[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

1 hour ago, infinite_monkey said:

A follow-up question on WOLF: You said it's an addition to MKS/USI. And it's made to prevent heavy CPU load. So I still get heavy CPU load for the initial phase? How exactly is the MKS/USI system still needed, what's the boundary between them?

Others will correct me, but after asking some questions of RoverDude and DoktorKrogg last night here's my understanding;

WOLF can, if you want to, replace those previously far-flung remote or barely manned mining/refining bases that you used to need if you were doing heavy off-world resource gathering.  You'll still want a main base/colony that you interact with on a regular basis; where you build new vessels or prepare materials for shipment off-world.  That part doesn't change and the mechanisms are broadly similar.

But all of those remote "feeder" stations that you have to plop down all over the body and then make sure you check in on in exactly the right order to make sure the Planetary Logistics catch-up mechanisms work?  Those are what WOLF replaces.  Sort of.

You'll still need to build a vessel with the needed parts, land it at the location you want, and then click a button to "Absorb" it into WOLF.  The structure then vanishes and continues to exist only in the programming sense, there's no physical representation of it anymore but it's effect on resource gatherings still persist.  You then must fly a vessel with sufficient cargo capacity between your "feeder" outpost biome and your main station (or wherever else you need to transport resources), to prove that you can and to get an idea of what the transportation cost will be.

So MKS can still be used exactly as you're accustomed to, with no changes, if you want to.  Or you can still use it for all of the local logistics, and building stuff, and keeping your guys alive while on long journeys.  WOLF can be added, if you wish, to remove a lot of the "busywork" that can be associated with complex manufacturing chains in MKS.

Edited by tsaven

A follow-up question on WOLF: You said it's an addition to MKS/USI. And it's made to prevent heavy CPU load. So I still get heavy CPU load for the initial phase? How exactly is the MKS/USI system still needed, what's the boundary between them?

Not so much CPU load as issues caused by having massive amounts of vessels just for plumbing.  WOLF needs a lot fewer vessels, and we get all of the benefits of background processing without any of the costs at the price of some abstraction.  MKS is definitely needed since WOLF has no visual representation of vessels once stuff is plugged in.  So you would use WOLF to handle all of the plumbing (replacing your scattered resource processing and manufacturing bases), but still use MKS for the fun stuff (like your orbital shipyards or your main colony).

Hello,

after installing and playing with MKS for a while, I decided to take on a challenge and make a base on another planet, when I stumbled upon this. I cant configure my kontainers for a specific resource to hold. Any help would be appreciated. (P.S: Playing on KSP 1.5.1)OVZr8Cu.png

On 8/23/2019 at 11:38 PM, tsaven said:

The entire Near-Future Tech line of mods by Nertea are extremely well balanced and integrated very tightly with the USI mods.  In fact, Near Future's nuclear reactor mechanics overwrite the stock-ish USI reactor mechanics and they size perfectly in between each other.

Do you know if the USI mods are currently compatible with the community tech tree?  Or is it sandbox only?

I searched the thread and the last mention of the CTT was in 2018 referencing KSP 1.4.

7 minutes ago, PTNLemay said:

Do you know if the USI mods are currently compatible with the community tech tree?  Or is it sandbox only?

I searched the thread and the last mention of the CTT was in 2018 referencing KSP 1.4.

I have not had any problems playing with both.

Everything MKS seems to show up in the right places in CTT

17 hours ago, Terwin said:

I have not had any problems playing with both.

Everything MKS seems to show up in the right places in CTT

CTT keeps all the stock tech tree nodes (but changes their display names and moves them around), so even if a mod doesn't have CTT support (which MKS does) the parts would still show up in the tech tree just fine.

On 8/23/2019 at 9:18 PM, Hektos said:

I'm looking for a set of mods to build around this (well, USI in general. I've always loved all the RoverDude mods :D ) and was curious what (if any) "future tech" mods people are using with MKS?

I recently finished watching The Expanse and the Epstein Drive was really cool to me.  Is there a mod that has something like this (that also plays nicely with MKS)?

I'd recommend also checking out Deep Space Exploration Vessels, which has some great late-stage fusion reactors and engines that neatly link the best Near Future nukes up to Karbonite's super-torches. The core spacecraft parts increasingly have USI-LS patches included (eg an awesome fold-out hab ring). It also comes with Angel125's optional Wild Blue alternate resource tree, but can you largely disable/ignore that if you want to stick to USI.

<begin off-topic> Separately re my previous reference to NDA leaks - intended in jest and definitely just look forward to officially sanctioned drips from appropriate sources to carefully feed the hype train. <end off-topic>

On 8/27/2019 at 11:17 PM, PTNLemay said:

Yeah, everything in the USI constellation has full CTT support :)

11 minutes ago, dlrk said:

I'm a little bit confused about what WOLF is/will be. Is it a larger colonization system? A replacement for small harvesting bases?

