What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

There was a short little thunderstorm.

I must not be the only one who loves the sound of thunder, right? I love how the entire sky rumbles. Imagine living in a tin can your whole live and coming to Earth, and then suddenly the entire sky tumbles up and it starts pouring rain. Sad how people take it for granted.

59 minutes ago, razark said:

I have been known to stand outside and watch as a thunderstorm comes in.

Where I'm from it's common to watch tornadoes as they come towards you. At least people talk about doing that. After the tornado gets too close for comfort you run inside and get into a storm shelter.

Ok, this one is REALLY CREEPY. So yesterday I was finishing some maths homework in the library at school, as I normally do most afternoons. About 5 minutes later, some kid walked in, wearing a hoodie. He had it done up tightly that only his eyes were showing, and he just walked over to me. Then, he grabbed my maths stuff and threw it all on the floor. I was like "Why'd you do that?", and I got no response. Then he just walked away. About two minute later, I saw him staring at me from a distance. I went up to him, and asked him who he was. He just said "Your worst nightmare". By this point I was getting tired of him, and tried to pull his hoodie off to unmask him. For a little kid, he was actually pretty strong, and kicked me in the stomach, as I fell to the floor. I then walked away and went back to my maths homework.

Once again, he was standing there, just staring at me. I got my phone out, and tried to take a picture or a video of him. He then grabbed my phone, and threw it on the floor (luckily I have a protective case so my phone suffered no damage). He then said "Leave this place", and I was like "No, [snip], I'm trying to do my homework" He then said "You'll suffer for your ignorance, fool". By this point, I just couldn't help but laugh. That stopped when he hit me in the face, and I now have a large bruise on my left cheek (really hurts too). I managed to get a short 18 second video of him, before he grabbed my phone again (I saved the video, so it's all good). Then he said that my actions will lead to suffering, and with that, he just walked away. 

I am now worried, as I've done nothing to provoke this. He just came up to me and threw my maths stuff around. I don't even know him. Thoughts?

Edited by Vanamonde
Mind the language, please.

5 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I am now worried, as I've done nothing to provoke this. He just came up to me and threw my maths stuff around. I don't even know him. Thoughts?

Throw maths at him. Throw the whole book at him. You are a rocket scientist, you can throw a lot more maths at him than he could ever throw at you.  USE THE MASS*ACCELERATION, LUKE!

22 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

am now worried, as I've done nothing to provoke this. He just came up to me and threw my maths stuff around. I don't even know him. Thoughts?

Um... maybe I’m going out on a limb here, but... maybe report it to the police? :/ Assault, battery, making threats... not ok, not even in jest. 

On 7/26/2018 at 5:49 PM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

EDIT: this response is stupid. Ignore this.

Edited by Kernel Kraken

1 hour ago, razark said:

Or the school officials?

You said this was in the library, is there no faculty around?

There is, but they were all having conversations in the office. 

4 hours ago, NSEP said:

There was a short little thunderstorm.

I must not be the only one who loves the sound of thunder, right? I love how the entire sky rumbles. Imagine living in a tin can your whole live and coming to Earth, and then suddenly the entire sky tumbles up and it starts pouring rain. Sad how people take it for granted.

The delicate sound of thunder can be pleasing indeed.

Although it used to scare my dog.

1 hour ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

There is, but they were all having conversations in the office. 

Maybe talk to them, show them the video and let them know to keep an eye out for the kid in case he keeps it up. It sounds like you did a good job standing your ground. It would be best if you can shut him down before he attacks again.

15 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

It really depends on his age. Suggesting its a little kid, i think he might be someone who thinks they know what they are doing but actually aren't. This is something i fear alot, actually. I hate it when people in general act upon their stupid little fantasies by physically hurting others.

Tell a school official and show them the 18 second clip. Someone has to give that little guy a moral lesson.

20 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

For a little kid, he was actually pretty strong, and kicked me in the pretty stomach, as I fell to the floor.

How much bigger than him are you? That also influences what you should do if adults do the usual thing and say something like "It sounds like a simple problem, I bed you could solve it yourself". If you're huge then tackle him.

I was in the library, bored of doing my thesis work.... So I was just fiddling about with KSP stuff.. I was thinking of a 1.875-2.5m adapter crew module, which could mate the Gemini pod and the Mobile Processing Lab seamlessly..I opened up Wings 3D and tried to visualize it by making a (very) rough model.

1V0lFk7.jpg

When all of a sudden my junior who is working on a project similar to my thesis sneaks in from behind.

"What are you doing? Is that a thermos?" she asked.

"Actua...*sigh* yes, yes hun, that is a thermos." I replied. It would take too long to explain KSP to her.....

"The bottom part looks sci-fi!"

"Oh, that's just for the sake of aesthetics."

"What are those little stapler pins thingies at the sides?"

The conversation then turned into a discussion of thermoses, leading to talking about radiation-convection heat transfer, improving thermos designs, storing excess heat by latent heat storage materials...... We kept talking for about 2 hours on this subject. Non stop!

I had no idea she knew this much about thermoses....

Edited by Sorabh
Typos..

8 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I think in that case you could have just told her it was part of a spaceship and she would have been smart enough to figure it out.

It did not occur to me at that moment. Because it does look like a thermos... And I did enjoy the 2 hour talk, so it's all fine and dandy!  :)

This is hilarious... There are a bunch of crows outside just carrying on like it's a Hitchcock movie... They've been doing this for the last few days, all around mid-day...

And we just figured out what's going on...

It's flight school!!!  :cool:

I wish I could get a video... A couple of them, I'm assuming the parents, are flying from tree to tree, then stopping and cawing like mad-crazy until a couple more, I assume the young ones, follow them, and then it happens all over again...

This is a riot to watch!!!

11 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

The Birds: The Early Years :sticktongue:

You would think!

Technically these are fish-crows, which form huge murders. And the one around here has to be 200-300 or more. I need to get a shot of them on the wires. You'd swear Alfred just moved in down the road. 

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

You would think!

Technically these are fish-crows, which form huge murders. And the one around here has to be 200-300 or more. I need to get a shot of them on the wires. You'd swear Alfred just moved in down the road. 

I’m still out of likes for the day so, obligatory:

The cops arrested two crows, what was the charge?

Spoiler

Attempted murder!

giphy.gif