My Functional Imperial Star Destroyer

Hey follow Kerbonauts :)

Today i finished my most complicated project so far. An Imeprial Star Destroyer amd i thought i want to share it with you :) It really was a complicated project, since it is "Fully Space Flight Capable" and is launched from the Space Center. The full Launch system consists of around 800 Parts, the Star Destroyer itself of around 500 parts.

The Structure is easy to get to Orbit with RCS and SAS activated during the early flight. It is lifted by 4 Main Boosters on the Side and 1 Little Booster down below the middle engine. It generates little over 1 G thrust at the Launch and the Star Destroyer itself can accelate with up to 50 m/s^2 in the Vakuum. The whole Launch System has enough DeltaV to bring the Star Destroyer into a stable Mun Orbit. If refueled (Dockingport at the front) interplanetary Flights shouldn't be a problem, The Center of Mass is a close to the Center of Thrust as i could put it. During Acceleration it is stable (when the tanks empty out, the Mass of the tower shifts the Center of Mass stronger and RCS is needed to keep the SD stable on long Burns.). The Shipm is stable in flight. No Parts wobble around or move much.

The SD can carry 5 Kerbals, of which 1 is in a cupola (center of the bridge) and has a good view over the ship. More Kerbal Holding Parts can easily be attached infront of the engines. Unfortunatly, i couldn't build in the Service Bay the way i wanted so i just put in more Fuel Tanks instead.

The Mods i used are:

SpaceY - Lifters  (+ModuleManager.2.7.4.dII), SpaceY - Expended, HabTech (Only the Cupola)   ...   (I use a scatterer in the following pictures too)

I ued Mechjeb on the early Versions, but the latest One doesn't have it.

If you have any constructive critisism, any ideas or thoughts on this, please be sure too leave a comment. Thank You :) Unfortunatly i didn't know where or how to uplaod the Craft file (i need some help with that) :( 

Here are some pictures (actually 9):

ae94c5-1483571533.jpg

4880c1-1483571548.jpg

2d9fce-1483571570.jpg

ae7fb1-1483571593.jpg

c6ccb9-1483571624.jpg

54cb5e-1483571613.jpg

d4a92f-1483571640.jpg

76dc02-1483571654.jpg

4b0c6e-1483571667.jpg

Whoa, sweet-looking ship!  :)

Moving to Spacecraft Exchange, which is generally the place for "here's this thing I built" posts.

2 minutes ago, SpaceTrashCan said:

Unfortunatly i didn't know where or how to uplaod the Craft file (i need some help with that)

You may want to consider using KerbalX, which is a fan site specifically designed for sharing KSP craft.

Alternatively, any public file-sharing site such as Dropbox will work, though then you don't get the nice KSP-specific features that KerbalX has.

Here are some pictures of the Launch System, The Reentry and the Post "Landing" (I I slowed my final descent down a little with the Fuel i had Left, since the Engines are absolute OP irt worked kinda :D )

The Launch Syystem Pre and in In Flight:

39cca2-1483607813.jpg

b018fe-1483607820.jpg

Side-Booster Seperation:

78ce8a-1483607828.jpg

Under Full Thrust: :D

09fb0f-1483607836.jpg

Reentry: :D

Stable so far^^

50580f-1483607859.jpg

Whoops.. Not so stable anymore xD

173e00-1483607865.jpg

e1ef27-1483607874.jpg

Parts Came off :D

ac410e-1483607882.jpg

A whole lot of them xD. Also the Commander in the Cupola didn't make it... (Well he had it coming, when he joined the empire:P )

2c5f28-1483607900.jpg

Atleast to of the three Man Crew managed to surive the "Landing" :D

bdf338-1483607909.jpg

Close enough i guess: :P  :D

4a07e0-1483608766.jpg

*Two of the Three Crew Members

1 hour ago, SR said:

Amazing ship.

Pity its not full scale.

36 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Stayputniks as ball things! I should've thought of that! Mine uses inverted linear RCS ports. :P

Overall, nice job!

This thing is great.  The only real constructive criticism is to comment on your struts.  It would look much better if you hid those struts on the interior of the ship or by simply offsetting them into the outer hull so that they can't be seen.

6 hours ago, Whisky Tango Foxtrot said:

Looks awesome. I'm just a bit disappointed that it doesn't have a docking bay on the belly for capturing pesky Rebel blockade runners.

Thx :) I thought about the docking bay a lot. But i would have to remove atleast 1 maybe 2 of the big main tanks to get room for teh bay and that would mean I can hardly enter a 200km x 200km Orbit around Kerbin. Maybe i can find a way, to build Fueltanks inside each other to have the same amount of fuel on less room and then build the service bay in.

3 hours ago, barrenwaste said:

This thing is great.  The only real constructive criticism is to comment on your struts.  It would look much better if you hid those struts on the interior of the ship or by simply offsetting them into the outer hull so that they can't be seen.

Thanks :) I agree. I tried to build it withput exterrior struts at first, but the ship (especially the tower and bridge) would wobble like crazy making it nearly impossible to have a stable flight. But i work on putting the struts on the inside without losing stability. Thank You for the Idea :)

11 hours ago, cubinator said:

It's right here:

Full size doesn't have to kill your processor, if you have the right tools!

I checked it out, Looks great! It looks way more realistic than mine :) can it fly?

I mean if i built it full scale and didn't use Tweak Scale it would've butchered my computer :D  with tweaksclae and hangarextender it's something different

2 hours ago, SpaceTrashCan said:

I checked it out, Looks great! It looks way more realistic than mine :) can it fly?

It needs hacked gravity, infinite propellant, and infinite electricity to fly, and has a really low TWR, but I noticed the main engines get a perfect blue glow when they get hot. I managed to get it into orbit, so that's something.

I solved all the "problems" the Star Destroyer had and fixed a couple things to make it look better. The struts are on the inside (Atleast as mucha s possible). It does have a Service Bay now, that is currently filled with a One man Spaceship. The Delta V went don a little bit (Not much but a little bit). I had to redesign the entire front section but it is still stable and i think its looks improved :)

I uploaded the New Version to KerbalX if you're interested to check it out:

https://kerbalx.com/SpaceTrashCan/Imperial-Star-Destroyer-Functional

Here are some pictures of the new version :)

0d6817-1483709984.jpg

599a3e-1483711980.jpg  20507b-1483712054.jpg

4a5331-1483712012.jpg  c2e29c-1483712031.jpg

d7b703-1483712061.jpg 47fe99-1483712078.jpg

a5f3c3-1483712099.jpg  b07b9d-1483712109.jpg

48b190-1483712125.jpg  b238fb-1483712135.jpg

d4c4de-1483712235.jpg

Edited by SpaceTrashCan
Pictures were too big. i made them smaller, so the message wouldn't be too long. Clicking on them should make them big

This is pretty incredible, and the screenshot of it crash-landed is great too (I was actually thinking of that screenshot from the movie before I scrolled down to see it).

Also, for the people who are talking about the "ball things" above the bridge, they're antennas and shield generators in case you were wondering.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.