Jump to content

What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?


Ultimate Steve
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Curio & Relic. Generally a firearm that is over 50 years old, by ATF definition. There are slightly different rules for their transfers.

Ah.  That does sound familiar.

It makes sense that (certain) older weapons fall under different rules.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've never really understood the stashing of guns either. I can understand collecting them, but hiding them around in various places of your house seems like overkill, not to mention dangerous.

That being said, I've always been a an enthusiast of (most) things related to the military. But that's usually centered around vehicles and other machinery. (E.g, I've always been interested in how tanks work, and things like naval ships):rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really shows how different eachothers worlds are. Like @Earthlinger, i only saw guns carried by policemen every now and then. And i also saw a bunch of military men with actual rifles instead of a pistol when i was 13 years old. Meanwhile there are 7 year olds in the world shooting guns for fun with his dad.

I do like guns however, great engineering goes into it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2018 at 3:03 PM, TheSaint said:

Yes, education is a good thing. It keeps you from being stupid. And, when you're wandering around in the woods with firearms looking for deer to shoot, being stupid can lead to Very Bad Things.

 

Edited by Guest
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, NSEP said:

Really shows how different eachothers worlds are. Like @Earthlinger, i only saw guns carried by policemen every now and then. And i also saw a bunch of military men with actual rifles instead of a pistol when i was 13 years old. Meanwhile there are 7 year olds in the world shooting guns for fun with his dad.

I do like guns however, great engineering goes into it.

I was lucky enough to be in a good Cadet Force at school, where we were trained in shooting various military firearms to a fairly high degree.

Thing is, the more I know about firearms, the more I disagree with the public having access to them, or at least unrestricted access.

If I was allowed to have one, I certainly would, because guns are cool and interesting, shooting is fun, and Im good at it. But I'll be danged if I want anyone else (because humanity) to have one, and Im more than willing to pay the price of not having one.

The number of examples of full-time firearms professionals (police, military) having negligent discharges is...less than comfortable. The idea of being around unknown members of the public with loaded firearms makes my stomach turn. Recent research in the US has shown that there is a detectable drop in firearms incidents whenever there is a large NRA convention.

In terms of home defence (the usually trotted-out excuse) they arent even particularly optimal.

Edited by p1t1o
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ProtoJeb21 said:

Today I learned a valuable lesson: 

Melted plastic graduated cylinders smell like grass. 

Story time?

On 3/7/2018 at 1:07 PM, Geonovast said:

I had to take a Hunter Education Course (I don't remember its actual name) when I was younger.  14? 15?  I don't remember what age, but I was definitely under 18.

I had no interest in hunting, but I really really liked shooting a bow.  We lived in town, with close neighbors.  In order to shoot in my back yard, I had to get my neighbors to sign something saying they were ok with it, and take the course.

I think it should be mandatory for everyone, hunter or not.  Regardless of how well you try to avoid it, it's very possible you may end up around guns at some point in your life.  And you need to know how to treat them.

I took a hunter education class when I was 13, as required by my state. I knew how to act around guns already, but the class taught me how to handle them outside the range. The instructor was great and really knew what he was talking about. Biggest takeaway was responsibility. Always know where your muzzle is, what your target is, what's behind it, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

 

That's a special kind of stupid there. :D

It's like I told my kids before we started them going out to the range. Shooting sports are like a lot of other sports that people participate in, like scuba diving, or rock climbing, or motorcycles. They can be a lot of fun, and you can have a good time, but if you let having a good time distract you from staying safe you will encounter life-altering consequences.

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

If someone is ever going to teach me how to properly use a gun, that person probably would be hickok45. Hickok45 all the way man.

You know, I have never actually watched a Hickok45 video. Heard a lot about them, but never gotten around to it.

Edited by TheSaint
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

Story time?

Apparently so. 

Today in first period Chemistry, we had to do an experiment where three beakers of water were put on a heating tray thing (I don’t know the exact term for it). That heater could reach temperatures of 550 C, as hot as K2-187d/Hemithea/EPIC 212157262.01. One beaker was filled with 25 mL of water, another one with 50 mL, and the last with 75 mL. We would need to see how long it took for each beaker to start boiling and record our observations. However, one of the beakers didn’t seem big enough for the 50 mL of water, so I used a plastic graduated cylinder, somehow not realizing it was plastic. About two minutes later it started smoking and melting. The good news was that it did NOT set off the fire alarm and wasn’t significantly damaged, but my teacher was obviously not too happy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I located a spot on Earth using nothing more than a grainy video. Its for a project im doing. I am actually really proud of myself and i want to continue doing it.

