[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

11 minutes ago, Tokamak said:

Noted, but I'm not asking how to mod the parts. I also believe that Machinery is specifically exempt from local and planetary logistics. It's not manually transferable with the local logistics panel, for example.

I'm asking about how I am meant to use MKS as it is designed. The part description says that it "performs daily maintenance on nearby vessels", which I've been told means topping off the machinery. But I cannot get that effect to happen with any permutation that I try.

So, I can figure out hackish ways to keep my MKS parts stocked with machinery, but what I'm trying to establish is how am I _meant_ to do so, in the design of the mod itself. Every attempt I've made to understand what I am supposed to do and implement that has not done anything.

Sorry if I sound a little frustrated, but at this point I've sunk quite a few hours into trying to learn the ins-and-outs of MKS, because it is a wonderful mod. But it's frustrating when a core mechanic like this is something I can't work out through documentation or experimentation. Nobody else seems to have a problem, so I know I'm doing something wrong, but I cannot determine what.

Sorry then I dont know yet.  I havent set one of those up yet.

I would test one thing.  Those parts that started out with no machinery probably never became operational.  Maybe try adding or hacking in a few machine parts to get them functional and then see if perform maintenance is an option.

3 minutes ago, SkiRich said:

Sorry then I dont know yet.  I havent set one of those up yet.

I would test one thing.  Those parts that started out with no machinery probably never became operational.  Maybe try adding or hacking in a few machine parts to get them functional and then see if perform maintenance is an option.

Hmm, good idea. I'll try that.

3 hours ago, Tokamak said:

Hmm, good idea. I'll try that.

Well have you tried it with a logistics AND a workshop module part? I feel like the machinery not working with the normal local logistics system makes sense, it should require more thought and work (a workshop with an engineer) than piping around some water, so the way you make it happen is different than with the rest, but shouldn't it still require a logistics module to work? If not for gameplay reasons, then just because it still depends on the logistics system underneath the whole engineer shebang?

Please let me know if i completely misunderstand this system though...

Edited by TheBackIsBAck
fixed a completely nonsense sentence

I need new glasses.

Still not in the source thats up on git. Looks like there is a reference in one of the binaries I can just about read but it points to the authors local D: dropbox drive.

From USITools.  Which is where the logistics consumer CS file is.

Probably best to just let the author tell us how this works.

Edited by SkiRich

1 hour ago, Kunosheru said:

1.8.1 doesn't support this mod?

The 1.8 version works fine for 1.8.1 and 1.9, and it mostly works for 1.10, you just need to delete a few parts.  A new version with additional functionality is in the works, but I believe it is still in the test phase(and with a mod as complex as this one, that can take a while, especially with new toys)

2 hours ago, SkiRich said:

@Tokamak What ever happened with this?  Success?

I went overboard, trying to give it every chance even if there are mechanisms I'm not aware of.

Craft 1: Tundra Power, logistics, and workshop modules. Local warehouse parts with 10k machinery. Occupied by 2 engineers and a pilot, so every module has the profession that it likes occupying it.

Craft 2: Tundra Agriculture (2.5), Tundra logistics, ranger agriculture, ranger habitat. Occupied by a pilot and a scientist. Each module has 20% of its machinery capacity, and there is fertilizer and mulch for the agricultural modules.

The two craft are about 2m apart.

Once power was available, I activated the habitat, agriculture, and recycling modules on craft 2, and waited a few days with time warp on. After that, the operating modules had a bit less than 20% machinery capacity filled, and craft 1's machinery store was untouched.

I returned to Space Center, time-warped another few days, then went back to the craft. Still nothing. All of craft 2's modules had the amount of machinery they started with, less a bit for the few days they've been running.

In short, no joy. Has _anyone_ gotten this to work?

4 hours ago, Tokamak said:

In short, no joy. Has _anyone_ gotten this to work?

I started with MKS before detached logistics was a thing(also before ground anchor was a thing), and after some issues with flexible attachments I started making all of my mks bases rigidly attached, usually with a single major axis (like an I) giving a minor axis to larger bases (like a +) and often building up from enough places to support all of my rotating habitats well off the ground.

