[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Well, that's not how it should look like. I also recommend that you upgrade to a more recent version of USI/MKS, unless you're specifically targeting a very old version KSP (like 1.8 or earlier). You seem to be trying to install MKS 1.3 while the current version is 1.4.1 and the current-current version is the pre-release constellation from March

Edited by Grimmas

24 minutes ago, minerbat said:

@goldenpsp

https://imgur.com/a/yLKg03A

i probably just missed some dependency somewhere but i dont know what. i'm in the early phase of making a modpack for a youtube series

I think @Grimmasis mostly right.  You appear to have downloaded the zip files but not extracted their contents to the GameData directory as directed.  The folder names should rarely, if ever, have the version numbers embedded, so you are either downloading the wrong file, extracting the wrong folder from the zip, or are renaming the directory, which you cannot do without creating problems.

The contents of the zip file's GameData folder should be copied to the game's GameData folder.  many users simply extract the zip file's GameData folder to their game folder where it will add its contents, overwriting where necessary.

So, make sure that:

1. You're downloading the correct zip.  If you're downloading from GitHub, don't download the source code by accident;
  2. Find the GameData in the zip file, and extract that; and
  3. Don't rename any folder in GameData.

Or, you can just use CKAN to simplify the process.

I'm just trying to cover the bases.

36 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

The contents of the zip file's GameData folder should be copied to the game's GameData folder.  many users simply extract the zip file's GameData folder to their game folder where it will add its contents, overwriting where necessary.

yes i know that and i thought i did that, but apparently i accidentaly did something wrong at some point :P

4 minutes ago, minerbat said:

ok, now the loading screen just gets stuck at something called "MKS_LightGlobe"?

https://imgur.com/a/A5oIsSS

Go back a page and you'll see someone talking about the same thing and as goldenpsp mentions it's been mentioned 70+ times. A quick search and you'll find the solution.

On 4/15/2021 at 3:32 PM, goldenpsp said:

Once or twice.  :0.0: (a quick search of this thread shows 70 hits).

You should really do yourself a favor and use a more recent version of MKS like the one from March instead of the 1.3 version which is like 2-3 years old, doesn't start without manual tinkering, doesn't have the latest cool WOLF features, Atlas parts, or orbital construction parts, etc.

2 hours ago, Grimmas said:

You should really do yourself a favor and use a more recent version of MKS like the one from March instead of the 1.3 version which is like 2-3 years old, doesn't start without manual tinkering, doesn't have the latest cool WOLF features, Atlas parts, or orbital construction parts, etc.

i didn't know this one is outdated. why does the spacedock link still go to an outdated version then?

Yes the lightglobe thing was fixed in the 1.4.1 release back in December.

I took a look at the 1.3 zip on Spacedock just now and it has a GameData folder inside it which has - as expected - all the folders I mentioned a few posts ago. So your problem above was basically just unzipping the mod into the wrong directory. What you should do - with that version or with any other - is to unzip the archive somewhere else then look inside for the GameData folder, then copy the files inside that folder into your KSP install's GameData folder.

On another note, your Kerbal Engineer and your TAC-LS are also incorrectly installed and probably not working correctly (although your KER may work to some extent as the dlls don't rely on relative file paths). KER is also out of date :-)

Finally, MKS uses USI-LS for life support so you may want to pick one or the other. If you want to use TAC-LS along MKS it's possible but then you won't really get integrations for it in the MKS parts. 

3 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

What you should do - with that version or with any other - is to unzip the archive somewhere else then look inside for the GameData folder, then copy the files inside that folder into your KSP install's GameData folder

yes i know, and i thought i did that, but i just made an oopsie

6 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

(although your KER may work to some extent as the dlls don't rely on relative file paths)

it works fine, except that the rext at the top of the screen should be left and right of the altitude meter, but sometimes it is on top of it.

6 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

KER is also out of date :-)

i will get a new computer soon and i will have to install KSP again (and KER). so i will update it then.

8 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

If you want to use TAC-LS along MKS it's possible but then you won't really get integrations for it in the MKS parts

well, agricultural parts work basically like resource converters right? i probably could just edit the input and output resources config files. also see the discussion a few pages back.

Yes, they are converters. But you will completely lose the benefit of the life support integration with MKS which gives you predictable life support timers on a per-Kerbal, per-colony basis. Basically half of all MKS windows will become useless or give you wrong info. Your MKS parts will be just like another parts mod and it will be completely up to you to make it all work together in a coherent manner, which would involve a lot of modding work. Which is fine if that's what you're interested in. Just saying. 