I probably can't discuss it on the forums because it contains a few grains of politics, so if you are curious, just PM me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

heating tray thing

Hotplate. Probably at least.

2 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

However, one of the beakers didn’t seem big enough for the 50 mL of water, so I used a plastic graduated cylinder, somehow not realizing it was plastic.

[facepalm]. Why not transfer the 50 mL to some other larger beaker? And how do you not realize its plastic? Good though that you noticed it before the fire alarm went off.

 

In other news - Today was my 3rd consecutive day off from school. 1st day was snow. Second day was because of road conditions. Today was since the power is still out at school.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, p1t1o said:

The number of examples of full-time firearms professionals (police, military) having negligent discharges is...less than comfortable. The idea of being around unknown members of the public with loaded firearms makes my stomach turn.

So, in the name of civil discourse, I will cautiously add a single observation here. :)

You take just such a risk any time you go on the road. Think about it, you’ve got people flying past you at triple digit closing speeds, all it takes is one tiny moment of inattention...

And yet, this is a risk nearly all of us accept without another thought day in and day out. We trust our fellow humans with this much responsibility...

I just know there’s a mod out there watching this thread, sweating like the RSO at the Falcon Heavy launch, his hand hovering over The Button...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So, in the name of civil discourse, I will cautiously add a single observation here. :)

You take just such a risk any time you go on the road. Think about it, you’ve got people flying past you at triple digit closing speeds, all it takes is one tiny moment of inattention...

And yet, this is a risk nearly all of us accept without another thought day in and day out. We trust our fellow humans with this much responsibility...

I just know there’s a mod out there watching this thread, sweating like the RSO at the Falcon Heavy launch, his hand hovering over The Button...

To avoid derailing the thread, I'll bite my tongue, but suffice to say I remain unconvinced (and if the m4 motorway is anything to go by, some people shouldn't have access to cars either :D)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

facepalm]. Why not transfer the 50 mL to some other larger beaker? And how do you not realize its plastic? Good though that you noticed it before the fire alarm went off.

I have my stupid moments. 

The problem I faced was that one of the beakers was labeled up to 80 mL, while the other two were labeled up to 40 mL. I thought that the remaining 40 mL beaker would not have enough room for 50 mL of water. Plus, I couldn’t accurately measure 50 mL in that beaker. Unfortunately, my teacher showed me that it COULD fit 50 mL, and that I could’ve just transferred the water from the graduated cylinder to the beaker. *sigh*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I have my stupid moments. 

We all do.

But yeah. Markings are a guideline not the actual max volume

It should be on there, shouldn't it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw the Humanity Star today. It was hard to track because it only flashed instantaneously with several seconds between flashes, and with varying brightness and periods. I couldn't tell it's rate of rotation. Harder to spot than the ISS for sure. It's not too bad for being almost small enough to put in your trunk, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I saw the Humanity Star today. It was hard to track because it only flashed instantaneously with several seconds between flashes, and with varying brightness and periods. I couldn't tell it's rate of rotation. Harder to spot than the ISS for sure. It's not too bad for being almost small enough to put in your trunk, though.

Wait, I just checked, it's over my continent now! Hopefully I'll be able to get a glimpse tomorrow if it's not too cloudy. :) How bright were the flashes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Could you see it at all between flashes? There’s a promising looking pass over my place Sunday night, but it’s listing the magnitude as like 4.5, which is barely visible to the naked eye. 

No, but I had a fair amount of light pollution and it slightly cloudy, so it may be visible in a darker place. The flashes are much brighter and clearly visible. It's helpful to have a live sky map handy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cool, I just saw it! Along with about half a dozen other things my app couldn't identify. I'ma have to bring the camera out next time, that was an impressive light show.

This was also the first time since we bought the place last fall that we've had all the lights off.

Damn. :blush:

My property is like the Hanford of light pollution. Need to get some shades.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...