Missing addon threads.

sal_vager

10 minutes ago, MisterFister said:

No, that's the United States Library of Congress Main Reading Room in the Jefferson Building in Washington, DC.  Bro, do you even library?  8-)

I once got a small group behind-the-scenes tour of the place, given by a ranking Congressman who was Chair of the Hoiuse Committee on Science and Technology, followed by a similar tour of the Capitol. It's neat to see the places not usually shown on public tours. :) 

43 minutes ago, MisterFister said:

No, that's the United States Library of Congress Main Reading Room in the Jefferson Building in Washington, DC.  Bro, do you even library?  8-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potemkin_village

In other words, it looks nice at first glance, but quite different from what's going on behind the scenes.

The real Library of Congress:

Spoiler

3198623919_1d2bf2065c_b.jpg

6922113091_9d26b37aca_b.jpg

6876843896_14cf57c31b_b.jpg

Edited by razark

@UomoCapra - IIRC there has been nothing terribly important posted in the BDA Continued thread in the past week or so ... I can't speak for the whole team here but I believe it would be fine if you were able to restore what you have in regards to the BDA Continued thread seeing as the latest release of BDAc was over a month ago

Regards,

DD

14 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

I thought @Green Iron Crown was the clone. I'm very confused now.

No, thats a clone of a clone.  It's like photocopying a photocopy, it gets degraded, so he had negative rep.

13 hours ago, AlimOncul said:

If  you install backup what will happen to this thread ? :o:cool:

It would only be a partial restore, only the threads would be restored.  I bet they have a backup, but they are trying to figure out how to get a partial restore of the 25 threads up.

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

One thought: Could the members who want to keep their threads active start new ones, and then just have them be merged once the backups are restored?

I know what it's like to lose data. I do not envy you all this weekend.

There should be nothing wrong with this, as they will have newer timestamps than the missing threads, any new posts can be merged on the end :)

On 1/5/2017 at 7:36 PM, LordFerret said:

I find this...
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/50701-community-mods-and-plugins-library-oct202016/
...invaluable. It's my go-to for everything. Not only do I want it back, I want it updated as there's a lot of stuff that's not listed in it.

Don't worry , I have a backup. But it's a little outdated maybe from 1.2

Edited by nismobg

1 minute ago, Laythe Dweller said:

Does this have anything to do with CKAN not working currently? I get a Kraken error message whenever I try to open it.

I wouldn't think so. This is a forum only problem.

Thinking that having restored some email or addressbook contacts gives one adequate understanding of what is involved in backing up and restoring a "real" database like Oracle/Postgres/whatever strikes as a lot like.... thinking that having flown to the Mun in KSP qualifies one to second-guess those who design rockets in real life. :-)

Mind you, people who design rockets in real life have been known to enjoy KSP, even contribute to it, and to suggest it as good educational fun. I do (well, the enjoy and suggest parts). But there is a bit more to the real thing.

And there is a *LOT* more to backup/restore of real databases. If you haven't done it (I have), you have no clue of what the issues involved even are.

3 hours ago, rmaine said:

And there is a *LOT* more to backup/restore of real databases. If you haven't done it (I have), you have no clue of what the issues involved even are.

And creating a new DB instance from the back-up is only part of what is needed to do a partial restore of the missing threads...

On 1/6/2017 at 1:11 PM, sal_vager said:

No, please wait for news from Squads IT department, they are aware and are working on the issue.

Do we have any idea what actually happened here and why these specific threads were inappropriately deleted/corrupted/removed from database/kraken'd? it just seems so oddly specific to hit one category of the forums. some type of auto-mod maybe?

3 hours ago, jwalker343 said:

Do we have any idea what actually happened here and why these specific threads were inappropriately deleted/corrupted/removed from database/kraken'd? it just seems so oddly specific to hit one category of the forums. some type of auto-mod maybe?

Yes, we are aware of what caused it and have put in place measures to prevent it from happening again.

1 hour ago, Virtualgenius said:

The question to ask is why did it happen in the first place and is there an ETA on there return. I guess one thing is in our favour at least our accounts didnt get nuked 

No ETA, sorry. It's being actively worked on.

3 hours ago, Virtualgenius said:

The question to ask is why did it happen in the first place and is there an ETA on there return. I guess one thing is in our favour at least our accounts didnt get nuked 

Don't bug IT guys for how long it will take to fix something.  The usual answer is they'll know when it's done.  In most cases the majority of the time goes to figuring out exactly what's wrong and that's something you can never make a prediction on.  Time predictions can only be made when either the issue can't be started until <x> happens (for example, in a scenario like this that might mean restoring the tapes to another box to extract the threads.  If you know the restore takes 6 hours you can say there will be no answer in less than 6 hours) or when it's been solved but something must happen for it to be put into effect.  (For example, task <x> must be restarted and doing so is disruptive enough you don't want to do it until some particular time.  I've had plenty of those over the years, the culprit usually involved a control server for the factory, figure $500 in downtime to restart it during production hours.  If it wasn't something urgent they would wait for lunch or the end of the day.)