In fact, if you do write a new integration for MKS and TAC-LS I am sure there will be some people who are interested in playing it.

Edited by Grimmas

if am mostly interested about the in space construction, ISRU, and all the other things, not so much the live support system that comes with it, because i think i want some more complicated life support for my youtube series. if i only change the food part, then i think the rest will work just fine? and if it doesn't, i can always still use USI-LS anyway. it's worth a try.

Edited by minerbat

It should work even without life support, I think. I haven't tried playing it that way. But in theory they are semi-independent mods. 

If you are into the construction stuff then you really want the March pre-release, it added a new orbital shipyard and new in-situ construction options. Previous versions of MKS relied on other mods like Extraplanetary Launchpads and/or Global Construction (Global Construction is still a great mod though, worth checking out). 

You'll just need to delete USI-LS from the pre-release if you want to stick with TAC-LS (go into GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries and delete the LifeSupport folder, that should do it).

Edited by Grimmas

I finally took a stab at local logistics using rovers today. Funny how I ended up doing WOLF before doing local stuff.

Some things I noticed the hard way through trial and repeated rapid unscheduled disassembly, may be obvious to veterans but some of it wasn't that clear to me so I leave this note for future generations of Kerbanauts :) Many Kerbals died in bringing you this note. Jeb alone died at least five times due to suddenly finding his rover teleported high into the air above the runway by KSP when coming out of time warp. Rest in pieces, Zombie Jeb. Valentina's still scrubbing the runway after that. 

1) To participate in local logistics, the scavenging vessel's containers (that will store the delivered goods) must also have the USI Warehouse module - not only the containers being scavenged from. I think I spent about 30 mins on this alone until I finally got it :blush:

2) The rover itself doesn't actually need any containers for the transferred goods (as was stated in the wiki, so no surprises there, though for 'immersion' one could choose to nevertheless add one).

3) I originally interpreted the wiki as meaning that I'd need two rovers, each within 150m of the producer/consumer, however one rover within range is enough. The rover also does not need to be within 150m of anything - the distance between each of the rover, the producer, and the consumer, must merely be less than 2km. So they can basically form a triangle, and consequently a star (hub and spoke) formation with the rover in a central location 1km away from and between a bunch of consumers/producers should be possible if desired. 

4) Consumer doesn't necessarily need a crew (for instance if it's an automated MPU). But it must have the Logistics Consumer module and be turned on. 

5) Rover-enabled local logistics won't show up in the Kolonization dashboard; that only shows vessels within 150m.

6) Finally, your rover pilot will starve without supplies (obviously). They will scavenge for supplies up to 2km away so you don't need to park them right next to their snack boxes, but the catch is that - as per point 1 above - your rover needs a separate storage part for supplies with the USI Warehouse module - the Karibou cockpit has built-in supplies storage but not the module so it won't start filling up unless the vessel contains another warehouse-enabled supplies container.  So just attaching a MiniPak to the Karibou is enough. 

Edited by Grimmas

WOW, I left  USI for a moment (2 years lol ), to play RSS+RO+RP-1 and s***t loads of new stuff came out.

Maybe with WOLF fully  self sufficient  Duna shipbuilding base won't become a 0.1 fps KRAKENtm magnet.

maybe after manned mission to pluto... ;)

Edited by ZAJC3W

On 4/18/2021 at 9:48 AM, Grimmas said:

I finally took a stab at local logistics using rovers today. Funny how I ended up doing WOLF before doing local stuff.

Rest in pieces, Zombie Jeb. Valentina's still scrubbing the runway after that.

Lol. Your Jeb can join my Jeb in Kerboheaven.

All good points, I too enjoyed discovering all this stuff. Wiki on my phone, KSP on screen, good times.

I have some pretty big MKS bases/colonies in my current save but 2 things make/made it a bit frustrating sometimes:

• part count: causes lag and Kraken attacks. To make a deep MKS chain you're just going to need a lot of parts in the end, which is fun and all but makes my potato cry.
  • micromanaging: I really enjoy planning my bases, constructing them, landing new rovers, connecting stuff, ...but the thing is that when it's finished...it's not finished:sticktongue: You have to do regular checkups to keep everything going (which can be frustrating with the high part count and it's effects). So sometimes it became a bit of a chore, you know?

