[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

On 3/29/2021 at 4:33 PM, RoverDude said:

Given that there are still white parts in that pre-release, lights are incredibly low on the priority list - there's a lot going on right now.

Understandable thanks for your response!

16 hours ago, 256 said:

Hey @roverdude:

Love the mod, as always. One very minor ask regarding the Wolf Biome Survey. Is it possible to allow the Science slider to be slid further down, to like 10 (or even zero, for that matter)?

I like playing with tech trees and science settings that make you really work for advancement, And, even with the wolf biome survey science reduced down to 100, it still adds 2600 science between Mun and Minmus, which is balance breaking for me.

And yes, I know that I can always just not survey the biomes, since I'm not setting up Wolf routes at this stage of the game, but I'm going to be including a Surface Scanning Module on some of my vessels anyway to locate good mining spots for ISRU refuelling, and it's less than ideal to have that button there taunting my science completionism and having to not click it because it breaks balance.

I was about to make a post about this myself, it would be nice if we could have lower settings or to turn off the research bonuses from the scanner completely, since I just got back from a Minmus mission in my game with over 500 research due to the insta-research you get from that scanner. It was a bit shocking lol

Edit: I'll create an issue post since I never use github so the pull request stuff goes way over my head at the moment

21 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Nope, machinery consumption is an MKS converter thing.   As for ship construction, required resources vary.  You need MatKits for mass, and Specialized Parts, Robotics, etc. to handle cost.

I'm a bit out of the loop here but are you adding off-world ship construction and launch facilities ALA 'extra-planetary launchpads' functionality to your mod now? That sounds neat if so.

Edited by EleSigma

Ok thanks

I like the new shipyard, parts look more like the other mks parts than GC or EL. 

On 3/22/2021 at 3:31 AM, RoverDude said:

Just leaving this here... almost done :D

image.png

Is the left one the surface one and the right one orbit one? ore just different sizes

3 hours ago, Plomie said:

Ok thanks

I like the new shipyard, parts look more like the other mks parts than GC or EL. 

Is the left one the surface one and the right one orbit one? ore just different sizes

different sizes - both are orbital.  5m and 2.5m

Hey folks!  Been away from KSP for a while, but am just now getting into things again.  I've been spending some time getting a new modlist put together with an eye for colonization, and have decided to finally use the MKS and USI:LS mods for more than just a pretty parts mod.  That is, I'm actually leaving on all the settings and leaning into the idea of building with habitation/homesickness in mind, and not just making something that looks cool.  To that end, I have a question:  According to the wiki, when a kerbal moves from one vessel to another, that's when the H&H timers reset/adjust.  Does that still happen if say a spacecraft docks with a station, or does the kerbal have to physically leave one vessel to another (EVA vs. crew transfer)?  Does the same logic apply if I have an inhabited space station, and add a new wing that has a high habitation rating?  Will the overall vessel reset to the new limits and reset all the kerbals, or do they have to leave and come back?

Additionally, I've been curious to the idea of a spacedock that is logistically supplied by Kerbin.  So that I can head cannon the idea that it's getting supplied by off camera vessels, and I can focus on fueling/resupplying the spacecraft coming to and from other planets, instead of constantly launching the same mission again and again to fill the tanks of the station.

Thanks in advance!

3 minutes ago, Ghostshark27 said:

To that end, I have a question:  According to the wiki, when a kerbal moves from one vessel to another, that's when the H&H timers reset/adjust.  Does that still happen if say a spacecraft docks with a station, or does the kerbal have to physically leave one vessel to another (EVA vs. crew transfer)?  Does the same logic apply if I have an inhabited space station, and add a new wing that has a high habitation rating?  Will the overall vessel reset to the new limits and reset all the kerbals, or do they have to leave and come back?

The Home and hab timers will update, but the hab timer will not reset when docking to a vessel(as opposed to when taking a walk 'outisde').

3 minutes ago, Ghostshark27 said:

Additionally, I've been curious to the idea of a spacedock that is logistically supplied by Kerbin.  So that I can head cannon the idea that it's getting supplied by off camera vessels, and I can focus on fueling/resupplying the spacecraft coming to and from other planets, instead of constantly launching the same mission again and again to fill the tanks of the station.

Thanks in advance!

If you set up one or more WOLF facilities on Kerbin, and have routes from Kerbin to LKO, then you can use WOLF to populate any of the resources from Kerbin into an appropriate hopper in your LKO base.