On these bases I produced machinery locally for any major bases and generally automated maintenance from a workshop was good at keeping everything topped off.

Before ground anchors I occasionally had jumping bases that I had to deal with, but generally so long as I used level ground for the entire base, I was good(I have not dared to try building on hills or slopes since the advent of ground anchors and improved stock physics may have made doing so more feasible)

KAS is a good way to attach freshly constructed or delivered components(When moving large pieces for a base with a sizeable existing population, I will often adjust the maximum per-kerbal weight and range in the config file to allow arranging things without spending a lot of time moving groups of kerbals around on the surface)

I believe that GC may allow transferring machinery during the finalization phase of building a module if you have machinery available on the constructing craft, but I have not tried to transfer machinery using the MKS disconnected logistics. 

On 8/14/2020 at 4:59 PM, Terwin said:

On these bases I produced machinery locally for any major bases and generally automated maintenance from a workshop was good at keeping everything topped off.

But the whole issue is that automated maintenance doesn't seem to work.

On 8/14/2020 at 4:59 PM, Terwin said:

KAS is a good way to attach freshly constructed or delivered components(When moving large pieces for a base with a sizeable existing population, I will often adjust the maximum per-kerbal weight and range in the config file to allow arranging things without spending a lot of time moving groups of kerbals around on the surface)

I believe that GC may allow transferring machinery during the finalization phase of building a module if you have machinery available on the constructing craft, but I have not tried to transfer machinery using the MKS disconnected logistics. 

Yeah, that's more or less the route I'm taking at the moment.

Hello, my little green button on the right hand side that you click to check the Kerbal's supplies, EC, etc is not there; and the kerbal's do not seem to consume supplies at all!

everything else seems right, though, but why are all the Kontainers in the heavy rocketry tech level?

Could Someone Please tell me what should Be in the game data folder? i think its my instalation procces that is the problem.

In my game data folder, there are:

SquadExpansion,

000_USITools,

CommunityResourcePack,

Firespitter,

GroundConstruction,

UmbraSpaceIndustries.

Is that right? I Downloaded it from github. I have v.1.7.1

The thing is, i have supplies avalible to me, but the Kerbals(Bless their souls) do not seem to need them!!!

P.S. How do you detonate the detonater in Start?

1 hour ago, Turbodyne said:

Hello, my little green button on the right hand side that you click to check the Kerbal's supplies, EC, etc is not there; and the kerbal's do not seem to consume supplies at all!

everything else seems right, though, but why are all the Kontainers in the heavy rocketry tech level?

To start with USI-MKS may have supplies and recyclers, but USI-LS is the life-support mod which makes kerbals actually consume supplies(and EC).  The little green button is also part of USI-LS.  If you hae USI-LS installed and it is not working, please seek help in the USI-LS thread.

If you do not use the community tech tree, you will not see a change in the tech tree.  USI-MKS can be used with either the stock tech tree, or the community tech tree(recommended), but does not change the tech tree itself other than adding parts.

note: I responded to your previous copy of this message with information about the community tech tree mod, do you not even read responses to your own messages?

I don't use detonators, but it seems probable that you would activate it from the right-click menu.

I'm soliciting some advice here for what I want to become a long, very long term off world base.

I made a science space station that can hold 20 kerbals for 8 years.

What I want to do is put it in an orbit around a body and then make a base on the body below it.  Assume Duna for example.

My goal is to have a bunch of kerbals that live extremely long term on the base and may go back and forth between the space station and the base.

The problem for that is always the Home variable.  All the other things I can account for but Homesickness I cannot.

What would be your best approach/strategy be to create a base that a set of kerbals will occupy for say 10-20 kerbal years without needing to come home and reset that counter?

Which body would you do this on?

4 hours ago, SkiRich said:

I'm soliciting some advice here for what I want to become a long, very long term off world base.

I made a science space station that can hold 20 kerbals for 8 years.

What I want to do is put it in an orbit around a body and then make a base on the body below it.  Assume Duna for example.

My goal is to have a bunch of kerbals that live extremely long term on the base and may go back and forth between the space station and the base.

