Jump to content

What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?


Recommended Posts

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:10 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

In Algebra class we've been working on Exponential Growth for a few days now. One of the word problems today involved someone feeding pigeons. 10 pigeons come at first but every minute the number triples. One thing we had to find out was how many pigeons would come after four minutes. It turned out to be....2,430. 

But it gets worse. 

By 10 minutes there's over half a million of these rat-birds flocking for food. And then I got the bright idea to see how many would come after and hour. 

424 OCTILLION.

Yes, you heard me right. 424 octillion. This is not only catastrophic for the surface of Earth but there's another even more horrifying outcome! Considering the average mass of a pigeon to be 0.907 kilograms we would be looking at a total population mass of 384 octillion kilograms. That's over 64,000 times the mass of Earth! This is massive enough for the pigeons to sustain NUCLEAR FUSION and become a RED DWARF STAR!!! Earth and all its 7.5 billion people would be killed in a fraction of a second as the pigeons collapse into a thermonuclear ball of plasma!!!!!

But believe it or not, things get ever. More. Horrifying....

Heh. That reminds me of the infamous "Party Balloon" incident.

For science class we had to do a poster showing one million of something. I chose to do party balloons. So, I do ten, get buoyancy, price, and cube side length values, and then go up by a factor of ten. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I got my one million poster done early. That year I had a free period, so I went back to google and did a billion balloons. Then a trillion. Quadrillion. Quintillion. Five quintillion or so. Eventually, I got enough, that if put in a cube it would reach up to space. Then I decided to calculate how long the resulting strand would be if you placed them end to end. I got an absurdly big number of miles. So, I googled "Convert Miles to Astronomical units." still a huge number. What's bigger than a mile? Hmm... what about light years? Oh, it can't be that many, maybe 0.5 at the gre- ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY LIGHT YEARS!?!?!?!?!?!?

I'm pretty sure half the school heard my scream.

Also, I wrote a song about entitled "170 light years of party balloons."

(Darn, now "99 Red Balloons" is stuck in my head!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

(Darn, now "99 Red Balloons" is stuck in my head!)

You just make me discover there was that English version of the song. As a kid they were always playing the original German version.

How not to forget those beautiful lyrics, kind of "Neinenarh arch lurftballons such yhrem Wag zoom Horizonte" and Nena voice... so, mmmh... so... so 90's yes!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I found out that Lego is releasing a 1:110 scale set of the Saturn V, for the 45th anniversary of NASA. It got it's goal of 10,000 supporters and is now being prepared for liftoff (sorry for the pun!!!) by June 1st. It will cost around $100USD, and I'm in Australia, so it'll be around $150AUD. It has 1,969 pieces (because Apollo 11 was in 1969), and comes with extra pieces to build little dioramas for the moon lander, the command module splashing down, and other stuff. It even has a microscale US flag! All the stages of the rocket are there, so you can separate them if need be. It is really cool, and once built, from the base of the engines to the top of the launch escape tower, it is 93cm tall. It's going to release on June 1st, so looks like I'll have to build replicas of the Apollo craft and the Saturn V in KSP before that. But anyway, it's really cool! :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

My family's Bday party is tonight. Now I know what you're thinking. How could we have a family birthday party? Well, our family was literally born in may. My mom was the only one born outside of may (I think) In September (OUTSIDER!!!!!). So yeah, instead of having 500 Bday parties, we just have one. I hope I either get the Monuments Men book (It was a movie with George Clooney and Matt Damon and that one dude from the Ghostbusters that no-one can- Bill Murrey), or a Fidget Spinner

Link to post
Share on other sites

@TheEpicSquared, @DarkOwl57:

 

^^^Welcome to the internet.

 

As far as interesting things that happened today,

1. I had two classmates make me a new handle for my trombone case.

2. I was playing dodgeball, and it was the last few seconds of the game (Not that we have a timer or anything) and our team had one member left. In our school's version of dodgeball, when you get out you go to the other side of the gym, and if you catch a ball thrown by your teammate then you get back in. I had been out of the game for about twenty minutes at this point. She had two dodgeballs and she did her best to throw them as far as she could, and by chance I happened to catch one of them, and I got back into the game right as she got out. I chucked the ball and managed to get someone out, but I got out a few seconds later and the game ended. Also, the person who threw me the ball was also one of the two people who made me the handle.