Pretty upset at this whole KSP thing as i am a new player. For years now i heard of people telling me how great the mod community is in KSP. My question is; what mods? All the good stuff has been destroyed, by the modding community! I was watching RocketPCGaming on twitch, and was so intrigued with his list of mods installed, so i decided to try to partially reproduce the mods he had installed. This process took hours and hours of troubleshooting, and searching for third party download sources for the missing mod threads. Not happy about this. 

This community as well as any other community needs a solid foundation to rely on for mod distribution. If kerbalspaceprogram forums cant do it. Then maybe its time we open up shop somewhere else! 

Frankly, kerbalspaceprogram forums have let us down. 

27 minutes ago, WAKSLOB said:

Pretty upset at this whole KSP thing as i am a new player. For years now i heard of people telling me how great the mod community is in KSP. My question is; what mods? All the good stuff has been destroyed, by the modding community! I was watching RocketPCGaming on twitch, and was so intrigued with his list of mods installed, so i decided to try to partially reproduce the mods he had installed. This process took hours and hours of troubleshooting, and searching for third party download sources for the missing mod threads. Not happy about this. 

This community as well as any other community needs a solid foundation to rely on for mod distribution. If kerbalspaceprogram forums cant do it. Then maybe its time we open up shop somewhere else! 

thats why there is Curse and Spacedock

34 minutes ago, WAKSLOB said:

I understand you are upset but the last thing a new KSP (or any game) player wants to do is install dozens of mods into the game. Modding is something you want to do slowly as you find problems in the game. There are ZERO pathways to success in what you're trying even in the best of times. Every time there's a problem, you'll not know if it's your understanding, a fault in the game, a fault in the mod, the way you installed the mod, an interaction with other mods, or ... well you get the idea.

1 hour ago, WAKSLOB said:

For the record, these forums are unparalleled in breadth of topic discussed, the diversity in the game-modding ecosystem, and the support tools that modders and game devs alike put in place.  This is MAYBE the second or third time the forums have been significantly disrupted since 2011, I believe.  2011, you might benefit from noting, was back before there existed a GameData folder -- which meant that individual mods could only be installed by overwriting hard-coded game files, which pretty much meant you could run one MAYBE two mods at a time without something borking out.  Fast forward, you now have SpaceDock [plus that other accursed respository that I try to avoid] to say nothing of CKAN, I estimate that a solid 20% of the modding community uses github, fully deployed cross-platform mod support across Windows / Linux / Mac, and one of the healthiest overall YouTube landscapes there is by game title, second perhaps only to things like Rust or Minecraft.  The fact that not only was Kerbal Space Program the first major success story to come out of the horrors of The Age of Fly By Night For-Profit Early Access, but still remains a standout in a field of maybe 4 or 5 individual success stories in all of existence, and I'd say that you'll likely feel differently a few weeks from now.

If you'd care to PM me, I'd be happy to individually show you anything you'd care to know.

Edited by MisterFister

6 minutes ago, MisterFister said:

For the record, these forums are unparalleled in breadth of topic discussed, the diversity in the game-modding ecosystem, and the support tools that modders and game devs alike put in place.  This is MAYBE the second or third time the forums have been significantly disrupted since 2011, I believe.  2011, you might benefit from noting, was back before there existed a GameData folder -- which meant that individual mods could only be installed by overwriting hard-coded game files, which pretty much meant you could run one MAYBE two mods at a time without something borking out.  Fast forward, you now have SpaceDock [plus that other accursed respository that I try to avoid] to say nothing of CKAN, I estimate that a solid 20% of the modding community uses github, fully deployed cross-platform mod support across Windows / Linux / Mac, and one of the healthiest overall YouTube landscapes there is by game title, second perhaps only to things like Rust or Minecraft.  The fact that not only was Kerbal Space Program the first major success story to come out of the horrors of The Age of Fly By Night For-Profit Early Access, but still remains a standout in a field of maybe 4 or 5 individual success stories in all of existence, and I'd say that you'll likely feel differently a few weeks from now.

If you'd care to PM me, I'd be happy to individually show you anything you'd care to know.

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, MisterFister said:

Including how not to use your second ever post to sound like a bad yelp review.

Just made an account to say this, but I do hope it gets fixed soon. I've been playing a while and decided to put in some small mods, mainly ones that put in some extra parts, and took interest in Tarsier Space Tech for its camera and hard drive parts.