As far as I understood, more of a production system.

On 8/27/2019 at 12:33 AM, RoverDude said:

WOLF needs a lot fewer vessels, and we get all of the benefits of background processing without any of the costs at the price of some abstraction.  MKS is definitely needed since WOLF has no visual representation of vessels once stuff is plugged in.  So you would use WOLF to handle all of the plumbing (replacing your scattered resource processing and manufacturing bases), but still use MKS for the fun stuff (like your orbital shipyards or your main colony).

I wonder, however: does WOLF come with any new parts? What about those giant domes some time ago? And that nice regolith harvesting thing?

Edited by infinite_monkey

I wonder, however: does WOLF come with any new parts? What about those giant domes some time ago? And that nice regolith harvesting thing?

From what I saw in RoverDude's and Doktor Krogg's Twitch stream last week (and there's another one this week, FYI), there are new parts to support the WOLF process of abstracting materiel and resources into the system (they 'disappear' from the KSP scene when absorbed).  The domes are not WOLF parts.

9 hours ago, dlrk said:

I'm a little bit confused about what WOLF is/will be. Is it a larger colonization system? A replacement for small harvesting bases?

WOLF and MKS can both stand on their own. We think you'll ultimately have a better experience if you use both mods together but neither of them depends on the other. It will kind of be up to the player then to determine where they want to draw the line between what they use WOLF for and what they use MKS for. I like to think of WOLF as a way to offload the "busy work" of colony building and management onto your Kerbals. You tell them which biomes to colonize, you deliver the equipment and personnel and they do the rest. Once equipment and Kerbals are "deployed" in WOLF, they literally disappear from the game and become numbers in the WOLF UI. The WOLF production chain is very similar to the MKS production chain, you just don't see any of it happening. Where WOLF and MKS intersect is that you can pull resources out of WOLF (via a new part we're calling a Hopper) to use by any other mod that relies on the stock resource system (MKS, USI-LS, GroundConstruction, etc.)

9 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

WOLF has lots of new parts. :) Most of them will be reskinned MKS parts though. You also won't get to see them very long because they'll disappear from the game once they're connected to WOLF. The domes and the new giant harvester are Atlas parts which will be included in a future MKS release. Something we have talked about adding to WOLF eventually is the ability to spawn huge, single-part vessels to serve as a visual representation that a biome has a WOLF colony in it. We've talked about hiding most of the model initially and revealing new bits as the WOLF colony hits certain milestones.

8 hours ago, Brigadier said:

From what I saw in RoverDude's and Doktor Krogg's Twitch stream last week (and there's another one this week, FYI)

Yes! Come watch us blow stuff up, see WOLF in action and listen to us ramble about it.

No, nothing respawns.  The 'colony' is abstracted in the biome in which it is initially deployed.  Any part or resource deployed in this way disappears visually so there's nothing to approach, and, at least for now, there is no way to extract the deployed parts/resources/Kerbals once they're committed.

Adding a bit to what was said above.  WOLF Is all about the plumbing. that connects your MKS bases together.  So rather than having half a dozen support bases to get everything you need to support your massive Minmus shipyard, WOLF lets you build up the infrastructure in the background and focus on the fun bits (interacting with that MKS shipyard base).  The level of abstraction is really up to you.  Anywhere from having a lot of little bases that you have to manage and crew to just having one base with a hopper.  This can get pretty meta.  Like having an orbital shipyard around Kerbin that gets all of it's supplies from WOLF infrastructure on the Mun, and it's MaterialKits from WOLF infrastructure on Minmus, with the only actual vessel being the orbital shipyard on Kerbin.  All of your interaction with WOLF is done via the WOLF control panel instead of individual vessels - which is a lot more efficient for your save game :)

Hi,

I installed a fresh KSP 1.7.3 with:
- USI Kolonization Systems v1.2.0.0
- KIS
- KAS
After loading, in the log, I find these two errors:

Spoiler

[EXC 18:08:41.227] Add to mod list threw an exception in loading 002_MultiAnimators, Version=1.1.0.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ModuleManager.ModListGenerator.GetAdditionalModsFromStaticMethods (IBasicLogger logger) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[EXC 18:08:59.379] [ModuleManager] Post run call threw an exception in loading 002_MultiAnimators, Version=1.1.0.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ModuleManager.PostPatchLoader+<Run>d__16.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

it is normal or could break the game?

I would like to integrate USI into a career that has already started and I would not do any damage.

Here there are complete logs:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FyaPg0V-c-7t-Hc9tDQPlvEKoTFNZZ-_

Thanks.