[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

2 minutes ago, g_BonE said:

What determines a vessel being "too small" to establish a trade route? I have a colossus of 76tons sitting on the launchpad but the transport computer still gives me this message?

Do you have WOLF cargo crates?

4 hours ago, Tacombel said:

Also 

Probably not up to date but a good start. 

And as Roverdude remarks, keep bases small and in not connected sections leveraging local logistics and WOLF.

Thx a lot. After seeing those videos, I finally started to understand the basics :)

3 hours ago, g_BonE said:

What determines a vessel being "too small" to establish a transport route? I have a colossus of 85tons sitting on the launchpad but the transport computer still gives me this message?

screenshot0.jpg

SAS?   Make sure it’s on the same stage as the container, and the computer, the same - try that.

Edited by RookFett

2 hours ago, g_BonE said:

What determines a vessel being "too small" to establish a transport route? I have a colossus of 85tons sitting on the launchpad but the transport computer still gives me this message?

screenshot0.jpg

Ok, these might seem like silly questions, but just trying to make sure what you are doing here...

Which button are you clicking when you get that message...the WOLF Crew Transporter:Connect to origin depot or WOLF Cargo Transporter:Connect to origin depot?

I'm guessing that's a Crew Cargo container?

yes, i had a crew container instead of a regular one - took a while to figure that one out. They look the same in the editor and i just misclicked. So far things are going swimmingly now with transport routes established between Bop and LKO as well as KSC and LKO. Its a pretty steep learning curve but slowly getting the hang of it now. Also sticking Wolf modules together to just get what one desires feels like a whole different game, almost like a puzzle. After which its a lot of figuring on how to get the gigantic monstrosities to the places you want to deploy them. Its really fun and im enjoying it so far.

14 hours ago, modus said:

Don't know if I've said this before, but WOLF is awesome.

Yes, I'm really liking it. Great system for kickstarting a new station or base.  Doesn't just replace the MKS logistic systems, but synergizes with them. 

Anyone knows where can be a problem ?

I have a small base on Minimus with six Kerbals and space for ten more. Main module of this base is a Duna Pioneer module with pilot inside this module. From the description of this module, it seems that with pilot inside, the "Local warehouse" should see all kontainers around 2000 meters from this module. But even with the pilot inside the module, I can only see containers which are in 150 meters range :(

And there is "On/Off" button for this function when I right-click the module. There is only "On/Off" switch for the built-in Recycler option.

What am I doing wrong ?

45 minutes ago, Kerbals_of_Steel said:

Nothing. Once you start up a convertor that needs materials from those outlying containers, it should put out a pull order that draws raw materials into the storage on the converter and then the converter can do its thing. It's an automatic system.

KoS

OK. And the convertor must be max. 150 meters around the Pioneer module or max. 2000 meters around the Pioneer module ? Or only directly connected ?

1 minute ago, PavelKCZ said:

OK. And the convertor must be max. 150 meters around the Pioneer module or max. 2000 meters around the Pioneer module ? Or only directly connected ?

All the parts must be within the 2000m umbrella, and they must have local-warehouse compatible storage for all of the resources needed mounted directly to the convertor and the drill producing them. So you could have a drill rig with gypsum storage at the far edge of the range, then a fertilizer plant with both gypsum and fertilizer storage a bit closer, and then a NOM greenhouse in the main base with fertilizer storage. The automated logistic system would then start with the final consumer, the greenhouse, and pull fertilizer into it as needed from the fertilizer plant, which would then call for gypsum from the drill rig.

It's a pull based, not push-based system.

KoS

5 minutes ago, Kerbals_of_Steel said:

All the parts must be within the 2000m umbrella, and they must have local-warehouse compatible storage for all of the resources needed mounted directly to the convertor and the drill producing them. So you could have a drill rig with gypsum storage at the far edge of the range, then a fertilizer plant with both gypsum and fertilizer storage a bit closer, and then a NOM greenhouse in the main base with fertilizer storage. The automated logistic system would then start with the final consumer, the greenhouse, and pull fertilizer into it as needed from the fertilizer plant, which would then call for gypsum from the drill rig.

It's a pull based, not push-based system.

KoS

Ah so :)

thx for the explanation.

On 10/8/2021 at 2:40 PM, g_BonE said:

yes, i had a crew container instead of a regular one - took a while to figure that one out. They look the same in the editor and i just misclicked. So far things are going swimmingly now with transport routes established between Bop and LKO as well as KSC and LKO. Its a pretty steep learning curve but slowly getting the hang of it now. Also sticking Wolf modules together to just get what one desires feels like a whole different game, almost like a puzzle. After which its a lot of figuring on how to get the gigantic monstrosities to the places you want to deploy them. Its really fun and im enjoying it so far.

