[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Hi,

I started my WOLF save without the Karbonite mod. I just added now. I have seen concentrations with my surface scanner, but not as a WOLF resource. Is it because I did not have the mod installed, or I really dont have Karbonite on Kerbin or Minmus?

Thanks

Hi, may I ask views on some design questions?

• Do unharvested resources have any use? Other than for cost and infrastructure reasons, it seems like you always want to harvest them to make them available.
  • Especially from Kerbin:KSC, it seems really important to dedicate a lot of resources to maintaining the KSC:Orbit depot. I think the most desired things in a Orbit depot are TC, and having to support the orbital TC costs alone from resources on Kerbin:KSC takes a lot of work.
  • Are people generally using their Kerbin depots to transfer raw resources to KSC to support the orbital depot and KSC MK production, or are you finding that building things like MK in each biome is worth the effort of hauling all of those WOLF pieces to, like, Grasslands, and transferring the refined resources.

Thanks

planning on starting my first USI-based save in a looooooonng time. Seems I've come back during a period of flux regarding in-situ construction. GC was recently unbundled and something else is possibly coming? If I'm wanting to start a save now, what should I do? 

4 minutes ago, drhay53 said:

planning on starting my first USI-based save in a looooooonng time. Seems I've come back during a period of flux regarding in-situ construction. GC was recently unbundled and something else is possibly coming? If I'm wanting to start a save now, what should I do? 

You could use the newest constellation, that includes Ship Assembling, WOLF and more.

https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI_Constellation/releases/tag/2021.03.12.01

2 hours ago, Gilph said:
  • Are people generally using their Kerbin depots to transfer raw resources to KSC to support the orbital depot and KSC MK production, or are you finding that building things like MK in each biome is worth the effort of hauling all of those WOLF pieces to, like, Grasslands, and transferring the refined resources.

Thanks

While I can I will produce everything at KSC with support from shore. But it is really up to what you want to achieve.

4 minutes ago, Tacombel said:

You could use the newest constellation, that includes Ship Assembling, WOLF and more.

https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI_Constellation/releases/tag/2021.03.12.01

While I can I will produce everything at KSC with support from shore. But it is really up to what you want to achieve.

I haven't yet decided exactly which version of KSP I will be playing on. Concerned that 1.11 will be missing some stuff that I consider required, but still looking into that at the moment. Does the pre-release still support KSP going back to 1.8? Also just not sure if starting a save with a pre-release is the best idea for me.

1 hour ago, drhay53 said:

I haven't yet decided exactly which version of KSP I will be playing on. Concerned that 1.11 will be missing some stuff that I consider required, but still looking into that at the moment. Does the pre-release still support KSP going back to 1.8? Also just not sure if starting a save with a pre-release is the best idea for me.

I'm pretty sure that the stock inventory system is going to be used heavily so I would go for 1.11.1 if you can.

12 minutes ago, asgkatz said:

Coming back to the mod after a while, I can't seem to find the base Ranger part (was it legs and pioneer module?) that the others attach to. Anyone know where it is?

There is a Scout landing module that is in the "Ground" catagory with the stock legs and landing gear. Is that what you are looking for?

KoS

31 minutes ago, Kerbals_of_Steel said:

There is a Scout landing module that is in the "Ground" catagory with the stock legs and landing gear. Is that what you are looking for?

KoS

I saw that. Talking about top left part here: zt0JLmR.png

Thanks for your response.

2 minutes ago, asgkatz said:

I saw that. Talking about top left part here: zt0JLmR.png

Thanks for your response.

At least parts of that, the legs and frame ring, are in the full constellation release under the Utility category (No idea which individual mod, sorry), but I've been playing with USI stuff for about a year and never seen the spherical pieces. They look cool, though. Good luck on your search!

19 minutes ago, gunt3rgam3r said:

The scout landing pod is from way back, I remember playing with it around ksp 1.0.  I thought that part and the landing frame was depreciated.

What's the setup for early colonies now?

18 hours ago, Gilph said:

Hi, may I ask views on some design questions?

• Do unharvested resources have any use? Other than for cost and infrastructure reasons, it seems like you always want to harvest them to make them available.
  • Especially from Kerbin:KSC, it seems really important to dedicate a lot of resources to maintaining the KSC:Orbit depot. I think the most desired things in a Orbit depot are TC, and having to support the orbital TC costs alone from resources on Kerbin:KSC takes a lot of work.

Thanks

Unharvested resources have no use - gotta use them either in a hopper or a converter.  For the rest, note that Kerbin First is not the only option :)  WOLF is a many faceted jewel.

looking at the guides that are popping up on the wiki and the sheer number of WOLF parts that are likely to be needed, it does seem to me like the most convenient progression will be to start on kerbin, then construct the next wolf modules and their transport vehicles in space. Just sort of leap-frog your way out from kerbin to reduce the sheer number of launches that would likely be needed.

That's looking to be my plan, anyway.

25 minutes ago, drhay53 said:

looking at the guides that are popping up on the wiki and the sheer number of WOLF parts that are likely to be needed, it does seem to me like the most convenient progression will be to start on kerbin, then construct the next wolf modules and their transport vehicles in space. Just sort of leap-frog your way out from kerbin to reduce the sheer number of launches that would likely be needed.

That's looking to be my plan, anyway.

WOLF parts got a volume reduction and a mass increase.  I'd say look at both options tbh.  There is not one single best way to do MKS/WOLF.