The problem for that is always the Home variable.  All the other things I can account for but Homesickness I cannot.

There is a time-span beyond which homesickness and habitation time stops counting.

I believe that it is 5 years.(not counting any extensions from using colony supplies)

So any base that can provide 5+ years of habitation will allow an indefinite stay without habitation or Home timers causing a problem.

For pilots(and explorers) that time-span is 1 year.

2 hours ago, Terwin said:

There is a time-span beyond which homesickness and habitation time stops counting.

I believe that it is 5 years.(not counting any extensions from using colony supplies)

So any base that can provide 5+ years of habitation will allow an indefinite stay without habitation or Home timers causing a problem.

For pilots(and explorers) that time-span is 1 year.

Ah, thats a great tip.  Thanks.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 12:37 PM, Terwin said:

To start with USI-MKS may have supplies and recyclers, but USI-LS is the life-support mod which makes kerbals actually consume supplies(and EC).  The little green button is also part of USI-LS.  If you hae USI-LS installed and it is not working, please seek help in the USI-LS thread.

If you do not use the community tech tree, you will not see a change in the tech tree.  USI-MKS can be used with either the stock tech tree, or the community tech tree(recommended), but does not change the tech tree itself other than adding parts.

note: I responded to your previous copy of this message with information about the community tech tree mod, do you not even read responses to your own messages?

I don't use detonators, but it seems probable that you would activate it from the right-click menu.

@TerwinYes I read replies, but the time diffrence makes it hard to keep up, Sorry. I down loaded the MKS mod from spacedock but the USI-LS does not seem to be there. do you have to download USI-LS by itself or should i just download it from github, or is there something wrong with my Gamedata folder. Could you PLEASE tell me what should be in my GameData folder? Thank you.

I only have:

Squad,  SquadExpansion,  000_USITools,  CommunityResourcePack,  Firespitter,  GroundConstruction  and  UmbraSpaceIndustries. That is it. I Belive that is the only problem for now. :) Thank you for any Reply.

Edited by Turbodyne
Typo

1 hour ago, Turbodyne said:

@TerwinYes I read replies, but the time diffrence makes it hard to keep up, Sorry. I down loaded the MKS mod from spacedock but the USI-LS does not seem to be there. do you have to download USI-LS by itself or should i just download it from github, or is there something wrong with my Gamedata folder. Could you PLEASE tell me what should be in my GameData folder? Thank you.

I only have:

Squad,  SquadExpansion,  000_USITools,  CommunityResourcePack,  Firespitter,  GroundConstruction  and  UmbraSpaceIndustries. That is it. I Belive that is the only problem for now. :) Thank you for any Reply.

You probably want to download USI-LS from github so you can get the right version for your version of the game.

MKS and LS both install into UmbraSpaceIndustries  so you should have both UmbraSpaceIndustries\MKS and UmbraSpaceIndustries\LifeSupport if you have installed both.

On 8/14/2020 at 7:22 AM, Terwin said:

The 1.8 version works fine for 1.8.1 and 1.9, and it mostly works for 1.10, you just need to delete a few parts.  A new version with additional functionality is in the works, but I believe it is still in the test phase(and with a mod as complex as this one, that can take a while, especially with new toys)

Do you know which parts need to be deleted for it to work?

56 minutes ago, Lightning_Gamer said:

Do you know which parts need to be deleted for it to work?

The Light Globe I believe. Which is actually something of an issue personally because I had been using them fairly extensively around a base I'd been working on before the update...

Edited by Dep_Opt

3 hours ago, Dep_Opt said:

The Light Globe I believe. Which is actually something of an issue personally because I had been using them fairly extensively around a base I'd been working on before the update...

thanks. good thing im still early in this play through and can work around it, was really wanting to get back into the game but with all my mods i have, if USI MKS is disabled it breaks my kerbals, and the recruitment center.

11 hours ago, Lightning_Gamer said:

thanks. good thing im still early in this play through and can work around it, was really wanting to get back into the game but with all my mods i have, if USI MKS is disabled it breaks my kerbals, and the recruitment center.

Yea there's a reason most people don't try to upgrade mid save.