(usually you would use electric rovers to set up  free on-kerbin transport then send resources from the KSC biome to LKO, as moving a rocket to a non-KSC biome to create a WOLF route would be a lot more difficult)

note: if you use a SSTO and you can fully refuel it at your station, you might even be able to get a zero-cost KSC->LKO route for supplying your station

Hey @RoverDude,or anyone smarter than me I guess, my game quality recently took a dive, so I was looking through the log and noticed this message was being spammed over and over. I'd estimate in the hundreds at least, and just wanted to see if this is something that needs to be fixed i.e. not getting the bonuses it's saying it didn't apply? Or am I stepping over dollars while chasing pennies?

"

[LOG 17:22:14.611] ExperienceSystemConfig: Added Effect 'DeployedSciencePowerSkill' to Trait 'Engineer'
[ERR 17:22:14.611] ExperienceSystemConfig: Experience trait 'Engineer' already exists, and trying to add a duplicate Effect of 'FundsBoost'

[ERR 17:22:14.611] ExperienceSystemConfig: Experience trait 'Engineer' already exists, and trying to add a duplicate Effect of 'GeologySkill'

[LOG 17:22:14.611] ExperienceSystemConfig: Added Effect 'DeployedScienceExpSkill' to Trait 'Scientist'
[ERR 17:22:14.612] ExperienceSystemConfig: Experience trait 'Scientist' already exists, and trying to add a duplicate Effect of 'ScienceBoost'

[ERR 17:22:14.612] ExperienceSystemConfig: Experience trait 'Scientist' already exists, and trying to add a duplicate Effect of 'BotanySkill'

[ERR 17:22:14.612] ExperienceSystemConfig: Experience trait 'Scientist' already exists, and trying to add a duplicate Effect of 'AgronomySkill'

[ERR 17:22:14.612] ExperienceSystemConfig: Experience trait 'Scientist' already exists, and trying to add a duplicate Effect of 'MedicalSkill'

"

42 minutes ago, thesandbar said:

Hello, just returning after a long time, and the WOLF stuff looks really fun to play with. Is there a changelog or something somewhere that I could catch up with? Specifically, all the stuff between 0.50.0 and 1.4.0.

Check the Git wiki, they have done a good job of updating it with the new changes.

KoS

3 hours ago, Kerbals_of_Steel said:

Check the Git wiki, they have done a good job of updating it with the new changes.

KoS

I checked, the changelog has an entry for October 2016, and an entry for December 2020. I was wondering if there were any major changes in between. Is it mostly just Cryo for USI-LS?

Nevermind - I see the 0.50.xx patches now, I guess there was a period of just compatibility updates while leading up to the big revamp that's happening now?

Edited by thesandbar

19 minutes ago, thesandbar said:

I checked, the changelog has an entry for October 2016, and an entry for December 2020. I was wondering if there were any major changes in between. Is it mostly just Cryo for USI-LS?

Nevermind - I see the 0.50.xx patches now, I guess there was a period of just compatibility updates while leading up to the big revamp that's happening now?

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki

This one has many, though not all, of recently released changes. Still constantly in flux, because Roverdude is awesome and keeps kicking out hot fresh content.

KoS

Hello and congratulations on your excellent mod Roverdude

However i have a bug, when recovering containers on Kerbin I get the value of the cargo substacted from my earnings, even if the container is empty

I saw that other people like Wookie699 had the same issue but i didnt find a fix yet

I only have Roverdude's mods plus Mechjeb, KIS and KAS installed over KSP version 1.11.1

Anyone else had this problem and found the solution?

56 minutes ago, Spacebud said:

Hello and congratulations on your excellent mod Roverdude

However i have a bug, when recovering containers on Kerbin I get the value of the cargo substacted from my earnings, even if the container is empty

I saw that other people like Wookie699 had the same issue but i didnt find a fix yet

I only have Roverdude's mods plus Mechjeb, KIS and KAS installed over KSP version 1.11.1

Anyone else had this problem and found the solution?

AFAIK is a stock problem, not MKS. There is a workaround made by Lisias, that seems to work.

7 hours ago, Tacombel said:

AFAIK is a stock problem, not MKS. There is a workaround made by Lisias, that seems to work.

Yes, it's a Stock problem. KSP is not calling IPartCostModifier on the PartModules that implement it when recovering the craft, literally rendering useless all effort to implement things compatible with a Career game. I probably affects even Stock modules, if any one of them use the IPartCostModifier.

The solution KSP Recall gives is not perfect yet, and it's working for everything that don't have ModuleCargoPart . A solution for this (and another missed use case we found) is Work In Progress by now.

Hi,

Can anyone share the calc that determines the route cost? I have two different ships that lose almost exactly the overall % of mass after a burn, but one has a cost of 1 and the other stays at zero. The ship that has a cost of one is heavier and loses more fuel mass. is it the fuel mass specifically that is used?

