says (msn.com)

Spokespeople from two nearby military bases — one in Fort Polk, which is around 60 miles north, and one in New Boston, Texas, which is about 240 miles north of the truck stop — said it did not immediately appear the tank was headed there. 

"My opinion is this tank is probably owned by a private citizen or company," the Fort Polk spokesperson told The War Zone. "It doesn't seem likely the military would leave something like that unattended."

4 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

There is a Privately Owned T90A in Louisiana - headed for Texas?

A captured Russian tank from the war in Ukraine mysteriously showed up at a truck stop in Louisiana, report says (msn.com)

Spokespeople from two nearby military bases — one in Fort Polk, which is around 60 miles north, and one in New Boston, Texas, which is about 240 miles north of the truck stop — said it did not immediately appear the tank was headed there. 

"My opinion is this tank is probably owned by a private citizen or company," the Fort Polk spokesperson told The War Zone. "It doesn't seem likely the military would leave something like that unattended."

5dfco5.jpg

7 hours ago, DDE said:

Was repeatedly approached by staff for unauthorized tour guide work and was eventually kicked out due to the museum closing at 21:45.

Yeah, gonna need some tour guiding here… why all the square holes on the N-1 model? What’re the two big glazed spheres? Is that real Almaz hardware or another model? Same for VA. 

7 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Ok, resident Russian speakers, once you stop giggling, what’s “NAECTPO” mean?

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I may only have preschool level Russian skills but I can confirm there is no letter “N” in the Russian alphabet, therefore this must be an English inscription.

4 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

What’re the two big glazed spheres?

+1

Is that real Almaz hardware or another model?

Uncrewed modification, Almaz-T.
Flew twice. This one was prepared but cancelled.

Same for VA. 

Real, but without peripherals at bottom, and with peripherals hidden inside the LES tower adaptor on top.

MAESTRO. Master in Ukrainian Italian. 

Edited by kerbiloid

why all the square holes on the N-1 model?

Wind tunnel model. One of the few genuine articles of historical tech in there besides Vostok-1.

What’re the two big glazed spheres?

There's about six of them, and they're used for enclosed exhibits. The one on the right (barely) contains a Lunokhod going down the ramp of its descent platform.

It's already five months passed since this exact instance of the T-90A (adopted in 2005, so a 18 years old model) was shown in details and explanations, inside and outside, but the joy of having an outdated combat tank is still overfilling the hearts of American audience.

A Russian T-90A tank was spotted at a Louisiana truck this week on its way to the US Army Aberdeen Test Center (ATC) in Maryland, a weapons testing center
    A shipping label shows that the tank was sent by a group called the 'multinational assessment field team' from Gdynia, Poland, to Beaumont, Texas
    It is believed the tank might be used for destructive testing or to familiarize U.S.  troops with foreign equipment 

Maybe US would better watch youtubes instead of feeding such crowd of freeloaders?

7 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

It's already five months passed since this exact instance of the T-90A (adopted in 2005, so a 18 years old model) was shown in details and explanations, inside and outside, but the joy of having an outdated combat tank is still overfilling the hearts of American audience.

Hey, maybe they want a lawn decoration.

Given that it may be all it's good for, since it's reportedly one of the 27th Brigade's tanks captured in September '22, and the whole 1st Guards Army notoriously turned out to be in a state of atrocious disrepair. The countryside all around Izyum was dotted with overfilled open-air vehicle salvage depots. And if they've sold this one, AFU probably didn't manage to fix it up, which is... unusual. T-72/T-90 are relatively familiar to them, unlike BMP-3s that they're having problems repairing due to an outright weird design.

7 minutes ago, DDE said:

And if they've sold this one, AFU probably didn't manage to fix it up, which is... unusual. T-72/T-90 are relatively familiar to them,

They showed, it lacks silica gel in some tools, maybe that's the reason. They didn't have silica gel to replace.

P.S.
After thinking a little... If they had repaired it, they would be just told: "Very well, now fight with it".

While by selling it unrepaired, as a perspective Russky tank, they can get some profit and a time before fighting in it.

P.P.S.
But also, the silica gel matters, too.