So as you can imagine I really like WOLF:cool:
It took me quite a lot of gametime to get everything started (I wanted chains for MatKits, SP, alloys, robotics, synthetics, electronics, prototypes,...), which I didn't mind at all for the most part.
The only thing that was a bit "frustrating" were situations like 'damn I need some extra synthetics to make robotics, ok let's make them. Oh to make them I need extra ExoticMinerals, ok let's transfer those because I don't have them as harvestable resources. Oh I don't have any transfer credits left, ok let's make them. Oh to make them I need fuel .Oh I just transferred that to somewhere else.....Wait, what did I want to make again in the first place?'

But once that was all done it was so worth it. I have scrapped a lot of parts on my bases and fed them to replaced them with WOLF, I don't have to go check all the time because everything runs in the background.
I also think the orbital construction stuff is awesome, personally I like it a lot more than GC, where building took sooooo much time. Damn it, I invested a lot of my time to set up my production chains, I want my vessels to be built instantaneously!:wink:

Edited by modus
spelling

2 hours ago, modus said:

Oh I don't have any transfer credits left, ok let's make them. Oh to make them I need fuel .Oh I just transferred that to somewhere else.....

I've been spending some time thinking about the whole TC/cargo metric. 

While part count in KerbalLand can be high, shipping things to other bodies tends to be fairly easy because I can send unKerbaled supply ships full of mats, and that's not an option in WOLFLand. It's a great thing that we can set up :orbit to :orbit routes, but that requires Kerbals (pilots), which means life support, food, water, hab.... All of a sudden, you need a significant amount of TC from surface to orbit just to support one pilot and a few TCs. Also, the 1:1 ratio of fuel to TC makes having cargo routes from body:orbit awfully expensive.

The second part is that I'm questioning the need for having both cargo and TC. The transport computer metric is kinda fun and a generic way of measuring a cost from point A to point B, but the cost could have been just expressed as cargo capacity as a function of fuel, mass, and mass loss. I don't see the use for TC, as it now has been evolved from the older design as a consumable, to a newer one like cargo. Needing both seems like I'm paying twice for the same thing. I'm going to test changing the Transport module input to 1 Fuel for 10 TC and see how that looks.

I may write up some things and put in Discord when I get a  moment to try and be a bit more coherent. Thanks

9 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

WOLF routes don't need pilots though. What am I missing here?

To make TCs, you need Pilots and Quartermasters. To make routes, you need TCs, unless you can make zero TC routes.

Nothing. For transfer routes (or credits) you don't need any kerbals.

27 minutes ago, Gilph said:

While part count in KerbalLand can be high, shipping things to other bodies tends to be fairly easy because I can send unKerbaled supply ships full of mats, and that's not an option in WOLFLand.

The thing is you don't have to send ships full of matkits, you make a route and send matkits (and other stuff if you want) trough there. The setup for a continuous supply of matkits from A to B is much much easier with WOLF.

EDIT: oh, I see what you mean: "To make TCs, you need Pilots and Quartermasters. To make routes, you need TCs, unless you can make zero TC routes."

yeah you're right.

27 minutes ago, Gilph said:

The second part is that I'm questioning the need for having both cargo and TC. The transport computer metric is kinda fun and a generic way of measuring a cost from point A to point B, but the cost could have been just expressed as cargo capacity as a function of fuel, mass, and mass loss. I don't see the use for TC, as it now has been evolved from the older design as a consumable, to a newer one like cargo. Needing both seems like I'm paying twice for the same thing. I'm going to test changing the Transport module input to 1 Fuel for 10 TC and see how that looks.

I do have to say that I find the whole transfercredit system the hardest part in WOLF. (It's the only part where I cheated a bit after a while, for some of my routes I edited my vessel to a location to have a free route.)
Having no TC at all would be too easy perhaps, but yeah, it's not the most rewarding, as you say.

Edited by modus
ninja

6 minutes ago, Gilph said:

To make TCs, you need Pilots and Quartermasters. To make routes, you need TCs, unless you can make zero TC routes.

OK I get what you mean now. You're talking about all the infrastructure that you need to feed to the WOLF, Kerbals included, to produce TCs in orbit for the follow-on routes. 

BTW you can easily set up zero-TC routes if you want. I think the only thing taken into account is the total mass - so if your mass at the end is higher than at the start (because you refueled, at the end, for instance) then your TC cost will be zero. Whether this is 'gaming the system', 'cheating', or w/e, is another matter :)