Ultimate Steve

What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Recommended Posts

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:25 PM, TheSaint said:

Those are the trips you remember. :)

That's certainly one way of putting it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night I dreamt I crash-landed a blockade runner precariously on the edge of a cliff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

That's certainly one way of putting it...

When I was just out of the Navy, I volunteered as a youth sponsor for the youth group at the church I went to when I was growing up. "Youth sponsor" = van driver, kid wrangler, chaperone, short-order cook, expedition porter, and general gopher. But I got to go on all of the fun youth trips, so there was that. One of the trips we went on every year was a week-long camping trip to Big Sur over spring break. This particular trip we had been blessed with good weather all week, but the day before we were to leave the clouds had started to roll in, and that night a mist was starting to fall. We were all looking at each other dreading the next day, because the only thing worse than camping in the rain is trying to pack up camp in the rain. But our ever optimistic youth pastor looked up at the falling mist with a studious glance and said, "No, I don't think it's going to rain tomorrow. I don't think it's actually raining right now, I think this is just the wind blowing condensation from the trees." We get up the next morning and it is a torrential rain, just pouring buckets on our heads as we're trying to pack up camp. We're soaking wet, all the camping gear is soaking wet, just rivers of mud flowing through the campsite. But every time we walked past our youth pastor, we're all, "Hey, look, it's condensation blowing off the trees!" :D

Even now, 25 years later, practically every time I see him, I wind up giving him crap about that, or about some other disastrous youth trip we went on together. All the trips we went on where nothing went wrong? Can't remember a thing about 'em.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

Another happy landing

*We hit the ground, the ship slides to a halt*

*I'm not near a window so I can't quite see where we are*

"Well, at least we aren't hanging off the edge of a cliff like it would inevitably be if this were a movie."

*the ship lurches forward and tilts 30 degrees over the edge of the cliff*

"Well, crap."

 

Did I mention it was shot down by the Separatists?

Edited by cubinator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made myself a cup of coffee this morning to try and not fall asleep in class/at a lecture. It did the job, but I was on some sort of caffeine rush for a couple hours, enough to make writing a bit hard. Think it was a bit on the strong side.

Think I'll make another cup tomorrow, just maybe a bit weaker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Made myself a cup of coffee this morning to try and not fall asleep in class/at a lecture. It did the job, but I was on some sort of caffeine rush for a couple hours, enough to make writing a bit hard. Think it was a bit on the strong side.

Think I'll make another cup tomorrow, just maybe a bit weaker.

It’s not strong enough unless you can chew it. :confused:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

It’s not strong enough unless you can chew it. :confused:

At that point, wouldn't you just be eating coffee beans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, qzgy said:

At that point, wouldn't you just be eating coffee beans?

Eh, I gave up on the inefficiencies of the gastrointestinal route long ago, now I just take my caffeine intravenously. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TheSaint said:

But our ever optimistic youth pastor looked up at the falling mist with a studious glance and said, "No, I don't think it's going to rain tomorrow. I don't think it's actually raining right now, I think this is just the wind blowing condensation from the trees." We get up the next morning and it is a torrential rain, just pouring buckets on our heads as we're trying to pack up camp. We're soaking wet, all the camping gear is soaking wet, just rivers of mud flowing through the campsite. But every time we walked past our youth pastor, we're all, "Hey, look, it's condensation blowing off the trees!" :D

A true professional gave a master-class of team building.
He's there not to predict the weather, but to raise morale and unite the team. 
So, what can unite better than a consensual object of hate and contempt?
That's a real example of self-denial. After the rain the team members had forgotten their differences and disagreements and were (very much were) friends against that (disgusting person) who made them wet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kerbiloid said:

A true professional gave a master-class of team building.
He's there not to predict the weather, but to raise morale and unite the team. 
So, what can unite better than a consensual object of hate and contempt?
That's a real example of self-denial. After the rain the team members had forgotten their differences and disagreements and were (very much were) friends against that (disgusting person) who made them wet.

LOL Actually, I love that man like a brother. Although he lives 500 miles away now, we get together and see each other every chance we get. We went to Death Valley together back in January, and we're probably going again next year as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I Googled my username and realized that even after my 5 year hiatus, most of my digital footprint is on the KSP Forums. Specifically the lounge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have finally considered coming back to KSP and playing Realism Overhaul after a few months (insert cheering noises)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my way into work this morning, I was a very erratic driver swerve lanes, pop the curb, run over a road sign, and drive into oncoming traffic.