3 minutes ago, Gilph said:

Hi,

Can anyone share the calc that determines the route cost? I have two different ships that lose almost exactly the overall % of mass after a burn, but one has a cost of 1 and the other stays at zero. The ship that has a cost of one is heavier and loses more fuel mass. is it the fuel mass specifically that is used?

I don't know the math precisely, but yes, it measures overall mass lost (fuel, staging, accidental disassembly, ect) and runs the math from there. That's why solar rovers are the go to for surface routes.

KoS

44 minutes ago, Gilph said:

Can anyone share the calc that determines the route cost?

We take note of the vessel mass when the route is initiated and compare it to the vessel mass when the route is completed. The difference is the route cost, rounded up to the nearest whole number (so if the mass difference is 2.1t, the cost will be 3). So as @Kerbals_of_Steel noted, all mass lost between the origin and destination counts against you, not just fuel mass.

Thanks for the replies, so here is what I see:

Vessel 1 starts at 5.265 before burn and ends at 5.171, a loss of 0.094 and TC of 0 so far

Vessel 2 starts at 7.046 and ends at 6.942, difference of 0.104 and TC of 1

So, since I lost over 0.1 the second time, it rounds up to 1. Which means I cant stay below 0.1, I might as well go all the way to losing 0.9 for the same cost?

7 hours ago, DoktorKrogg said:

We take note of the vessel mass when the route is initiated and compare it to the vessel mass when the route is completed. The difference is the route cost, rounded up to the nearest whole number (so if the mass difference is 2.1t, the cost will be 3). So as @Kerbals_of_Steel noted, all mass lost between the origin and destination counts against you, not just fuel mass.

What happens if my vessel has an ISRU on it and refuels after arrival?

Or if it just has a drill on it and replaces fuel mass with ore mass?

Are these just situations to avoid?

5 minutes ago, thesandbar said:

What happens if my vessel has an ISRU on it and refuels after arrival?

Or if it just has a drill on it and replaces fuel mass with ore mass?

Are these just situations to avoid?

My understanding is that if you are able to refuel(be it a fuel station, or ISRU) then it is reasonable to have a zero cost route(and faking ISRU with just harvesting ore is up to you if you want to do that, after all, it is a single player game)

Phew, either i need to stop playing KSP altogether or just play it exclusively.

Each time i take a break for a month or 2 RoverDude comes up with new stuff which changes the game completely and i have to relearn MKS from scratch :D

I love that new Orbital construction stuff, but is there a way (presently or planned) to see up front what materials are required for vessel construction ?

I.E. i want to make an interplanetary ship which will take resources and assemble landers after arrival and i would like to pre-plan what materials i need to take with me  (and how much).

At the moment i am checking on the runway with just the shipyard module launched but that's a bit tedious to write all down (not complaining, just asking)

Also, what is the rule for which ships require what components? I see the usual MKits and Sp but then Alloys, Synths, Robotics, Electronics and Prototypes, not all ships require all of them but i have no clue of why

4 hours ago, Jasseji said:

Phew, either i need to stop playing KSP altogether or just play it exclusively.

Each time i take a break for a month or 2 RoverDude comes up with new stuff which changes the game completely and i have to relearn MKS from scratch :D

I love that new Orbital construction stuff, but is there a way (presently or planned) to see up front what materials are required for vessel construction ?

I.E. i want to make an interplanetary ship which will take resources and assemble landers after arrival and i would like to pre-plan what materials i need to take with me  (and how much).

At the moment i am checking on the runway with just the shipyard module launched but that's a bit tedious to write all down (not complaining, just asking)

Also, what is the rule for which ships require what components? I see the usual MKits and Sp but then Alloys, Synths, Robotics, Electronics and Prototypes, not all ships require all of them but i have no clue of why

A lot of that credit is for @DoktorKrogg RE the new stuff :)  The new resources are there to handle cost.  Basically we start with enough MatKits to cover the mass (so for some parts like structural bits, etc. MatKits are enough), then we fill it up with other resources (specialized parts through prototypes) until the part cost is covered.  Otherwise you could go into a very lucrative gravioli detector assembly business.

20 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

A lot of that credit is for @DoktorKrogg RE the new stuff :)  The new resources are there to handle cost.  Basically we start with enough MatKits to cover the mass (so for some parts like structural bits, etc. MatKits are enough), then we fill it up with other resources (specialized parts through prototypes) until the part cost is covered.  Otherwise you could go into a very lucrative gravioli detector assembly business.

but you created MKS so it's your fault ;) 

the new stuff is nice, in theory a single-launch colony is possible now (just need to provide the materials for start and then build the modules one by one in the correct order to create more materials)