[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

1 minute ago, Nik Power said:

My KSP 1.11 complains, that MKS 1.4.0 pack has INCOMPATIBLE version of GroundConstruction inside. Is it supposed to be like that? MKS 1.3.0 did not had GroundConstruction at all.

Feel free to ignore that for now.  No PR for it yet, still works fine in 1.11

3 minutes ago, Nik Power said:

My KSP 1.11 complains, that MKS 1.4.0 pack has INCOMPATIBLE version of GroundConstruction inside. Is it supposed to be like that? MKS 1.3.0 did not had GroundConstruction at all.

No issues on my side if you include the GC folder in the release.

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

ATLAS modules and WOLF are included.  

Are the tundra parts currently placeholders for future modules? I really do love the new part artworks!

24 minutes ago, Danilo Coelho said:

lFuija0.jpg
is this real life or is this just fanta sea? haha

caught in a landslide- no escape from reality.

Spoiler

Open you eyes, look up to the sky and seeeeeeeeeee....

I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy.

'cause I'm easy come, easy go, little high, little low.

Anyway the wind blows, doesn't really matter

to me.

Congrats to @RoverDudeand the USI dev team. Screenies incoming!

1 minute ago, KawaiiLucy said:

No issues on my side if you include the GC folder in the release.

Are the tundra parts currently placeholders for future modules? I really do love the new part artworks!

For WOLF?  For now.  Bear in mind that WOLF infrastructure does not persist, so the visuals are pretty short lived.

3 minutes ago, Ksp Slingshooter said:

What happenned to the UKS mobile launchpad and shipyard? I unlocked them in R&D but they don't  appear in the editor and it says they were built by USI *legacy*

No longer supported they are only kept around so as to not brake saves i believe 

5 minutes ago, Ksp Slingshooter said:

Another question: If I want to build offworld vessels using the resources available, do I need to download Extraplanetary Launchpads or does USI MKS already support that?

MKS comes bundled with Global Construction (ground construction) which allows on site construction of vessels. 

Edit: Also, now that WOLF is live, can we get an easier to find description of how it works and what it does? I know there is one floating around somewhere, I've read it before, but I can't for the life of me track it down again.

Edited by TBenz

12 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Do 'Perform Maintenance' with an EVA engineer on the part you want to refuel.   Have the refueling storage nearby (does not need to be attached).  Just tested it in 1.11 and it works fine with the current MKS build.

Confirming updating to the current MKS you just released gives me the "perform maintenance" action button.

Kerbals throughout the system can have lights and running water again!

56 minutes ago, Nik Power said:

Can't ignore it - it freezes the game loading at final stage.
Downgrading all USI to 1.3.0

Odd - mine does not freeze at all and I am using the same stuff we released.  I'll yank it for now.

55 minutes ago, Ksp Slingshooter said:

Another question: If I want to build offworld vessels using the resources available, do I need to download Extraplanetary Launchpads or does USI MKS already support that?

GC is supported, EL is not but it won't conflict.  There will eventually be a third option ;)

Also  - handy doc for understanding what WOLF does and getting past the initial learning curve:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zft2Ka9gubOYQf4CQgvReTxpnP8_LQYNyHouEjQZqjw/edit?usp=sharing

screenshot1.png

The ICHV "Roche" on its initial Kerbin departure burn, headed to Valentine in only 40 years. Obviously the life support systems have not been figured out, but it can spare several hundred tons of payload, carrying only about 20 tons of propellant.

Centrifuges, cupola, and crew tubes from SSPEX, domes from MKS, truss from NF Construction, and engine from Far Future Technologies.

9 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

screenshot1.png

The ICHV "Roche" on its initial Kerbin departure burn, headed to Valentine in only 40 years. Obviously the life support systems have not been figured out, but it can spare several hundred tons of payload, carrying only about 20 tons of propellant.

Centrifuges, cupola, and crew tubes from SSPEX, domes from MKS, truss from NF Construction, and engine from Far Future Technologies.

SSPEX Stands for what? I can't remember this mod 

A few thoughts:

Seems backwards compatible with 1.10, I made a full backup of the KSP folder and tried, no glaring issues.

It didn't break my old 1.10 save, either, which was a pleasant surprise. The drill changes broke the economy of the colony, but most of that I can fix with an engineer and a rover full of specialized parts. No sudden krakening or missing ships, VERY happy with that.

Automated maintenance system is working MUCH better now, it used to hang up after one or two modules, now it goes through the entire base, major improvement in my book.

HOLY COW the Atlas parts are huge... I'd half convinced myself that, due to the textures and sheer size they would be inflatable parts that could be delivered on a "normal" rocket. Nope.

The shortcut recipes to make mat kits and specialized parts directly from the raw materials are a huge help.

WOLF seems like a cool idea, but probably a bridge further than I need at the moment.

I REALLY wish there was a "Mass Transit" way to move Kerbals around, because populating one of those domes will take forEVER...

Now a few questions on the new domes:

Are they supposed to sink into the surface a bit like the Ranger parts do? That tiny nub of a base has proven to be quite unstable, and sitting on landing gear puts all the entrances several Kerbal heights in the air. Messing around with them in the editor, they look really good with only the first bit of the black ring above the surface, but I can't figure out how to do that out in the world...

Have there been any thoughts about maybe adding some reactors and containers that match the profile of the "Cargo Bay" entrance? I'm trying to work out how to integrate all of that into a good looking mega-base, but having some of those parts just randomly sticking out messes with me :wink:

Overall, 10/10, would download again :cool:

KoS

2 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

@Kerbals_of_Steel - Atlas parts should have had a cradle - if not, something easy to sort with an optional mesh.  And yeah there will be additional ATLAS parts.  You already have harvesters that fit on them :)

OK. I'll check for the cradle again, but I think the convertible mesh would be a cleaner solution, have the existing version for use on colony ships and a flat bottomed variant for surface construction. The harvesters look AWESOME, and were in fact the prompt for "I wish there was a 3.75m equivalent reactor that looks like this"

Truly great work, thanks again.

Ok,

So am I understanding this properly? With the new Wolf system if I take ranger parts to build a base, I would just land the ship and click on something and the whole ship just winks out of existence? Kerbals and all? 

Or do the structures still exists? I'm mildly confused as to what sticks around and what doesn't.

4 minutes ago, priles said:

Ok,

So am I understanding this properly? With the new Wolf system if I take ranger parts to build a base, I would just land the ship and click on something and the whole ship just winks out of existence? Kerbals and all? 

Or do the structures still exists? I'm mildly confused as to what sticks around and what doesn't.

WOLF Parts are a different set.  So your MKS based do not change.  But at a certain point, some of the plumbing and resource chains you will probably want to use WOLF for.  They are like peanut butter and jelly.  For example, say you want a refueling station.  It will probably be an MKS base hooked up to a WOLF hopper, with WOLF handling all of the resource gathering and processing, then dropping the results off into your MKS base.  So now you have one base vs. several.  Or, maybe you do a WOLF setup for your supply generation, pulling in stuff from a few biomes - but have a life support hopper into your outpost to feed your Kerbals.

btw - will do another quick guide on working with transport credits and multiple biomes next :)