What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Flea market!

Bought some stuff for myself, more specifically I bought some movies I'd like to watch. Including a DVD version of Apollo 13 (Finally!) and the Matrix trilogy.
I would have also bought a rotary phone for actual use (not kidding) but I don't think that the plugs are the same as nowadays, so I didn't in dread of wasting money.

9 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Well, I finally saw Interstellar. Ignoring the lack of astronaut-like integrity among the characters, flaws in orbital mechanics, and questionable scientific representations, I found it a genuinely enjoyable movie and I cried a lot.

Good music, huh? :) 

Yesterday, actually, but anyways...

Harvest day!:D

MbqRNNn.jpg?1

More of an incidental harvest, really. 12 4oz jars of comb honey. We only got half a pickle jar from the actual honey super, but weren't expecting much since it's the colony's first year. That, we fed right back to the bees. But to make room for the feeder (which will be kept full of sugar syrup till next spring) we had to remove two frames, so that's what we actually collected from.

KT5mXpk.jpg

EVERYTHING! IS! SO! STICKY! Even after scrubbing, we're still finding sticky everything the day after. There's sticky on the ceiling. Now how the flarp did we get sticky on the ceiling?!? :huh:

Also, rendered the wax down and got it pretty clean. Will have to turn this into a little candle.

0DMYtuV.jpg

This was yesterday, but it was during a football game and I was working the concession stand. I was sent out to do a quick trash pickup behind the stands, but ended up doing an hour long general trash cleanup of the near park area... Most people are instructed to just get the big stuff but there was so much small stuff that it was messing with me and the trash bag ended up with a sizable amount of stuff in it. The little stuff, because nobody will pick it up, is the stuff that is really old. I went over to a tree next to the skate park that had a lot of junk under it, some of which had been there probably years.

And under that tree is where I found the time capsule.

Okay, it wasn't really a time capsule, but I can't come up with the right name to describe it. It was this tiny container painted to blend in with the dirt, basically 2 pop bottle caps screwed onto a connector, about the size of 2 USB sticks or one of those small orange prescription containers. I picked it up and almost threw it into the trash but then I got curious and twisted one of the caps off - and inside was this *tiny* scroll of paper. If it was more than an inch wide, it wasn't by much. It was several inches long, slightly water damaged, and covered in a list of names and dates.

The first names were illegible because they were wound on the outside of the scroll and were the most susceptible to water damage, but the inside was perfectly dry.

The very first names on the list were dated from 2008 and the most recent late 2009. That made me the first known person to find it in almost nine years. So I found someone with a pen and signed the paper. I wonder how much longer it will survive...

I plan to take it for a day to get pictures at some point and then I will put it right back where I found it. I want to see if I can look up the people and maybe contact them to see if they remember it.

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

This was yesterday, but it was during a football game and I was working the concession stand. I was sent out to do a quick trash pickup behind the stands, but ended up doing an hour long general trash cleanup of the near park area... Most people are instructed to just get the big stuff but there was so much small stuff that it was messing with me and the trash bag ended up with a sizable amount of stuff in it. The little stuff, because nobody will pick it up, is the stuff that is really old. I went over to a tree next to the skate park that had a lot of junk under it, some of which had been there probably years.

And under that tree is where I found the time capsule.

Okay, it wasn't really a time capsule, but I can't come up with the right name to describe it. It was this tiny container painted to blend in with the dirt, basically 2 pop bottle caps screwed onto a connector, about the size of 2 USB sticks or one of those small orange prescription containers. I picked it up and almost threw it into the trash but then I got curious and twisted one of the caps off - and inside was this *tiny* scroll of paper. If it was more than an inch wide, it wasn't by much. It was several inches long, slightly water damaged, and covered in a list of names and dates.

The first names were illegible because they were wound on the outside of the scroll and were the most susceptible to water damage, but the inside was perfectly dry.

The very first names on the list were dated from 2008 and the most recent late 2009. That made me the first known person to find it in almost nine years. So I found someone with a pen and signed the paper. I wonder how much longer it will survive...

I plan to take it for a day to get pictures at some point and then I will put it right back where I found it. I want to see if I can look up the people and maybe contact them to see if they remember it.

Geocache?

You could maybe find your coordinates there and look up a geocache in that area.

Edited by Bill Phil

On 9/10/2018 at 1:10 AM, CatastrophicFailure said:

Yesterday, actually, but anyways...

Harvest day!:D

MbqRNNn.jpg?1

Oh yum, oh yum...

My family is going to get into bee-keeping for the benefits and also 'cause BEES!
Thought you'd appreciate this... :D

As for me....

Not much. Did some prep for Hurricane Florence, now going south of us, (THANK GOD) 
And I cleaned up. Now I'm relaxing 'cause I can. 

13 hours ago, Green Baron said:

Was on very bumpy flight today. Negative g in mid air ...

Funny thing is, even with very heavy turbulence, when it feels like your heart is dropping out of your behind or out your mouth, the plane is probably only dropping or rising 3-4 feet.

And if you are looking at the wings hoping they are strong enough, be calm in the knowledge that they are very strong and the fuselage itself will fail long before the wings do :)

Unless fatigue cracks cause a brittle failure that is :D

Edited by p1t1o

Not today, but yesterday in Organic Chemistry, there were many many wasps or bees (I say they're wasps, but everyone says bees.... IDK which they are). Enough in fact to change classroom. Our teacher did kill apparently like 20 or so in an earlier class in the same room.

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

Not today, but yesterday in Organic Chemistry, there were many many wasps or bees (I say they're wasps, but everyone says bees.... IDK which they are). Enough in fact to change classroom. Our teacher did kill apparently like 20 or so in an earlier class in the same room.

Well I hope they weren’t bees. :( Killing bees is bad mmkay, I’d expect a teacher to know that. And the difference between bees and wasps. Tho if they were acting like a— er, jerks, probably wasps. 

6 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Ferret got married.

Yup.

YESSSSSSSS Nice one matey!

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

...did kill apparently like 20 or so in an earlier class in the same room.

I have heard that when you smash a bee, it causes pheromones to be released which attract other bees. Not sure if that extends to wasps, but ehhhh, why not.

5 hours ago, p1t1o said:

when you smash a bee, it causes pheromones to be released which attract other bees.

They just respawn inside the player's physical range.

P.S.
Probably, mosquitos don't use pheromones. They fly to you wherever you kill them or not.

Edited by kerbiloid

46 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

They just respawn inside the player's physical range.

P.S.
Probably, mosquitos don't use pheromones. They fly to you wherever you kill them or not.

AFAIK, mosquitos track carbon dioxide concentrations, in this way they home in on any living creature.