@PavelKCZ, you may find the table in this section of the Wiki helpful in figuring out what modules are required for different needs. It is a bit of a puzzle.

21 hours ago, Parmenio said:

10.8 supplies per Kerbal per day still a good number?

Yep, it's a configurable item, but that's the default. If you look at settings.cfg in the Life Support directory, kerbals consume 0.0005 supplies per second, by default. There are 21600 seconds in a kerbal day, so that works out to 10.8.

Edited by Gilph

Dears,

finally crew transfer function works also for me thanks to the latest update

some questions about crew transfer mechanic (did not find these info on the wiki):

1. Which are the WOLF resources requirements at the origin biome to set up a new crew route (I see it asks for Habitation and Lifesupport WOLF points)
  2. How the duration of the journey is determined?

Thanks

I discovered something about the new WOLF containers while building up a heavy lift SSTO. Check out the mass and part numbers in the engineering report:

zYiE5Vs.png

z1Gya4v.png

Notice the dramatic difference in capacity by swapping down to the smaller containers. Even when stacked to the same volume and dimensions, the larger containers are only about 40% as efficient as the smaller ones:

XxpTUYH.png

That is rather odd, since it's usually more efficient to ship a single large container rather than a whole slew of smaller ones.  Similarly with the crew containers, an equivalent volume of 1.25m Crew containers has either 8 Luxury berths or 16 Economy class seats, compared to 3 and 6 for the 2.5m version. In that case, though, the increased capacity is balanced by a dramatic increase in mass. The 2.5m Crew container is 4.5 tons, and the cluster of 1.25m parts 24 tons.

I think the Crew containers are pretty well balanced due to the mass differential, but the dramatic difference between the Cargo containers (which isn't just limited to the 1.25 and 2.5m versions), is certainly a bit unusual. Is there a deeper reason for the capacity progression I'm not seeing? When used for MKS, the containers are balanced in a pretty intuitive manner. One 1.25m container holds 2000 units of metals, the 2.5m container is 8 times the size and holds 16,000 units, ect.

Anyhow, not sure if it's a bug or a feature, but it caught my attention.

KoS

5 minutes ago, Kerbals_of_Steel said:

I discovered something about the new WOLF containers while building up a heavy lift SSTO. Check out the mass and part numbers in the engineering report:

zYiE5Vs.png

z1Gya4v.png

Notice the dramatic difference in capacity by swapping down to the smaller containers. Even when stacked to the same volume and dimensions, the larger containers are only about 40% as efficient as the smaller ones:

XxpTUYH.png

That is rather odd, since it's usually more efficient to ship a single large container rather than a whole slew of smaller ones.  Similarly with the crew containers, an equivalent volume of 1.25m Crew containers has either 8 Luxury berths or 16 Economy class seats, compared to 3 and 6 for the 2.5m version. In that case, though, the increased capacity is balanced by a dramatic increase in mass. The 2.5m Crew container is 4.5 tons, and the cluster of 1.25m parts 24 tons.

I think the Crew containers are pretty well balanced due to the mass differential, but the dramatic difference between the Cargo containers (which isn't just limited to the 1.25 and 2.5m versions), is certainly a bit unusual. Is there a deeper reason for the capacity progression I'm not seeing? When used for MKS, the containers are balanced in a pretty intuitive manner. One 1.25m container holds 2000 units of metals, the 2.5m container is 8 times the size and holds 16,000 units, ect.

Anyhow, not sure if it's a bug or a feature, but it caught my attention.

KoS

hmm... they should be volume scaled - likely a config goof.

It looks to me like the 120t plane has less unused space compared to the 100t and 111t planes.

If you were to cram in as many smaller containers as you could fit around the larger containers, that might make the total mass of each size much closer. 

5 minutes ago, Terwin said:

It looks to me like the 120t plane has less unused space compared to the 100t and 111t planes.

If you were to cram in as many smaller containers as you could fit around the larger containers, that might make the total mass of each size much closer. 

Oh, it does, but the 100t and 111t planes use the exact same amount of space in the cargo bay, except that the heavier plane uses 16 1.25m containers vs. the 2 2.5 m containers, and carries another 10 tons to orbit for the same space.

In retrospect I probably should have left out the Super Heavy version because it just muddies the waters, but I did like how neatly all 25 of those smaller containers fit inside that cargo bay :cool:

KoS