Jump to content

Missing addon threads.


Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

This is nothing compared to Great Forum Implosion of 2013, about a month after 0.19 went live and pretty much EVERY account was deleted and we all had to create new accounts. 

Those were dark days. Dark days, indeed ...

What happened? Someone deleted or hacked?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If that take one more day, i will prefer to recreate the thread myself.

Some one there shouldn't have that power...

Edited by Climberfx
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, AlimOncul said:

What happened? Someone deleted or hacked?

Hard crash on the forum, most recent working backup was ~5 months old, so 5 months of threads, posts and accounts were lost. 

Edit as some people have misinterpreted this post: The above refers to the April 2013 event, not the current one. 

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Link to post
Share on other sites

For such an important community forum for a worldwide product, wouldn't it be pretty simple and reasonable to run a rolling backup at least once a month via Cron?

I appreciate the database at this point will be incredibly large but that is a byproduct of success.

Edited by Poodmund
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

For such an important community forum for a worldwide product, wouldn't it be pretty simple and reasonable to run a rolling backup at least once a month via Cron?

I appreciate the database at this point will be incredibly large but that is a byproduct of success.

Squads IT is way ahead of you :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Should have at least a time machine like backup, that keep autonomous backup of the all recent things, so it would always had a full system backup and a little more "old" too, since the amount of data on backup (total) is always bigger than actual data from server.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

For such an important community forum for a worldwide product, wouldn't it be pretty simple and reasonable to run a rolling backup at least once a month via Cron?

I would assume they have that in place now. They probably just didn't back then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

For such an important community forum for a worldwide product, wouldn't it be pretty simple and reasonable to run a rolling backup at least once a month via Cron?

I appreciate the database at this point will be incredibly large but that is a byproduct of success.

Not so large man, we are talking basically text/data base. No pictures are saved on server, no video, nothing of the things that take GBytes. So, i don't imagine a so big backup data. complex, yes! Lot of data. But Bits.

Need an autonomous system. Mas have a long time the Time Machine. I believe pc and linux should have similar...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Climberfx said:

Not so large man, we are talking basically text/data base. No pictures are saved on server, no video, nothing of the things that take GBytes. So, i don't imagine a so big backup data. complex, yes! Lot of data. But Bits.

Need an autonomous system. Mas have a long time the Time Machine. I believe pc and linux should have similar...

Oh sure. Apple invented backup. It is well known.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sarbian said:

Or you know, they don't want to restore the full backup and delete 24H of posting just to restore 25 threads? Think a bit before posting...

With Time Machine backup wise, you go to a subsystem on system, then choose the files you wanna restore (not all of then Sarbian). and restore it.

Simple.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Climberfx said:

With Time Machine backup wise, you go to a subsystem on system, then choose the files you wanna restore (not all of then Sarbian). and restore it.

Simple.

Yeah. You obviously never used Time Machine to restore a Database.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Climberfx said:

Not so large man, we are talking basically text/data base. No pictures are saved on server, no video, nothing of the things that take GBytes. So, i don't imagine a so big backup data. complex, yes! Lot of data. But Bits.

Need an autonomous system. Mas have a long time the Time Machine. I believe pc and linux should have similar...

ClimberFX, if the forums were on someone's desktop PC or laptop then Time Machine or similar solutions might be appropriate, but anyone running a forum with 24 hour uptime year round for several thousand users will be using something more professional.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, i already use it for data Sarbian.

Well implemented, like when i needed restore an email, i could, is a database. Like Wise.

An adress on my contacts, etc.

A we'll implemented backup program, should have a internal program that recognize the data base, so you choose what you wanna restore. I believe that should exist too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Look, it's not important who is and who isn't a clone, OK?

Is 'Blue Iron Crown' taken?

2 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

ClimberFX, if the forums were on someone's desktop PC or laptop then Time Machine or similar solutions might be appropriate, but anyone running a forum with 24 hour uptime year round for several thousand users will be using something more professional.

0S5spVm.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Climberfx said:

Yeah, i already use it for data Sarbian.

Well implemented, like when i needed restore an email, i could, is a database. Like Wise.

An adress on my contacts, etc.

A we'll implemented backup program, should have a internal program that recognize the data base, so you choose what you wanna restore. I believe that should exist too.

Ok. So now install MySQL/Postgres/Oracle and do a partial restore of your DB. And come back when you have it working. 

Don't talk about things you know little about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Hard crash on the forum, most recent working backup was ~5 months old, so 5 months of threads, posts and accounts were lost. 

So, this is the oficial state? So the guys with threads lost (first page of Add on Release on Forum, but all content of the threads on that page, past and present) are lost.

So, we need to restart our threads? Is that right?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Climberfx said:

So, this is the oficial state? So the guys with threads lost (first page of Add on Release on Forum, but all content of the threads on that page, past and present) are lost.

So, we need to restart our threads? Is that right?

 

I was referring to the April 2013 event.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Climberfx said:

So, this is the oficial state? So the guys with threads lost (first page of Add on Release on Forum, but all content of the threads on that page, past and present) are lost.

So, we need to restart our threads? Is that right?

 

No, he was explaining what happened in the 2013 crash. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...