3. We have this class, Intro to Engineering Design (IED) and it usually is the worst class ever. Over the past week, though, we got to do something cool and actually engineer-y. We got to build a sort of "Remote Control" (But not remote, as the controller had to be wired to the car) car. It actually proved to be surprisingly more difficult and more fun than I had guessed. The first day of the project, my team was mostly trying to figure out how the building blocks work. The second day I came up with this really weird way to transfer the energy of the motors we had been given to the wheels. It took me most of the whole class, because the motors end in a corkscrew and not an axle, and there are these gearbox parts that sort of do it but have the gear in a really inconvenient spot. So, I get it done, build a second one, and attach them to our car. They worked, but it was slow. Two seconds later a team member comes up with the idea of screwing a gear directly onto the motor, and I had to give my motor assemblies to another team. Today, however, we discovered that my teammates design didn't have enough torque to move the car forward, so I had to rebuild my (now improved) wheel assemblies from scratch.

Also, we worked on wiring today. Who knew wiring a steerable RC car could be so complicated?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:00 PM, Ultimate Steve said:

 

2. I was playing dodgeball, and it was the last few seconds of the game (Not that we have a timer or anything) and our team had one member left. In our school's version of dodgeball, when you get out you go to the other side of the gym, and if you catch a ball thrown by your teammate then you get back in. I had been out of the game for about twenty minutes at this point. She had two dodgeballs and she did her best to throw them as far as she could, and by chance I happened to catch one of them, and I got back into the game right as she got out. I chucked the ball and managed to get someone out, but I got out a few seconds later and the game ended. Also, the person who threw me the ball was also one of the two people who made me the handle.

lucky, we don't even get to play dodgeball because the school people say its "too dangerous" :mad:

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, if anyone wants the full story I'll type it, but if nobody wants it, I'll just summarize (because it would take 15mins to write).

The highlights of today:

  • I broke an elevator
  • I found out that my high school is technically 11 stories tall instead of 4
  • I played one of these things:

Image result for pvc pipe instrument

 

If anyone wants the full story, just say so!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StupidAndy said:

what...is that?

Well, it's an instrument that's played by slamming rubber paddles down on the open holes on top (see, the layout is like a piano) and each pipe is a certain distance long, and hitting it makes a certain pitched note. The longer each tube, the lower the note.

(There's no way I'm getting out of telling the story now, is there?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Well, it's an instrument that's played by slamming rubber paddles down on the open holes on top (see, the layout is like a piano) and each pipe is a certain distance long, and hitting it makes a certain pitched note. The longer each tube, the lower the note.

(There's no way I'm getting out of telling the story now, is there?)

oh yeah! one of those, my brain is now working again! :confused:

and no, you cannot not tell the story

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

I hate those kind of overprotective schools. What's next, forcing kids to eat school lunch or banning sports teams?

No, it's great, why dont we all play sarcasmball!

Link to post
Share on other sites

You know how I was talking about how a kid at my school got hit by a truck on Wednesday? Well he's back at school today, he looks completely fine which is nice, but he walks a little differently now. Also, our school seems to have no luck with kids and cars, because a kid at our school unfortunately was in a car accident yesterday and died on his way to the hospital.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2017 at 1:21 AM, Ultimate Steve said:

So, if anyone wants the full story I'll type it, but if nobody wants it, I'll just summarize (because it would take 15mins to write).

The highlights of today:

  • I broke an elevator
  • I found out that my high school is technically 11 stories tall instead of 4
  • I played one of these things:

Image result for pvc pipe instrument

 

If anyone wants the full story, just say so!

Do tell!

 

19 minutes ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

You know how I was talking about how a kid at my school got hit by a truck on Wednesday? Well he's back at school today, he looks completely fine which is nice, but he walks a little differently now. Also, our school seems to have no luck with kids and cars, because a kid at our school unfortunately was in a car accident yesterday and died on his way to the hospital.

Oh no. Sorry to hear that. :( 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/05/2017 at 2:10 AM, Physics Student said:

No, it's great, why dont we all play sarcasmball!

@regex & @ln400 @justjim do you here that fellow want to play sarcasmball , no for real ?

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
(( (( (((((( jk )))))) ))) ))
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WinkAllKerb'' said:

@regex & @ln400 do you here that fellow want to play sarcasmball , no for real ?

I'd love to play sarcastaball, It's the best and manliest sport there is!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...