[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

1 minute ago, Plomie said:

Do you need alloys electronic replacementparts and robotics and matkit for orbital construction or only matkits. 

yes on first (although some items only require matkits and sp and some only alloys, matkits, sp, not everything requires all resources) there is no UI in VAB, need to launch a Workshop to the pad and check in the construction windows

ok thanks

I hope roverdude is working on that because it would be bit irritating to launch a workshop every time.  And i hope there is a model for the surface shipyard coming up.

Im building a space station with shipyard but i want the 5 meter one. Its difficult to launch so im first gonna send a smaller shipyard. and then build the big one.

I haven't used it al lot but as far as I can tell it depends on the craft you want to build.
Only MK isn't going to be enough I think, (think you also need SP) but you don't always need alloys and the other 'special' stuff.
Maybe someone else has a more precise explanation.

The fact that you need to make alloys, robotics, and so on, and the construction chain(s) behind them, makes WOLF really cool for me. It also makes me cry sometimes.
Damn you, exotic minerals and rare metals!

Short version:  MatKits cover mass.  SpecParts through Prototypes cover cost.  So bulky cheap things are matkits only, small expensive things use more specialized bits up through prototypes (which are 30,000 funds or so per unit).

Quick question: noted that construction ports are being made obsolete (being replaced by docking ports being given the same functionality, which is great).  If I've already got (now obsolete) construction ports on a craft, will they be compatible with the new docking ports that replace their functionality?  I assume from brief testing that the answer is no (which is a pain as it means I can't extend my existing LKO station any further now, but understandable).

31 minutes ago, Plomie said:

im not using wolf

you don't have to make them, you can also just buy them.

15 minutes ago, jhxmt said:

Quick question: noted that construction ports are being made obsolete (being replaced by docking ports being given the same functionality, which is great).  If I've already got (now obsolete) construction ports on a craft, will they be compatible with the new docking ports that replace their functionality?  I assume from brief testing that the answer is no (which is a pain as it means I can't extend my existing LKO station any further now, but understandable).

I think the answer is yes. Not 100% sure, but I think I have docked new and old ports.

@jhxmt if it doesn't work then you could also try disassembling the old ports on EVA and attaching new ones. If all else fails then just remake the station with the new ports and use the cheat menu to place it into the same place as the previous version. We won't judge you :)

Edited by Grimmas

17 hours ago, jhxmt said:

Thanks - done!  (First pull request I've ever done on a non-solo-developer repo, so apologies if I've done it in a less-than-efficient manner, the git workflow still trips me up sometimes).

Don't know if I am late, but you need to do the PR in the develop branch.

2 hours ago, jhxmt said:

The deprecated ports are still there, only that a bit out of the way.

36 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

@jhxmt if it doesn't work then you could also try disassembling the old ports on EVA and attaching new ones. If all else fails then just remake the station with the new ports and use the cheat menu to place it into the same place as the previous version. We won't judge you :)

Haha, that was my backup plan, but turns out the (old) construction ports do indeed connect to the (new) docking ports, as long as they're the right size - I was just messing up my docking approach.  A bit more care and some fiddling with the force settings on the ports got them to match up eventually. :)

11 minutes ago, Tacombel said:

Don't know if I am late, but you need to do the PR in the develop branch.

Noted, thanks - indeed, by the time I'd worked out how to do a PR the issue in question had already been addressed in another one, but it was a learning experience for me! :) If I come up with any other suggested fixes etc I'll make sure to do any future PRs from the develop branch, thanks!

20 minutes ago, Jokpau Gaming said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but when loading ksp (1.11.0) it gets stuck on the MKS light globe. If I manually remove the file, it works fine (idk if I have the latest version, it might have been resolved by now).

Once or twice.  :0.0: (a quick search of this thread shows 70 hits).

7 hours ago, Jasseji said:

yes on first (although some items only require matkits and sp and some only alloys, matkits, sp, not everything requires all resources) there is no UI in VAB, need to launch a Workshop to the pad and check in the construction windows

There's no need to launch a workshop - just go to your orbital shipyard vessel, note down the requirements.  

5 hours ago, Plomie said:

im not using wolf

Full MKS chains too.  But you really are going to want WOLF by then.

1 hour ago, Jokpau Gaming said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but when loading ksp (1.11.0) it gets stuck on the MKS light globe. If I manually remove the file, it works fine (idk if I have the latest version, it might have been resolved by now).

Been fixed for ages.

15 hours ago, RoverDude said:

There's no need to launch a workshop - just go to your orbital shipyard vessel, note down the requirements.  

yes, i know but launching a Workshop while you are designing a vessel in VAB is quicker than going to Tracking Station, loading orbital station and going back to VAB to check it ;) (especially if the Station has 200+ Parts)

9 minutes ago, minerbat said:

did i install it right? i only get "construction ports" and drills without texture added to my part list, and nothing else.

No idea.  You could start with some useful information, like a picture of your gamedata folder.

12 minutes ago, minerbat said:

@goldenpsp

https://imgur.com/a/yLKg03A

i probably just missed some dependency somewhere but i dont know what. i'm in the early phase of making a modpack for a youtube series

Looks like you pasted the folders wrong, for starters. Try moving stuff from the USI_etc_etc folder to the GameData folder. You should have the following top-level MKS-related folders in GameData directly: 

000_USITools, CommunityCategoryKit, CommunityResourcePack, Firespitter, UmbraSpaceIndustries

The paths inside the files refer to each other based on this structure, so what you have there will definitely break because KSP can't find the textures, models, etc.

On an unrelated note - it has begun.

Edited by Grimmas