[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

28 minutes ago, minerbat said:

but i want to have to deal with challenges of each requirement being handled in a different way. electricity for heating can be made with solar panels. water can be made with ISRU. oxygen can be made from water. nitrogen can just passively sit there and do nothing, but when it's gone it's gone. food requires good infrastructure of greenhouses and such. radiation is it's own thing entirely. and then hab space.

can the food part of this mod be disabled and just use the hab time? then i could use TAC for food and such, and the kerbalism science-only mod @Grimmaswas talking about?

maybe in stock i would like this simplification, but i want to try it with RO and make it extra challenging

1.  EC is already handled differently in USI-LS.   The rest, really is no more or no less challenge with one part or three.  It's a math game (unless you intentionally make something out of whack).

2.  TAC-LS does not have radiation or hab, last I checked.

3.  It would be clunky, but doable, and no support would be provided.  All of these bits are configurable.

trying doesn't hurt at least. another question, this mod adds a lot of different resources to make ships in space right? does it give resources in RSS in realistic locations and amounts? or is that something i can configure myself? or does that just not work with RSS?

25 minutes ago, minerbat said:

trying doesn't hurt at least. another question, this mod adds a lot of different resources to make ships in space right? does it give resources in RSS in realistic locations and amounts? or is that something i can configure myself? or does that just not work with RSS?

MKS uses community resources (which is configurable), so there is probably a patch out there for RSS but I have no idea if that patch has been added to the community resources install files. 

4 hours ago, minerbat said:

You would probably need to look at the configs. They are all defined under the community resource pack.  Each planet would need an appropriate config.  It would depend on if the RSS mod already included them.  If not you would need to make your own.

Here is an example from the github.

https://github.com/BobPalmer/CommunityResourcePack/blob/master/FOR_RELEASE/GameData/CommunityResourcePack/ResourceConfigs/Oxygen.cfg

As far as LS.  One thing to consider is that USI-LS is more like a "packaged" resource, but it is no less complex than TAC.  I used to feel the same way you do, but in real gameplay TAC is actually less robust.  The thing you have to remember in USI-LS is that a day's "supplies" is more like a military MRE.  It is a package that includes the days food, water, oxygen, toothbrush, etc.  

Overall in the MKS world you will get a lot more enjoyment and it will be plenty complex with USI-LS.

There's definitely more than enough to do in USI without managing individual oxygen and nitrogen levels. Though I get the RP appeal. Even something as trivial as a manned trip to Minmus becomes a little adventure with USI-LS, and depending on your difficulty settings could result in anything from no consequences to total loss of your crew. 

6 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

There's definitely more than enough to do in USI without managing individual oxygen and nitrogen levels. Though I get the RP appeal. Even something as trivial as a manned trip to Minmus becomes a little adventure with USI-LS, and depending on your difficulty settings could result in anything from no consequences to total loss of your crew. 

Well honestly I do and I don't.  For me thinking of a supply pack like an MRE is basically a similar level of RP value.  It is the reason militaries came up with the 24 hour MRE.  It is one pack that contains all the food/water/hygene supplies a soldier in the field needs for one day.

19 minutes ago, DaBakonAder said:

sorry rover but the truth is i kinda prefer Kerbal Planetary Base Systems

Good for you.  Is there a reason you felt the need to do a drive by  comment like this other than to kinda be a jerk?

@goldenpsp, @Terwini will try to find configs/figure out how to make configs for RSS then! thanks for the help! if i get it working, you can expect a RSS colonisation series!

and, in the case of life support, having one standardized system is cool if you just care about taking stuff with you, but not really if i want to use ISRU and recycling because those differ for each type of life support resource

1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

Good for you.  Is there a reason you felt the need to do a drive by  comment like this other than to kinda be a jerk?

A little bit wondering that myself as well. In an attempt to swing this in a positive direction, let me note that I also like Planetary Base Systems... and... it integrates quite well with MKS.

11 minutes ago, DaBakonAder said:

i wanted to delete that because I Realized that it was dumb but i couldn't delete it

All good.  Nice learning moment to realize it's always good to think a second before hitting that submit button.  We all make that mistake from time to time.

And yes KPBS are nice parts.  And as @rmaine mentions they work nicely with MKS so it doesn't have to be an either or.

29 minutes ago, DaBakonAder said:

really! Well i might try using this aswell...

if my computer can handle it.

MKS is a gameplay mod.  KPBS is a parts mod.  So KPBS gives you a different form factor for MKS bases, but the other way around is like comparing ham and hamsters.

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

MKS is a gameplay mod.  KPBS is a parts mod.  So KPBS gives you a different form factor for MKS bases, but the other way around is like comparing ham and hamsters.

So one is good to eat and the other is fun to play with? Hmm. :-) Or maybe we could throw in hamburgers, which are not made with ham. :-)

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Forbidden sandwich?

5 hours ago, Grimmas said:

Emergency rations. Now we know what really is in those supplies. RoverDude accidentally spilled the beans.

Wait, there are Beans in those Ration packs ???? !!!!

Edited by Jasseji

Loving the new shipyard look.

I've identified a (minor) bee in the current latest release with one of the WOLF parts - the 3.75m WOLF Crew Cargo Kontainer appears to have accidentally have been defined as a WOLF Cargo Kontainer instead (which means it appears as a kontainer with a Payload of 1, as opposed to what it should have which is Economy Berths of 14 and Luxury Berths of 7).  From looking through Github, I think this is just due to a mistyped line 59 in CrewCargoKontainer_375.cfg (which should read "name = WOLF_CrewCargoModule" instead of "name = WOLF_CargoModule")

I'm not particularly au fait with Github, but I do have an account (which I've not used for years).  What's the easiest way for me to propose the change on there?  Fork and then pull request?  I don't want to create unnecessary admin work for anyone if there's an easier/better way. :)