I don't know if it was someone that was on something, running from something, just incapable of paying attention (car did have disabled plates), or some moron on their phone, but it was weird to see.

No other cars were hit, the cars coming the other direction were far enough away to stop with plenty of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

On my way into work this morning, I was a very erratic driver

I think you mean "saw." :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ultimate Steve said:

I think you mean "saw." :)

Yes...

But I shall leave it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

On my way into work this morning, I was a very erratic driver swerve lanes, pop the curb, run over a road sign, and drive into oncoming traffic.

I don't know if it was someone that was on something, running from something, just incapable of paying attention (car did have disabled plates), or some moron on their phone, but it was weird to see.

No other cars were hit, the cars coming the other direction were far enough away to stop with plenty of time.

Senior citizen, bet me a dollar. Our town here is full of seniors who keep driving long after they should have stopped.

We had two of them a couple of months ago who couldn't manage to navigate their way through a two-way stop at the intersection by the clubhouse in our development, and one of them wound up driving off into the ditch. One of them got onto the community Internet forums and started a huge discussion about how "inadequate" the traffic control at the intersection was. Their final conclusion? The intersection needed a four-way stop? No. The intersection needed a traffic signal? No. They concluded that the intersection needed to be converted into a traffic circle. :rolleyes: But, in the grand tradition of people who have nothing better to do with their lives, they petitioned the HOA and now the HOA board is pressing the city to convert the intersection into a 4-way stop, which is entirely unnecessary and would have done nothing to prevent the original accident.

This week, I'm driving down the main drag in our development, a divided 35-mph throughfare, and I come upon an SUV stopped dead in the middle of an unsigned intersection. Luckily for me, this is the point at which I have to turn left, so I pull into the the left turn lane and stop to look and see if there is a problem, if someone is having a medical issue or something. No, it's an elderly couple sitting in their car, stopped smack dab in the middle of the intersection, talking and pointing, apparently trying to figure out which direction they were supposed to turn. I just shook my head and kept driving. The guy in the Super Duty pickup behind me was not as charitable.

I pray that when that time comes I have the good sense to get out from behind the wheel, or, barring that, my kids have the good sense to take the keys away from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

They concluded that the intersection needed to be converted into a traffic circle.

While that is a non sequitur in that context I do think that traffic circles are better than intersections. They're not necessarily wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Delay said:

While that is a non sequitur in that context I do think that traffic circles are better than intersections. They're not necessarily wrong.

I don't disagree that, in the proper context, traffic circles work better. (Although if you saw the way that traffic circles kick some folks asses around here, you would wonder.) However, this is a low-volume intersection in a residential neighborhood. Trust me, if you knew the area you would see how utterly ridiculous of a suggestion it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My entomology professor addressed the moth memes today. :D L A M P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just learned about spoonerism.

 

3 hours ago, cubinator said:

L A M P

Linux Apache MySQL PHP ? *doubtfullook*

:-)

Edited by Green Baron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Yes...

But I shall leave it.

Talk about your awkward typos... :sticktongue:

Also, like I say to everyone with an “interesting” driving story, dashcams, yo! Dashcams!

 

 

4 hours ago, TheSaint said:

pray that when that time comes I have the good sense to get out from behind the wheel, or, barring that, my kids have the good sense to take the keys away from me.

Give it about 10-15 years, and the car will take away the keys for you. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Give it about 10-15 years, and the car will take away the keys for you. :P

Not if I have anything to say about it. Besides, I doubt that any self-driving car is going to get me to the places I drive on the weekends. :)

y6bhCryl.jpg

0xFpKdql.jpg

AZUgcnTl.jpg

kSPlL2rl.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I...I watched an entire season 3 of Rick and Morty in a single sitting without watching seasons 1 or 2...3.5 hours of that stuff... Oh my goodness, do children watch that stuff? And holy smokes evil morty is evil... and Rick doesn't have any conscience..and suddenly i dont wanna play KSP anymore.. I need a break, I need time, time to adjust..I need some space, I will make some space-time stuff, a portal gun...I wanna go to alternate dimensions... :sealed::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.