6 hours ago, RoverDude said:

For the rest, note that Kerbin First is not the only option :)  WOLF is a many faceted jewel.

Indeed. The tutorials are doing a great job in describing making MaterialKits to support off planet construction, but I don't think that's my first priority.

I'm looking to develop more of a Planetary Logistics setup first on the moons. Then, I would like to launch my big vessels from Kerbin by dropping the first stage and using most of the fuel from the second stage to get to orbit. Then I can refuel the second stage in orbit by transferring fuel from the moons and be on my merry way.

13 hours ago, asgkatz said:

What's the setup for early colonies now?

This is my temporary base camp/starter colony:

goZXPMW.png

nSXZTuU.png

fcqPXcI.png

Forgive the runway shots, I've mostly moved past the need for this size craft and all the existing Pytheas dropships have either been scrapped out or have had so many extra parts tacked on it's hard to see the original craft. As built, it's fully self contained with a workshop, small science lab, space igloo and greenhouse, enough to support a crew of 3 for about 3 months. The storage tanks have enough mat kits and machinery to get everything deployed, and there is also a tank of specialized parts to allow creation of the rest of the machinery in situ. You don't directly save any mass that way, but it allows the big mat kit tank to be shipped full, rather than wasting energy on a partial tank, and it also gives some flexibility for future use.

It works really well on Minmus and also on the Mun, though the margins are much smaller there. It can land fully stocked on the Mun, but I prefer to send some portion of the supplies with the crew on a separate lander they can use to return to Kerbin.

KoS

17 hours ago, gunt3rgam3r said:

The scout landing pod is from way back, I remember playing with it around ksp 1.0.  I thought that part and the landing frame was depreciated.

Those parts were from MKS-Lite, which was a separate mod that RoverDude maintained until October 2016 when he deprecated it and rolled some of the parts and functionality into MKS. The scout pod was definitely deprecated, I can't recall on the landing frame.

They're definitely not listed in the Ranger series parts on the Wiki - pretty sure they were both deprecated.

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/Parts-(Ranger-Series)#mks-ranger-ball-hub 

Edited by panarchist
corrected " a couple of years" to the actual year.

4 hours ago, Kerbals_of_Steel said:

It works really well on Minmus and also on the Mun, though the margins are much smaller there. It can land fully stocked on the Mun, but I prefer to send some portion of the supplies with the crew on a separate lander they can use to return to Kerbin.

The use of solar panels on starter bases om Minmus can be problematic. You will run out of EC overnight unless you have an insane amount of battery. Had to use the small nukes and power sharing to keep everything working and eventually disassembled the panels.

1 hour ago, Gilph said:

The use of solar panels on starter bases om Minmus can be problematic. You will run out of EC overnight unless you have an insane amount of battery. Had to use the small nukes and power sharing to keep everything working and eventually disassembled the panels.

I assume you mean the Mun, since Minmus's night is so much shorter. That particular one is the Minmus version, but the Mun version is similar. A small MKS nuke is certainly the easiest way to generate power over the Munar nights, but I've also made similar craft with various RTG's, and using some other mod components even have managed a non-nuclear version entirely. For that one I have some hydrogen/oxygen fuel cells and a splitter from another mod, so the excess solar is used to split and store water, then once the dark comes everything except critical life support is shut down and the crew lives on stored supplies and power. Once the sun goes back up, fire up the greenhouse and everything else, start converting mulch to NOMS and start splitting water again. Not a fully sustainable model, but fine for a couple months.

KoS

12 hours ago, Kerbals_of_Steel said:

I assume you mean the Mun, since Minmus's night is so much shorter. That particular one is the Minmus version, but the Mun version is similar. A small MKS nuke is certainly the easiest way to generate power over the Munar nights, but I've also made similar craft with various RTG's, and using some other mod components even have managed a non-nuclear version entirely. For that one I have some hydrogen/oxygen fuel cells and a splitter from another mod, so the excess solar is used to split and store water, then once the dark comes everything except critical life support is shut down and the crew lives on stored supplies and power. Once the sun goes back up, fire up the greenhouse and everything else, start converting mulch to NOMS and start splitting water again. Not a fully sustainable model, but fine for a couple months.

Nice...I never did get a non nuke version to work on Minmus. I even tested a huge battery power supplier to augment the solar, but it got too big and expensive.  So, I made the Duna power module as the core for all my starter bases and worked pretty well, because it also powered some of the smaller vessels I sent later. I knew about the Mun solar issue, so I built a fuel cell based power distributer with some  kit to keep the fuel cells fed, much like you did.

On 3/15/2021 at 1:30 PM, Kerbals_of_Steel said:

This is my temporary base camp/starter colony:

goZXPMW.png

nSXZTuU.png

fcqPXcI.png

Forgive the runway shots, I've mostly moved past the need for this size craft and all the existing Pytheas dropships have either been scrapped out or have had so many extra parts tacked on it's hard to see the original craft. As built, it's fully self contained with a workshop, small science lab, space igloo and greenhouse, enough to support a crew of 3 for about 3 months. The storage tanks have enough mat kits and machinery to get everything deployed, and there is also a tank of specialized parts to allow creation of the rest of the machinery in situ. You don't directly save any mass that way, but it allows the big mat kit tank to be shipped full, rather than wasting energy on a partial tank, and it also gives some flexibility for future use.

KoS

Looks nice but honestly I can't tell what half the parts are lol.

On 3/15/2021 at 4:47 AM, Tacombel said:

kc1kVVI.png

Whats at the top left? with solar attached?