Missing addon threads.

sal_vager

Just now, Climberfx said:

So, this is the oficial state? So the guys with threads lost (first page of Add on Release on Forum, but all content of the threads on that page, past and present) are lost.

So, we need to restart our threads? Is that right?

No, please wait for news from Squads IT department, they are aware and are working on the issue.

@CobaltWolf, but does it run Linux?

6 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

ClimberFX, if the forums were on someone's desktop PC or laptop then Time Machine or similar solutions might be appropriate, but anyone running a forum with 24 hour uptime year round for several thousand users will be using something more professional.

You say, more professional like you do? The one 5 months later only backup?

When i said like this program, i m referring to any program that do that. As i suggest that you guys should already have that implemented yet, like you are the smart guys there! Like you suggest!

I'm off this conversation, cheers commanders, going to restart my lost thread!

Just now, Climberfx said:

You say, more professional like you do? The one 5 months later only backup?

When i said like this program, i m referring to any program that do that. As i suggest that you guys should already have that implemented yet, like you are the smart guys there! Like you suggest!

I'm off this conversation, cheers commanders, going to restart my lost thread!

You need to read this thread more carefully. You aren't understanding what people are telling you.

41 minutes ago, Climberfx said:

Not so large man, we are talking basically text/data base. No pictures are saved on server, no video, nothing of the things that take GBytes. So, i don't imagine a so big backup data. complex, yes! Lot of data. But Bits.

I used to host a large forum a few years back that ran the course over about 5-6 years. The SQL backups were totaling out around 4GB towards the end. Hosted profile pictures and signatures can rack up along with all the post data.

48 minutes ago, Climberfx said:

Some one there shouldn't have that power...

Don't forget that machines exist in meat-space and no amount of software security will prevent:

* blunt force interacting with delicate instruments

* power surges

* wear and tear on precise instruments(like hard drives)

* cascading hardware failures(such as whole array failures on a RAID that starts thrashing after a disk goes down and ends up losing more disks than it can handle)

High-end systems(usually government funded as few others are willing to spend that kind of money), can minimize these, but you cannot eliminate these or many other issues.

Most are willing to just have an off-site backup and work from there.

People should also note that backing up a database backend isn't as simple as backing up a set of files.  MySQL or Postgres (as examples I've worked with) for instance will likely have several files going at once per database - sometimes several per table.  A normal home backup will copy one at a time over, one after the other.  Which isn't much of a problem with normal files, but all of the database files are being changed constantly, and their internal states depend on the internal states (and possibly metadata states) of the other files.

There are a couple of different ways to solve that, but something like Time Machine will leave you with a broken database.

This all also complicates this restore: You can't just grab one of those files and have it be the thread.  The thread is likely spread over several of them - and you may not have backed them up that way.  (You may need to do things like rebuild the database from scratch, import the data from a couple of months ago, then import everything since then in the correct order, and *then* you can start pulling out the threads you need.  It depends on how you solved the issue of getting a coherent set of data to backup from the database.)

1 hour ago, Terwin said:

High-end systems(usually government funded as few others are willing to spend that kind of money), can minimize these, but you cannot eliminate these or many other issues.

I just wanted to say, as someone who's worked on government systems that were large enough that a short DDOS made the news...

BWHAAHAAAHAAAHHAAA!  You think they spend money on these things...  :D

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

I just wanted to say, as someone who's worked on government systems that were large enough that a short DDOS made the news...

BWHAAHAAAHAAAHHAAA!  You think they spend money on these things...  :D

ahuahuauhauhauhuahuha

They do...

LOC_Main_Reading_Room_Highsmith.jpg

An Update on this issue for all:

We are working with the forum suppliers to attempt to resolve the lost threads.
Our goal is to recover the lost threads via a backup we were able to get, but this backup does not include the activity of the past two days, so in order to avoid losing any content, this process will have to be done manually, which might take some time to do.
We are following this up further with IPS to see if there is a better way to recover the data with no risk of loosing content.
We have already put processes in place to ensure this cannot happen again.
Nothing will be done until Monday and we will give you further updates on what is happening then.

We will do our best to recover the data and we only ask for your patience and comprehension.

Thank you :)

5 hours ago, Climberfx said:

ahuahuauhauhauhuahuha

They do...

LOC_Main_Reading_Room_Highsmith.jpg

That's a Potemkin.  Sure the main reading room (where the VIP's hang out) is nice, but really everything's stored on dusty metal shelves in the basement.  :wink:

30 minutes ago, DStaal said:

That's a Potemkin.  Sure the main reading room (where the VIP's hang out) is nice, but really everything's stored on dusty metal shelves in the basement.  :wink:

No, that's the United States Library of Congress Main Reading Room in the Jefferson Building in Washington, DC.  Bro, do you even library?  8-)